CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.


Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

 

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Hi everyone,

    I had some boot up problems with a checkpoint r80.10 on a ESXi Server 6.5.

    Now I want to tell you my problem and how I fixed it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pci_mmcfg_init.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1365

    I made several installations on my ESXi Server (v6.5) (with ISO file, and with OVF Templates).
    I found out, that if I install the vm container in compatibility mode 6.x (vm-version greater than 10) I have this problem as shown in the picture.

    ##################################
    pci_mmcfg_init marking 256MB space uncacheable
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through

    ##################################

    This problem is a known Red Hat bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=581933) but is not solved on checkpoint I think.

    If I install or configure the vm container in compatibility mode 5.x (vm-version 10 and lower) I have no problem, and the checkpoint boots up and works perfectly.
    For everyone who runs a checkpoint on a ESXi Server 6.x donīt change the compatibility mode of the vm container to 6.x. because this will bring up this problem at bootup of the system.

    If the checkpoint boots up with this failure, you have no possibility to boot up in a maintenance mode (the boot up timer is not shown), and the boot up procedure lasts longer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom2201 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I had some boot up problems with a checkpoint r80.10 on a ESXi Server 6.5.

    Now I want to tell you my problem and how I fixed it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pci_mmcfg_init.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1365

    I made several installations on my ESXi Server (v6.5) (with ISO file, and with OVF Templates).
    I found out, that if I install the vm container in compatibility mode 6.x (vm-version greater than 10) I have this problem as shown in the picture.

    ##################################
    pci_mmcfg_init marking 256MB space uncacheable
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through

    ##################################

    This problem is a known Red Hat bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=581933) but is not solved on checkpoint I think.

    If I install or configure the vm container in compatibility mode 5.x (vm-version 10 and lower) I have no problem, and the checkpoint boots up and works perfectly.
    For everyone who runs a checkpoint on a ESXi Server 6.x donīt change the compatibility mode of the vm container to 6.x. because this will bring up this problem at bootup of the system.

    If the checkpoint boots up with this failure, you have no possibility to boot up in a maintenance mode (the boot up timer is not shown), and the boot up procedure lasts longer.
    Did you try setting acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on in your menu.1st file?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Did you try setting acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on in your menu.1st file?
    Where can I find this file?

    No I didnīt try this. But I didnīt want to change this "deep" settings. In my opinion if checkpoint says that they support ESXi 6.5 then it has to run without changing this type of setting.

    Checkpoint said: "We will review this information and consider documentation into SK. "

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom2201 View Post
    Where can I find this file?

    No I didnīt try this. But I didnīt want to change this "deep" settings. In my opinion if checkpoint says that they support ESXi 6.5 then it has to run without changing this type of setting.

    Checkpoint said: "We will review this information and consider documentation into SK. "
    Something like /boot/grub/menu.1st

    The red hat bug you posted says it needs to be enabled (which doesn’t seem to be default for red hat). What I don’t know is if the code to support it is there or not.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Something like /boot/grub/menu.1st

    The red hat bug you posted says it needs to be enabled (which doesn’t seem to be default for red hat). What I don’t know is if the code to support it is there or not.

    I added the line (acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on) you suggested in the /boot/grub/menu.1st file. But no changes at bootup.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2006-04-27
    Location
    Twillight zone
    Posts
    1,006
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    I have that issue as well, but as the only, afaik, downside is a tad slower boot up sequence I never bothered trying to fix it.
    Thanks for the tip!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    I have that issue as well, but as the only, afaik, downside is a tad slower boot up sequence I never bothered trying to fix it.
    Thanks for the tip!
    I’m not sure it only effects boot up. None cachable ram is bad. The big posted made it sound like just about any data structure could end up in that range and have a performance impact.

    Of course real nerds use kvm now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom2201 View Post
    I added the line (acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on) you suggested in the /boot/grub/menu.1st file. But no changes at bootup.
    Can you show where you did so? Just making sure you put it in the right spot. Should be on the kernel line.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2006-04-27
    Location
    Twillight zone
    Posts
    1,006
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    i am not able to reach my esx at the moment, but is it possible to "downgrade" compatibility mode/version of the VM (6>5) on the fly without need of re-installing?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    i am not able to reach my esx at the moment, but is it possible to "downgrade" compatibility mode/version of the VM (6>5) on the fly without need of re-installing?

    I tried several things on my ESXi 6.5 but I couldnīt find something to downgrade the VM.

    Now I made a snapshot of the "problem VM" and import it to a new R80.10 VM container without upgrading the VM to ESXi 6.x.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Can you show where you did so? Just making sure you put it in the right spot. Should be on the kernel line.
    I donīt understand the question. I opened the file /boot/grub/menu.1st and added this line acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on.

    p.s. the file was empty as I opened it.

    But by the way, I donīt think it could be the right way to change Kernel parameters...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom2201 View Post
    I donīt understand the question. I opened the file /boot/grub/menu.1st and added this line acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on.

    p.s. the file was empty as I opened it.

    But by the way, I donīt think it could be the right way to change Kernel parameters...
    That file should not be empty. This is from a r80 open server mgmt server for the normal section of the boot loader.

    Code:
    title Start in normal mode
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz ro  vmalloc=256M noht root=/dev/vg_splat/lv_current panic=15 console=SERIAL crashkernel=64M@16M 3 quiet
            initrd /initrd
    in your case it would be

    Code:
    title Start in normal mode
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz ro  vmalloc=256M noht root=/dev/vg_splat/lv_current panic=15 console=SERIAL crashkernel=64M@16M 3 quiet acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on
            initrd /initrd

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2007-03-30
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    i am not able to reach my esx at the moment, but is it possible to "downgrade" compatibility mode/version of the VM (6>5) on the fly without need of re-installing?
    Yes, but the VM needs to be powered off for the change. You're just changing the VM hardware version. I don't know if VMware's Flash UI provides an interface to do this, but it's easy enough with other tools. It's just changing a number in the vmx file describing the VM.
    Zimmie

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2006-04-27
    Location
    Twillight zone
    Posts
    1,006
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    Yes, but the VM needs to be powered off for the change. You're just changing the VM hardware version. I don't know if VMware's Flash UI provides an interface to do this, but it's easy enough with other tools. It's just changing a number in the vmx file describing the VM.
    Thanks Zimmie,

    Correct, I wasn't able to find it in webui!
    I've changed it now in VMX file
    virtualHW.version = "10"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    Thanks Zimmie,

    Correct, I wasn't able to find it in webui!
    I've changed it now in VMX file
    virtualHW.version = "10"
    Hi, this worked? If yes it is a great „easy“ solution.



    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Join Date
    2006-04-27
    Location
    Twillight zone
    Posts
    1,006
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom2201 View Post
    Hi, this worked? If yes it is a great „easy“ solution.



    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Yes sir!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    2007-03-30
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    That file should not be empty. This is from a r80 open server mgmt server for the normal section of the boot loader.

    Code:
    title Start in normal mode
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz ro  vmalloc=256M noht root=/dev/vg_splat/lv_current panic=15 console=SERIAL crashkernel=64M@16M 3 quiet
            initrd /initrd
    in your case it would be

    Code:
    title Start in normal mode
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz ro  vmalloc=256M noht root=/dev/vg_splat/lv_current panic=15 console=SERIAL crashkernel=64M@16M 3 quiet acpi_mcfg_max_pci_bus_num=on
            initrd /initrd
    I think I spotted the disconnect. The file is /boot/grub/menu.lst (Lima Sierra Tango), while Dom opened /boot/grub/menu.1st (One Sierra Tango).

    I don't think the "assuming drive cache: write through" is the actual problem. I removed the 'quiet' boot option from a VM and rebooted. It seemed to wait a while probing 30 ATA channels. Needs more research.
    Zimmie

  18. #18
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Hi Zimmerman,

    thank you for the hint, can you explain me how to disable the "quiet boot option".

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    . I removed the 'quiet' boot option from a VM and rebooted.


    Thanks

  19. #19
    Join Date
    2007-03-30
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    From /boot/grub/menu.lst on an R77.30 system:
    Code:
    title Start in 64bit normal mode
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-x86_64 ro  root=/dev/vg_splat/lv_current vmalloc=256M noht panic=15 console=SERIAL crashkernel=128M@16M 3 quiet
    	initrd /initrd-x86_64
    On the line starting with "kernel", you just remove the word "quiet" from the end. Keep in mind, this doesn't actually fix any problem. It just gets the system to print boot messages to the console.
    Zimmie

  20. #20
    Join Date
    2016-04-06
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 80.10 problems on ESXi 6.5

    Hi Zimmie,

    do I have to reload the GRUB, because I have tried this on a 80.10 and I donīt see the boot messages.

    If I have to reload the GRUB, do you know the commands I need to use?

    (I have a learning environment on VMs to do some experiments )


    Greetz Dom

Similar Threads

  1. so long esxi!
    By jflemingeds in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2016-10-04, 16:30
  2. R71 Gateway in Esxi 4.1 supported?
    By mitch111 in forum Installing And Upgrading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011-06-18, 01:49
  3. SPLAT R75 on VmWare ESXi 3.5 ?
    By sysko in forum VMware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011-06-07, 01:21
  4. Connectra R66.1 on ESXi 4.0.0
    By OScar in forum Mobile Access Blade (Formerly Connectra)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2010-08-17, 11:44
  5. Checkpoint R60 SPLAT -> ESXi
    By giuffrolo in forum Interoperability
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-04-16, 04:41

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •