CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: installx_top: MtMutexCreate failed

Default installx_top: MtMutexCreate failed

I am pushing policy to an R55 NG AI and am seeing a strange error message on policy install failure:

installx_top: MtMutexCreate failed

I see it is failing on validate and install but when I manually validate it reports ok. Googl'ing the error produces nothing, even when truncating the error message.

Has anyone else run into this?

Default Re: installx_top: MtMutexCreate failed

I have learned that a mutex is a "lock" on key system resources that prevents 2 processes from using or writing to the 'locked' resource at the same time. This is used in multi-threaded programming as a safeguard.

But I have tried twice to push policy and have seen the same error message. It seems odd it would occur twice in a row a few minutes apart so I suspect a system-level problem.

Does anyone know if the error is occurring on the SmartDashboard server or the firewall? How would it be cleared if the 'lock' is somehow frozen? Reboot?

The problem was isolated to the management server running linux. The 'mutex' error refers only to Linux.

The lock files are written to $CPDIR/tmp. Delete those files in tmp and the problem is solved.

In my case, I ran cprestart and accomplished the same thing; the directory was emptied.

Thank you for posting this issue. I had the same issue on R62 with SPLAT. In my case, the management station had run low on disk space due to a large amount of logs files being retained. After I removed several log files, I rebooted the management station and was then able to access the databases and push policy.