CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: pre upgrade check - INSPECT manual changes

Default pre upgrade check - INSPECT manual changes

Has anyone come across the following warning when running the pre upgrade checker (I am trying to upgrade from R77.20 to R80.10 and have downloaded the R80.10 Upgrade tools)

Warnings: It is recommended to resolve the following problems.
    ================================================== ============

Title: INSPECT manual changes
    -----
    * Description: Some changes in Security Gateway behaviour require manual changes
    in INSPECT files. These files are overwritten with new versions when you upgrade
    . Sometimes, you must apply the changes again on the new INSPECT files. In other
    cases, there are new GUI options to set.
    * Impacts: If changes are lost after the upgrade, the Security Gateway might not
    work as expected.
    * To Do: Check if changes are needed in the new version, if so, merge them manually to the relevant file.

This problem will occur in the following files:

R80 Gateways (c:\windows\fw1\r77\fw1\\lib)
    "implied_rules.def"

Thanks

Default Re: pre upgrade check - INSPECT manual changes

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSmith78 View Post
    Has anyone come across the following warning when running the pre upgrade checker (I am trying to upgrade from R77.20 to R80.10 and have downloaded the R80.10 Upgrade tools)

Warnings: It is recommended to resolve the following problems.
    ================================================== ============

Title: INSPECT manual changes
    -----
    * Description: Some changes in Security Gateway behaviour require manual changes
    in INSPECT files. These files are overwritten with new versions when you upgrade
    . Sometimes, you must apply the changes again on the new INSPECT files. In other
    cases, there are new GUI options to set.
    * Impacts: If changes are lost after the upgrade, the Security Gateway might not
    work as expected.
    * To Do: Check if changes are needed in the new version, if so, merge them manually to the relevant file.

This problem will occur in the following files:

R80 Gateways (c:\windows\fw1\r77\fw1\\lib)
    "implied_rules.def"

Thanks
    My guess is ldap across Vpn was enabled but to find out for sure do a install in a VM and compare the fresh install with your to see the difference.

Default Re: pre upgrade check - INSPECT manual changes

have you ever modified implied_rules.def manually?
    these modifications do not survive upgrades. it is a warning, not an error, you can continue upgrading, but that data will be lost unless you back it up somewhere and re-edit the file post-upgrade.

I would appreciate if you could tell me what changes have you made there comparing to the defaults - so that we will add those as Management settings in the future and they will be stable and survive upgrades.