CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: R77.30 to R80.10 Management/SmartEvent upgrade

Default R77.30 to R80.10 Management/SmartEvent upgrade

Hello Experts,

I have a very interesting one at hand. A customer has a Smart 1-205 on R77.30 running Management, Logging and SmartEvent ....tell me right, whoever put this must have been on something...

Anyways, they now want to upgrade to R80.10... my first suggestion is going to be separate all of the three modules onto separate VMs, but the licensing costs will cause a push back.

Is it advisable to have all three moved to a single VM with strong hardware specs ?
    and is there any gotcha's when upgrading Management, and smartEvent from r77.30 to r80.10 ?

Many thanks in advance....

Cheers
    Bhav
    Bhav

Default Re: R77.30 to R80.10 Management/SmartEvent upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by bhavinjbhatt View Post
    Hello Experts,

I have a very interesting one at hand. A customer has a Smart 1-205 on R77.30 running Management, Logging and SmartEvent ....tell me right, whoever put this must have been on something...

Anyways, they now want to upgrade to R80.10... my first suggestion is going to be separate all of the three modules onto separate VMs, but the licensing costs will cause a push back.

Is it advisable to have all three moved to a single VM with strong hardware specs ?
    and is there any gotcha's when upgrading Management, and smartEvent from r77.30 to r80.10 ?

Many thanks in advance....

Cheers
    Bhav
    It can probably be all left on a VM, however I would recommend the following:

12 cores MINIMUM, 16+ preferred. Do NOT present the cores to the VM as hyperthreaded/logical cores.
    32GB RAM MINIMUM

And this is the important one: a fast disk path - this will be the main bottleneck. If the underlying hardware disk path is already congested due to sharing it with a bunch of database VMs or something the performance will be terrible.
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post

12 cores MINIMUM, 16+ preferred. Do NOT present the cores to the VM as hyperthreaded/logical cores.
    32GB RAM MINIMUM

And this is the important one: a fast disk path - this will be the main bottleneck. If the underlying hardware disk path is already congested due to sharing it with a bunch of database VMs or something the performance will be terrible.
    Thanks Tim, that info is gold dust.
    Will update on how i get on.

Cheers
    Bhav
    Bhav

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post

32GB RAM MINIMUM

Hi Mate,

I have made the following suggestions
    1. Move from Smart 1-205 to Smart 1-405
    2. Move from Smart 1-205 to on premise VM infrastructure
    - Split out the Management blades on to 2 separate VMs, one with management only, and the other with smartevent and logging. You will need new two separate licenses, one for Management and Logging, one for SmartEven
    3. Remove SmartEvent from existing Smart 1-205, and build on a separate VM

Cheers
    Bhav
    Bhav