CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Second Public IP Range / Topology

Question Second Public IP Range / Topology

Hello all,

i hope that somebody can help me in my case. I took a look in my documentation but i not found the answer i need.

I am running 2 CP 4800 in HA Cluster Mode. From our ISP we go a /28 range of ip addresses. This range is in the topolgy
    marked as external.

We got now from RIPE an additional network that i also want connect to my cluster. Our ISP will do a managed routing for the
    new network we got so far so good. I want to place the new network to a physical interface but i am not sure if that interface
    should be internal or external. In my idea i would choose internal cause the only external i have at the moment is the ISP.
    The users that go out to the internet are natted behind the gateway. In future i would like to nat special ipīs behind the new public
    ip.

So what topology i should use for the new network ?

Thanks for you help in advance
    Marco

Default Re: Second Public IP Range / Topology

If your ISP is routing the new subnet to the Cluster Address of your existing Public IP Range then unless you are going to deploy Systems with an address in the new range ( and I mean actual boxes or Virtual Machines not simply using NAT into the /28 ) then there is no need to deploy an Interface with the new range.

You simply NAT traffic to an address in the new range and it will leave the Firewall with the address in the new range as the Source. Reply traffic is simply routed back to the Cluster External IP whereby the traffic is looked and matched against the policy. No need to worry about the ARP as such.

If you are deploying Systems into the new range then mark the Interface as Internal and then use the DMZ marker so presuming your Threat Prevention Policy inspects External and DMZ then would still be matched.

The important thing to remember is antispoofing is just the opposite of routing. Do you know what will be out this interface? If it is a short, defined list of things, you should probably define it as Internal. If it is an Internet connection or participating in dynamic routing such that the things "behind" it could change, I would use External.
    Zimmie

Thanks for the answers, so i have to give some more details. I wanted to use a new physical interface on the firewall to connect a switch where i have
    my blade servers connected that will get direclty the new public ip addresses for these servers i not want to use nat.

Additional i want to place a new proxy server in the EDMZ. This server should get a private address that will be natted to the one new public ip. I need this
    cause i have between Checkpoint and ISP an Webfilter Appliance that is working in transparent mode. All users are natted per default behind the checkpoint gateway
    and i will use a new address to reach the webfilter with an other ip address so that i can build a second rulebase for another ip.

So the public ip range will participate in the internet traffic but not dynamicly routet. I just have an default route to my ISP Router and the ISP is Routing my public ip
    range.

So i can use the new interface with topology internal ?

BR
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marco_d View Post
    So i can use the new interface with topology internal ?
    Based on what you've said, I would say yes, I would set the interface up as Internal.

Keep in mind that by doing it this way instead of with NAT, you lose at least three addresses (the lowest for "network", the highest for broadcast, and one for the firewall interface).
    Zimmie