CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: SMVT cannot read the license on the Log server

Default SMVT cannot read the license on the Log server

Hello team,

I am using SMVT to log into my log server running R80. For some reason my SMVT complains that the trail license on the server has expired. I checked the license in the log server WebUI and CLI (All good there), updated the contracts file again and double checked if there are contracts for the log server in Smartupdate (All good there)

Is there anything that I am missing? or SMVT is being slowly taken out from R80 ?

Also is there any command to check if the gateways are logging to the log server properly and command to see the log count. #cpstat -f log_server mg and #cpstat -f indexer mg are not working on the log server.

Please avoid the debate between smartlog and smvt.

Thanks.

Default Re: SMVT cannot read the license on the Log server

While the binary for SmartView Tracker is still installed as part R80+ SmartConsole, it's formally deprecated.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

What exactly do you need from SmartView Tracker? There may be some other way to get the information you're trying to get with it.
    Zimmie

Nothing specific but just want to use it (Old CP habits). When I launch it it says your trail license has expired.

What happens if you throw an eval on the SmartCenter?

I know you said you didn't want to hear about SmartLog, but it has been The Way Forward™ for a few years, now. It's possible Tracker is just broken in R80. If so, I doubt it will be fixed.
    Zimmie

Agreed, not thinking CP will fix it if its broken.

The Log server already has the license. I can launch the smartconsole to the log server just fine.

Well yeah, but an eval might get it working. It's a tool we used in the TAC all the time. Sometimes, different versions change where a given license needs to be applied for a feature to work, for example. One version of Provider-1 needed SNX licenses applied to the MDS, the next HFA on that version needed it on the CMAs, the next HFA needed it on the MDS, then the next HFA needed it on both at the same time.

There are occasional licensing bugs, and testing with an eval helps check for them.

On the other hand, it's also entirely possible R80 has changed the management enough that Tracker is just failing to connect at all. The client may interpret this as a licensing failure (I can't connect to get a license. Must be a license problem!) kind of like the Dashboard's "Please make sure the SmartCenter server is up and running and that you are defined as a GUI client".
    Zimmie

For what it's worth, I was able to fire up SmartView Tracker on R80.10 without any licensing errors.
    Granted, I am using the standard "All-in-One" eval license and it's a management system.
    Like we've said before, it's been deprecated, and the likelihood of receiving a fix for it is pretty low.
    Aside from "old habits" it would be helpful to know what functionality you actually use in SmartView Tracker that isn't already in SmartLog.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own