CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Max Processor Speed

Default Max Processor Speed

Hello,

I have 4 Check Point 5800 and 4 15400 appliances in my environment and when I run the dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed" command I am seeing some unexpected results.

On all four of the 15400's the appliances report unknown for the max speed:

[Expert@MAIN-EXT-FWA:0]# dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed"
    Max Speed: Unknown
    Current Speed: 2400 MHz

And on all 4 of the 5800's the current speed is lower than the max speed.

[Expert@msgcu-intfw1:0]# dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed"
    Max Speed: 3800 MHz
    Current Speed: 3400 MHz

I also ran the commands to check for voltage, temp, and fan issues and everything checks clear.

From Tim Hall's Max Power book I am under the impression that Check Point appliances should always be running at their max speed.

Is there something special about these two models that are causing me to not see the max speed for the 15400's and a lower speed on the 5800's.

Thank you.

Default Re: Max Processor Speed

Quote Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
    Hello,

I have 4 Check Point 5800 and 4 15400 appliances in my environment and when I run the dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed" command I am seeing some unexpected results.

On all four of the 15400's the appliances report unknown for the max speed:

[Expert@MAIN-EXT-FWA:0]# dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed"
    Max Speed: Unknown

And on all 4 of the 5800's the current speed is lower than the max speed.

[Expert@msgcu-intfw1:0]# dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed"
    Max Speed: 3800 MHz
    Current Speed: 3400 MHz

I also ran the commands to check for voltage, temp, and fan issues and everything checks clear.

From Tim Hall's Max Power book I am under the impression that Check Point appliances should always be running at their max speed.

Is there something special about these two models that are causing me to not see the max speed for the 15400's and a lower speed on the 5800's.

Thank you.
    On my 13500 appliances:
    dmidecode -t processor | grep -i "speed"
    Max Speed: 4000 MHz
    Current Speed: 2600 MHz
    Max Speed: 4000 MHz
    Current Speed: 2600 MHz

On my 11065 appliances:
    Max Speed: 2400 MHz

I feel like I am being ripped off by CP :-(

The max speed shown is if the processor is operating in "turbo" mode above its base frequency (2.4GHz). Normally a processor cannot operate in turbo mode for long (up to 4GHz in your case) unless the other cores are relatively idle due to the possibility of overheating. The intent of turbo mode is to temporarily allocate more cycles to an intensive single-core process. By design all cores should be able to operate at their base frequency at 100% utilization without overheating and subsequently being throttled.

As I clarified in my book's second edition (p. 39) all processors should always operate at their base speed (neither faster nor slower), as such turbo mode is disabled on Check Point appliances, and it should be disabled on open hardware as well. If turbo mode is enabled, the varying clock speeds are likely to interfere with the proper balancing of traffic load across the Firewall Worker cores.
    Last edited by ShadowPeak.com; 2018-04-27 at 08:00.
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    The max speed shown is if the processor is operating in "turbo" mode above its base frequency (2.4GHz) . Normally a processor cannot operate in turbo mode for long (up to 4GHz in your case) unless the other cores are relatively idle due to the possibility of overheating. The intent of turbo mode is to temporarily allocate more cycles to an intensive single-core process. By design all cores should be able to operate at their base frequency at 100% utilization without overheating and subsequently being throttled.

As I clarified in my book's second edition (p. 39) all processors should always operate at their base speed (neither faster nor slower), as such turbo mode is disabled on Check Point appliances, and it should be disabled on open hardware as well. If turbo mode is enabled, the varying clock speeds are likely to interfere with the proper balancing of traffic load across the Firewall Worker cores.
    Then how do explain the fact that on the Power-1 11065, the current CPU speed is always shown at 2400MHz, the same as max Speed, ALL THE TIMES. Is it because there is no turbo with CPU running on Power-1 11065?

On my 11065 appliances:
    Last edited by cciesec2006; 2018-04-26 at 08:58.

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    Then how do explain the fact that on the Power-1 11065, the current CPU speed is always shown at 2400MHz, the same as max Speed, ALL THE TIMES. Is it because there is no turbo with CPU running on Power-1 11065?

On my 11065 appliances:
    The Intel Xeon E5530 used in that model has a base speed of 2.4 GHz and a possible turbo speed of 2.66 GHz, I'm assuming they are both showing 2400 because turbo mode is disabled.
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

What confuses me is that I am not running open hardware and on page 37 of your book it reads "all processors should be running at maximum speed at all times."

The copy of dmidecode Check Point includes in GAiA is from ~2005. I suspect it may just not know how to interpret some data from these more modern processors. If all you want is the nominal speed, I would use 'dmidecode -t processor' to find the model.

On a 13800:
    Code:
    [Expert@MyFW1 Standby]# dmidecode -t processor | grep Version
    	Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz
    	Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz
    Most processors will list their nominal speed right there. For others, you may need to look them up on ark.intel. ARK will also tell you things like the turbo multipliers and max clock speed.
    Zimmie

Thank you Bob. When I run dmidecode -t processor | grep Version, the speed shown there is what my security gateways are actually running at:)

Keep in mind, that isn't a detected or measured clock rate. It's basically like running 'fw ver'. It just prints an identifier from the hardware. If you have certain performance or energy-saving features (such as SpeedStep) enabled, your system can be running at a different actual rate from the nominal rate. Also, if you are doing heavily single-threaded work, the processor may power off some cores and clock the remaining cores up (Intel Turbo Boost).
    Zimmie