CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: ERROR in execval: optimization disabled: displacement too large

Default ERROR in execval: optimization disabled: displacement too large

Hello,

Has anyone seen this message before after installing a policy? - "ERROR in execval: optimization disabled: displacement too large"

My SMS is running R80.10 and the security gateways are on R77.30

I have done some research and have not found anything that can resolve this. On CPUG the last postings were from ~ 2011.

Recent changes on the SMS include deleting a duplicate service object, disabling Application Control, and removing the "bittorrenprotocol" object in my URL filtering policies because I was receiving an error that it was a depreciated service after installing policy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check Point error 1-17-19.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	1420

Default Re: ERROR in execval: optimization disabled: displacement too large

Quote Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone seen this message before after installing a policy? - "ERROR in execval: optimization disabled: displacement too large"

My SMS is running R80.10 and the security gateways are on R77.30

I have done some research and have not found anything that can resolve this. On CPUG the last postings were from ~ 2011.

Recent changes on the SMS include deleting a duplicate service object, disabling Application Control, and removing the "bittorrenprotocol" object in my URL filtering policies because I was receiving an error that it was a depreciated service after installing policy.

Name:	Check Point error 1-17-19.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	1420
    In the old days this message generally meant that some kind of fixed internal limit had been exceeded in regards to the policy. In recent releases most of these limits have been raised to a point that they should never be reached, so I'd imagine there is some kind of circular reference between objects/policies in your configuration, perhaps involving nested groups? Circular references can also sometimes be caused by host objects being created that have the same IP address as one of your gateway object's interfaces, do you have any of those?
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    In the old days this message generally meant that some kind of fixed internal limit had been exceeded in regards to the policy. In recent releases most of these limits have been raised to a point that they should never be reached, so I'd imagine there is some kind of circular reference between objects/policies in your configuration, perhaps involving nested groups? Circular references can also sometimes be caused by host objects being created that have the same IP address as one of your gateway object's interfaces, do you have any of those?
    Thank you Tim. Yes, I do have host objects that have the same IP address as gateway object's interfaces. I will start by eliminating those and see if that resolves this.

I have a suspicion this error may be in the Application Control / URL filtering policy. I no longer use Check Point for URL filtering or Application control so I disabled those blades from all security gateways / clusters that had it enabled, however the error persists.

I noticed that under Access Control > Policy > Application ( is still present) and I still can see the URL filtering policy. (screen shot attached).
    Is there a way I can delete this Application Control / URL filtering portion of my external policy?
    My logic is if this is the place causing the error that if I completely remove it the error should disappear.
    I can only find an option to delete the entire "External-policies".

Name:	app url policy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1427