CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Moving CMA from one MDS env to a different one

Default Moving CMA from one MDS env to a different one

Hi all, i'm starting a project where i'll be moving a CMA out of one MDS into a completely different MDS. The source CMA has global policy the destination MDS has no global policy.

IP will change
    Hostname will not.

Any gotchas i should be aware of? Someone else has run through the process once already but i haven't. This is a bit new to me but everything is VMed so we'll be trying it there first.

Default Re: Moving CMA from one MDS env to a different one

Disable Global policy prior to migration
    Last edited by Yonathan; 2018-03-22 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    Disable Global policy prior to migration

I've done quite a bit of these on NGx R65 and R70 but not since. It is a very simple process, not got-cha.

yes, you have to remove global policy from the existing prior to the migration. In other words, remove global policy from the CMA before you stop the CMA and get those 4 directories, tar them up and move them over the new MDS and begin your cma_migrate process.

I did lots of these around the R60(ish) days. Always worked pretty well, and thankfully I never had to deal with Global Policy.

So if they had it working well back then, you should be OK now.

The only other thing that might be relevant is making sure you handle that changed IP, since the policy on the managed firewalls probably won't allow connections from those systems. I used to create dummy objects in the old CMA with the new IPs, and give that same access as the existing management IP. Push policy from old system, then when you switch to the new system, it will allow management connections from the new IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by northlandboy View Post
    I did lots of these around the R60(ish) days. Always worked pretty well, and thankfully I never had to deal with Global Policy.

So if they had it working well back then, you should be OK now.

The only other thing that might be relevant is making sure you handle that changed IP, since the policy on the managed firewalls probably won't allow connections from those systems. I used to create dummy objects in the old CMA with the new IPs, and give that same access as the existing management IP. Push policy from old system, then when you switch to the new system, it will allow management connections from the new IPs.
    When you change the IP address of the CMA, don't you have to break SIC on the gateways anyway and re-SIC with the new CMA?

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    When you change the IP address of the CMA, don't you have to break SIC on the gateways anyway and re-SIC with the new CMA?
    That's a good question. If the CMA is moving to a completely different SIC domain (i.e., a whole separate MDS with no trust relationship with the original MDS), you would probably need to reestablish SIC. I'd expect that to work like an 'fwm sic_reset' on a SmartCenter.

Moving a CMA between MDSs in the same SIC domain (e.g., moving CMAs from a manager+container into a separate container) shouldn't require that, though. That should be more like changing the IP of a SmartCenter without resetting the ICA.
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    That's a good question. If the CMA is moving to a completely different SIC domain (i.e., a whole separate MDS with no trust relationship with the original MDS), you would probably need to reestablish SIC. I'd expect that to work like an 'fwm sic_reset' on a SmartCenter.

Moving a CMA between MDSs in the same SIC domain (e.g., moving CMAs from a manager+container into a separate container) shouldn't require that, though. That should be more like changing the IP of a SmartCenter without resetting the ICA.
    Completely agreed with your above statement. However, the OP said "Hi all, i'm starting a project where i'll be moving a CMA out of one MDS into a completely different MDS"

Based on that statement, I say it is a different SIC domain :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    Completely agreed with your above statement. However, the OP said "Hi all, i'm starting a project where i'll be moving a CMA out of one MDS into a completely different MDS"

Based on that statement, I say it is a different SIC domain :-)
    Completed testing this morning. Well... can never have too much testing...

Did not remove global policy first.

Kept hostname of cma the same. Created a dummy vm firewall in pre move lab replication. Set sic on gateway. Added new cma ip to local policy for all checkpoint services both directions ( what north said basically ).

Exported cma
    Exported global policy
    Backed up lab firewall
    Restored lab firewall in new lab (so many labs!)
    Created cma (didn’t start it)
    Imported cma
    Major complaints about invalid licenses. Shell script loop to delete those
    Import global policy (dst mds has no global policy)
    Add new cma license
    Open dashboard test sic to restored gateway. Works ( no sic reset needed)
    Install policy goes without issue.
    No logs.
    Restart fwd
    Now have logs
    Last edited by jflemingeds; 2018-03-23 at 09:52.

Last year at this time I finished moving a set of 110 R77.30 CMA's and 50 more form 2 sets of different (VM and physical) servers to a new set of 3 MDS servers. Only snags I had was that sometimes after a policy push a VPN would die and would only come back after another policy push. But normally always after pushing the policy the logs started coming in without doing anything else.

The only problem is and remains the embedded boxes, even though you can update the ones with a fixed IP, the ones with a DAIP will not reconnect to the new management, so you need to update them from the device itself. So check for those IP's in Smatview Monitor before you migrate and updat them once the migration has worked out fine.
    If you really want I can even give you all the steps I normally did for each CMA.
    Regards, Maarten.
    Triple MDS on R77.30, MDS on R80.10, VSX, GAIA.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. No smb firewall so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by msjouw View Post
    Last year at this time I finished moving a set of 110 R77.30 CMA's and 50 more form 2 sets of different (VM and physical) servers to a new set of 3 MDS servers. Only snags I had was that sometimes after a policy push a VPN would die and would only come back after another policy push. But normally always after pushing the policy the logs started coming in without doing anything else.

The only problem is and remains the embedded boxes, even though you can update the ones with a fixed IP, the ones with a DAIP will not reconnect to the new management, so you need to update them from the device itself. So check for those IP's in Smatview Monitor before you migrate and updat them once the migration has worked out fine.
    If you really want I can even give you all the steps I normally did for each CMA.
    Hi,
    I am working on exact same requirement, moving a CMA to another MDS, new hostname, new IP address. Never did this before, I will appreciate if you email me all the steps.

For all the others as well, for a target R77.30 MDS these are the steps to migrate a CMA to another MDS, either with a higher version or with other name / IP. The migration towards R80.10 is quite similar but not all the way, the differences are in the creation of the new Domain, this needs to be done from the command line and also the import command is different. Also keep in mind that a Global Policy will also cause issues, unless you have exported and imported the global policy first it is better to remove it before migrating.
    So here we go:

## All commands are executed on the Source MDS (Unless instructed otherwise)
    mdsenv <Old-DomainName>
    fw logswitch
    mdsstop_customer <Old-DomainName>
    cd $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools
    ./upgrade_export /var/log/export-<Old-DomainName>.tgz

export copy:
    scp /home/admin/export-*.tgz admin@<IP Target MDS>:/home/admin/

## on target MDS create a new Domain with name <New-DomainName>, do not start!! and import file:
    /home/admin/export-<Old-DomainName>.tgz

## As soon as the domain is created you can start below copying of the logfiles (incl Audit log) all on the Source MDS
    mv /home/admin/export-*.tgz /home/admin/done/.
    cd /opt/CPmds-R77/customers/<Old-DomainName>/CPsuite-R77/fw1/log
    mv fw.adtlog 2018-04-16.adtlog
    mv fw.adtlogaccount_ptr 2018-04-16.adtlogaccount_ptr
    mv fw.adtloginitial_ptr 2018-04-16.adtloginitial_ptr
    mv fw.adtlogptr 2018-04-16.adtlogptr
    scp /opt/CPmds-R77/customers/<Old-DomainName>/CPsuite-R77/fw1/log/201* admin@<IP Target MDS>:/opt/CPmds-R77/customers/<New-DomainName>/CPsuite-R77/fw1/log/
    Regards, Maarten.
    Triple MDS on R77.30, MDS on R80.10, VSX, GAIA.