CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SmartDashboard on macOS

Default Re: SmartDashboard on macOS

Ran into some issues, which stalled my progress for a while. I decided the fix was to rewrite most of the UI. Still not done with that, and still not past the issues in question, but I think I'm getting there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 18.59.23.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	1445

I am now using AppKit more directly rather than going through SwiftUI. With this change, I lose some nice development features, but I gain a lot of capabilities which I hope to put to good use soon. For example, I now have a toolbar at the top of the window. In this screenshot, it only has a single button which hides or shows the sidebar, but I'm working on a few other things to put there.

I really like the new "subtitle" feature added in the upcoming macOS version. To handle multiple SmartCenters, I started using a type of document which plays nicely with the database engine I'm using. This window is showing a document I named "2200", which is saved locally on my workstation. The subtitle shows the username and server it represents.

Made some big changes to how the sidebar works. Not thrilled with how it looks yet, but I am thrilled with how well it works so far. It's everything I like about old SmartDashboard's objects list and everything I like about new SmartConsole's objects list.

Made some advances and thought I would show them off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 16.44.09.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	1446

Dark mode actually worked perfectly right out of the gate.
    • Dramatically improved login. That's the phone button at the far left of the toolbar. The button and the subtitle tell you whether you are currently connected or not (here, I'm not).
    • Added support for object colors (had to build a bunch of color swatches in my project file, but only a single line of code had to change to use them). I still have some tuning to get the colors a little different between light mode and dark mode, but that's just simple tweaks to the named swatches.
    • Added action icons. For now, I've gone with a couple of different shapes to improve recognizability for colorblind users, or for people who run grayscale for whatever reason. It's a little hard to see in the low-res screenshot, but accept is a green circle with a checkmark cutout, drop is a red trashcan, and reject is a red hand.
    • Started work on a detail view/editor. I need to figure out a better way to do this, as the way I have it now is really tedious to work with.
    • Tested a lot more, including support for larger policies. For now, the biggest I've tried is 3600 rules, but it worked perfectly.

Now that macOS 11 is officially out, it's the minimum version I'm targeting.

Nicely done! Looks like it's time to upgrade my Hackintosh VM again ;)

-E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12