CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Policy installation takes long time

Default Policy installation takes long time

Hi Team,

I'm running my environment with Distributed architecture and managing 2 cluster objects contains 2 firewalls on each cluster.
    The rulebase has nearly 350 rules for each cluster and no of objects are near to 1800.
    After Ransomware attack we started blacklisting IP addresses which is used to given by threat advisory team on daily basis.
    Now the no of objects increased to 5800 and it's growing day by day.
    On initial days it took less than 1.5 minutes for policy saving, verification and installation.
    But now a days it takes almost 2 minutes or sometimes even more for saving the policy itself.
    Verification and installation takes almost more than 5 minutes.
    Am afraid what will happen in future when the no of objects increasing more than 10000 or odd.

I have 2 queries:
    1.Is there any way to find out objects which never get hits inside the rule which configured long back.
    2. Is there any other way to blacklist the botnet IP addresses

Default Re: Policy installation takes long time

Blocking individual IP addresses is does not help prevent attacks from botnets, since you will never be fast enough to adopt to their dynamics.
    A properly designed security policy combined with the IPS and Antibot-Blade will block the bad guys anyway.
    Ransomware attacks are distributed in most cases by malicious e-mails, and there are the threat emulation/exctraction blades meant for.

Default Re: Policy installation takes long time

Quote Originally Posted by iamramu92 View Post
    Hi Team,

I'm running my environment with Distributed architecture and managing 2 cluster objects contains 2 firewalls on each cluster.
    The rulebase has nearly 350 rules for each cluster and no of objects are near to 1800.
    After Ransomware attack we started blacklisting IP addresses which is used to given by threat advisory team on daily basis.
    Now the no of objects increased to 5800 and it's growing day by day.
    On initial days it took less than 1.5 minutes for policy saving, verification and installation.
    But now a days it takes almost 2 minutes or sometimes even more for saving the policy itself.
    Verification and installation takes almost more than 5 minutes.
    Am afraid what will happen in future when the no of objects increasing more than 10000 or odd.

I have 2 queries:
    1.Is there any way to find out objects which never get hits inside the rule which configured long back.
    2. Is there any other way to blacklist the botnet IP addresses
    Management version? Standalone or distributed? Kind of important in this case ...
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com