CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Network monitoring on Checkpoint ext interface

Default Network monitoring on Checkpoint ext interface

Hello,

My Checkpoint 4400 is my external firewall. I have upstream proxys from the dmz that go through this firewall to the internet. Some users are complaining that internet is slow on my corporate LAN but i can see the CPU and resources on the checkpoint is ok at less than 50%

What network monitoring software could i use to see what traffic is being used going via the Checkpoint firewall. Bear in mind i dont have access to the proxy servers. I need to get my own network monitoring software for the external firewall

any ideas?

Default Re: Network monitoring on Checkpoint ext interface

Quote Originally Posted by oharek View Post
    Hello,

My Checkpoint 4400 is my external firewall. I have upstream proxys from the dmz that go through this firewall to the internet. Some users are complaining that internet is slow on my corporate LAN but i can see the CPU and resources on the checkpoint is ok at less than 50%

What network monitoring software could i use to see what traffic is being used going via the Checkpoint firewall. Bear in mind i dont have access to the proxy servers. I need to get my own network monitoring software for the external firewall

any ideas?
    Keep in mind processor consumption can be measured across all cores, or across a single core. 50% across all cores could be (and often is) 100% of one core. Same for 25% across all cores on a four-core box. When monitoring with 'top', hit the '1' key to show processor consumption per core.

For actual traffic monitoring, I would use one of two tools: fw monitor, or tcpdump.

tcpdump is a bit closer to the wire. It also shows MAC addresses, while fw monitor does not. This is my preferred tool for measuring latency on one side of a firewall. You can run many tcpdump captures at once by either backgrounding them or by running them in separate SSH sessions.

fw monitor, on the other hand, is great for measuring the latency caused by the firewall itself. It shows how long a packet takes to transit the software components inside the firewall with very good precision. It is also good for showing how the firewall changes a packet as it travels. You can see NAT decisions, routing, VPN, and so on. The biggest disadvantages are it doesn't record MAC addresses (you get interface name and network kernel position instead), and you can only run one at a time.
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    Keep in mind processor consumption can be measured across all cores, or across a single core. 50% across all cores could be (and often is) 100% of one core. Same for 25% across all cores on a four-core box. When monitoring with 'top', hit the '1' key to show processor consumption per core.

For actual traffic monitoring, I would use one of two tools: fw monitor, or tcpdump.

tcpdump is a bit closer to the wire. It also shows MAC addresses, while fw monitor does not. This is my preferred tool for measuring latency on one side of a firewall. You can run many tcpdump captures at once by either backgrounding them or by running them in separate SSH sessions.

fw monitor, on the other hand, is great for measuring the latency caused by the firewall itself. It shows how long a packet takes to transit the software components inside the firewall with very good precision. It is also good for showing how the firewall changes a packet as it travels. You can see NAT decisions, routing, VPN, and so on. The biggest disadvantages are it doesn't record MAC addresses (you get interface name and network kernel position instead), and you can only run one at a time.
    Thanks for the advice. I will try both tcpdump and fw monitor - plus check the cores and cpu stats

I think cp should come with ntop which is an excellent in such scenarios or even cpview would be useful to measure the performance.

You can also use netflow for network monitor.
    Check Point CCSA/CCSE/CCSE+
    Cisco CCNP/CCSP

Hi there.... have you checked you Internet access speed with your ISP? Is the Internet access still slow during non-peak hours? What about testing a direct connection through the firewall (not using prox)

Quote Originally Posted by blason View Post
    I think cp should come with ntop which is an excellent in such scenarios or even cpview would be useful to measure the performance.
    Nothing stopping you from compiling and running ntop yourself.