CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Appliance slot map

Default Appliance slot map

My organization recently switched to a "smart hands" model for datacenter work, so my team is no longer supposed to go to the DC. Many of Check Point's appliances have several slots. These slots are unlabeled. I am finding it very challenging to give specific port directions to remote people. It's especially irritating with the high-end boxes with two rows of slots. Without touching one, guess which slot on a 23800 is number 2.

The boxes with multiple slots all seem to have the little LCD on them. By default, it shows a Check Point logo. Immediately next to it is ... another Check Point logo. This seems duplicative.

Could the LCD screensaver image be changed to a slot map for the box?
    Zimmie

Default Re: Appliance slot map

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    My organization recently switched to a "smart hands" model for datacenter work, so my team is no longer supposed to go to the DC. Many of Check Point's appliances have several slots. These slots are unlabeled. I am finding it very challenging to give specific port directions to remote people. It's especially irritating with the high-end boxes with two rows of slots. Without touching one, guess which slot on a 23800 is number 2.

The boxes with multiple slots all seem to have the little LCD on them. By default, it shows a Check Point logo. Immediately next to it is ... another Check Point logo. This seems duplicative.

Could the LCD screensaver image be changed to a slot map for the box?
    Doesn't ethtool also have a way to identify a port? I lost multiple days trying to understand the ethernet naming convention in ubuntu at one point. I found sanity only after looking cthulhu right in the face.

Love the hacking LCD idea. I think phoneboy brought up the super unsupportedness of it, but that would be super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Doesn't ethtool also have a way to identify a port? I lost multiple days trying to understand the ethernet naming convention in ubuntu at one point. I found sanity only after looking cthulhu right in the face.

Love the hacking LCD idea. I think phoneboy brought up the super unsupportedness of it, but that would be super cool.
    ethtool -p will blink the link light. This requires you be up and running a command to the time of the change. It also requires that the box be up enough to run commands at all (making it problematic for initial installations).

I’m thinking about filing this as a real RFE. It should be super easy for the developers to make a new, small bitmap per model with the slot map and roll it into an update. Ideally, it should also include the drive slot numbers for machines which have them, as I know of no good command to blink lights on a failed hard drive.
    Zimmie

ethtool -p will blink the link light. This requires you be up and running a command to the time of the change. It also requires that the box be up enough to run commands at all (making it problematic for initial installations).

I’m thinking about filing this as a real RFE. It should be super easy for the developers to make a new, small bitmap per model with the slot map and roll it into an update. Ideally, it should also include the drive slot numbers for machines which have them, as I know of no good command to blink lights on a failed hard drive.
    In any kind of collocation smart/remote hands situation, color-coded network cables and/or a labelmaker are your best friend. Having a picture of the system/rack is a must as well.
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    In any kind of collocation smart/remote hands situation, color-coded network cables and/or a labelmaker are your best friend. Having a picture of the system/rack is a must as well.
    Yep, which is why I have already requested through my sales team an SK article or the like about identifying appliances and cards.

A label maker is only as helpful as the space you have for labels. There isn’t enough front-panel space to put the labels next to the slots. You could stick a “slot 1” label on the card in slot 1, but then it can fall out of sync with the slot number if you move it. It’s more steps for someone to remember.

Ultimately, this is another way I think Check Point’s “appliances” are amateur-hour through and through. They do not take their hardware seriously, so why should I? Literally every other server and appliance vendor I have worked with in over a decade has numbered slots.

Unlike most of the other things which make their appliances awful (non-standard PCI cards, ports on the wrong side, airflow in the wrong direction, deeply inadequate LOM, no cable management, the worst RMA process I have ever used, &c.), this one should be easy to fix post-sale, so I’m handing them a way to improve the situation.
    Zimmie

Yep, which is why I have already requested through my sales team an SK article or the like about identifying appliances and cards.

A label maker is only as helpful as the space you have for labels. There isn’t enough front-panel space to put the labels next to the slots. You could stick a “slot 1” label on the card in slot 1, but then it can fall out of sync with the slot number if you move it. It’s more steps for someone to remember.

Ultimately, this is another way I think Check Point’s “appliances” are amateur-hour through and through. They do not take their hardware seriously, so why should I? Literally every other server and appliance vendor I have worked with in over a decade has numbered slots.

Unlike most of the other things which make their appliances awful (non-standard PCI cards, ports on the wrong side, airflow in the wrong direction, deeply inadequate LOM, no cable management, the worst RMA process I have ever used, &c.), this one should be easy to fix post-sale, so I’m handing them a way to improve the situation.
    I can't disagree with you on this. Checkpoint is the "cheapest" company I've ever come across. Back in 2011, when I had to RMA one the checkpoint appliances, I (the customer) had to pay for the shipping, as it was stated on the checkpoint website itself. I couldn't believe it with my own eye. I've been doing it for a long time with at least 50 different vendors and checkpoint is the only that requires customer to pay for shipping for RMA products that are broken in the first place.

It further stereotypes the perception of stinginess of, you know where I am going with this.

Although the LCD can’t be changed to a port map it can be changed to something else then CheckPoint logo.

The LCD offers the following capabilities:
    Configuration – Mgmt interface network configuration
    Maintenance – Reboot, HW diagnostic tool, grub menu
    Monitoring – Showing machine state (Initializing/Loading/Reverting/Installing)
    Identification – Machine model
    Screensaver – Machine Model/Hostname/Clock/Floating logo

If you’d like the LCD can be also locked with a password so only the administrator will be able to control it.

For more information visit:
    sk71480
    sk102686

I am aware of what is currently supported. I find that insufficient. That's why I posted to the "Feedback To Check Point" forum. 😉
    Zimmie

I'm going to break protocol here and skip everything in the middle and go right for the head shot.

I double dog dare you to do it!

Not that i think anything will happen, but it would be nice if you hacked it and documented how you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    I'm going to break protocol here and skip everything in the middle and go right for the head shot.

I double dog dare you to do it!

Not that i think anything will happen, but it would be nice if you hacked it and documented how you did it.
    I've been looking into it, but it's challenging without a spare box sitting around with an LCD. I don't want to just change stuff on production firewalls without already knowing what it will do. Definitely poking around the filesystem as I have time, though.
    Zimmie