CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Cant Access Local VMs when on VPN

Question Cant Access Local VMs when on VPN

When I am on VPN on my laptop, I cant access my local VM on my PC, thats because VPN is set for Full Tunnel.

I don't want to configure split tunnel on the security gateway, I was wondering how I can exclude my subnet from full tunnel setup, is there any options?
    Last edited by jessica; 2018-05-10 at 16:40.

Default Re: Cant Access Local VMs when on VPN

Quote Originally Posted by jessica View Post
    When I am on VPN on my laptop, I cant access my local VM on my PC, thats because VPN is set for Full Tunnel.

I don't want to configure split tunnel on the security gateway, I was wondering how I can exclude my subnet from full tunnel setup, is there any options?

I tried to search on the forum but could find any one with similar senario , cant find anything on checkpoint support documentation.

Jessica,

You are using what they call Hub mode, so looking for that on the knowledgebase I found sk121766 for you:
    In Endpoint Security VPN Client E80.70 or higher, it is possible to exclude local networks from the Hub Mode.
    Find the following line in the $FWDIR/conf/trac_client_1.ttm file on the CMA: exclude_local_networks_in_hub_mode and update the value to true.
    Regards, Maarten.
    Triple MDS on R77.30, MDS on R80.10, VSX, GAIA.

Quote Originally Posted by msjouw View Post
    Jessica,

You are using what they call Hub mode, so looking for that on the knowledgebase I found sk121766 for you:
    In Endpoint Security VPN Client E80.70 or higher, it is possible to exclude local networks from the Hub Mode.
    Find the following line in the $FWDIR/conf/trac_client_1.ttm file on the CMA: exclude_local_networks_in_hub_mode and update the value to true.
    Thanks Maarten

I am getting this needs to be done on the Security Gateway, not on the Client machine (my laptop) right? And if we have to do this on the SG(FW) , will this open up , a split tunnel for all the other users or just me?

All settings that you do to trac_client_1.ttm on the gateway will be applied to all clients, there are some options that you can set to Client_Decide, but I don't know if this holds true for one.

The file will be collected from the gateway on a regular base. In some cases you want this file distributed from the CMA to all gateways (when you use multiple gateways with secondary connect) and there is an SK to force that as well.
    Regards, Maarten.

All settings that you do to trac_client_1.ttm on the gateway will be applied to all clients, there are some options that you can set to Client_Decide, but I don't know if this holds true for one.

The file will be collected from the gateway on a regular base. In some cases you want this file distributed from the CMA to all gateways (when you use multiple gateways with secondary connect) and there is an SK to force that as well.

Thanks, do you have option to exclude certain subnet only from the VPN and have everything else full tunnel?

Not to my knowledge.
    Regards, Maarten.

The reason you use hub mode might be relevant. Do you only want to force clients' Internet traffic through your central firewalls, or do you also want to prevent clients from talking to local printers, for example?

If all you care about is Internet access, you can always turn off hub mode and throw the whole public IP space into your remote access encryption domain. This is a little unwieldy, but you shouldn't need to mess with it often. You then include exact private networks you want to be covered, and all other private networks don't go through the tunnel.
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    The reason you use hub mode might be relevant. Do you only want to force clients' Internet traffic through your central firewalls, or do you also want to prevent clients from talking to local printers, for example?

If all you care about is Internet access, you can always turn off hub mode and throw the whole public IP space into your remote access encryption domain. This is a little unwieldy, but you shouldn't need to mess with it often. You then include exact private networks you want to be covered, and all other private networks don't go through the tunnel.
    Thanks Zimmerman.

We want all client Internet traffic to go through central firewalls but the client should be able to access there local VM on there local machine.

I dont know if sk121766 will work in this case?

Hiya

I have done everything as per sk121766

But still when I try to access the local network, the traffic seems to be going to the security gateway.

I dont know how I can change this behaviour and access my local VMs on my VMworkstation when I am connected to VPN.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am preparing for my Checkpoint Exam and need to access my EVE-NG VM which I use for checkpoint lab but because of this silly checkpoint VPN client, I am not able to access it on VPN.

Have you tried to create a local static route? That should override the client behavior.
    Regards, Maarten.

Have you tried to create a local static route? That should override the client behavior.
    Thanks , i will try to get the static route added.

But I thought following the sk121766 should have done the work and didnt require the static route on the host PC.

Is there any other option other than sk121766, to exclude local subnet from going through security gateways which is configured for HUB mode.
    Last edited by jessica; 2018-05-23 at 03:30.