CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: fw samp in Bridge mode not working

Default fw samp in Bridge mode not working

Hi Guys,

If someone please confirm fw samp rules can be enforced in Bridge mode? I mean for testing purpose I setup bridge mode and blocking certain IPs.

Default Re: fw samp in Bridge mode not working

Quote Originally Posted by blason View Post
    Hi Guys,

If someone please confirm fw samp rules can be enforced in Bridge mode? I mean for testing purpose I setup bridge mode and blocking certain IPs.
    Hi blason

Logically this should work, as even though this is treated as Layer 2 the frames going through the bridge still contain the IP header and thus SAMP could be used to block specific sources.
    Having said that I will consult our SMEs about it and provide a formal answer and add the information to our documentation.

HTH,
    Uri

Quote Originally Posted by urilewi View Post
    Hi blason

Logically this should work, as even though this is treated as Layer 2 the frames going through the bridge still contain the IP header and thus SAMP could be used to block specific sources.
    Having said that I will consult our SMEs about it and provide a formal answer and add the information to our documentation.

HTH,
    Uri
    You seems to be CP staff, are you? Well I tried that setup but dang its not blocking. And do we need provide IP address to Bridge mode? I mean wondering if I pull interfaces in CP dashboard where policies will be enforced.

You seems to be CP staff, are you? Well I tried that setup but dang its not blocking. And do we need provide IP address to Bridge mode? I mean wondering if I pull interfaces in CP dashboard where policies will be enforced.
    Yes, I'm CP staff

Can you please post the SAMP command you used.
    As I mentioned before it should work as I would expect it to be the same as rulebase enforcement on a GW configured in bridge mode.

Still validating.

-Uri

Hi There,

Here is the command I used to block hosts using fw samp. I am using script to block those addresses.

fw samp add -a d -l r -t $timeout -c $comment quota service any source range:$line pkt-rate 0

here is the output

operation=add uid=<5a69edb3,0000129c,040510ac,0000223f> target=all timeout=3443 action=drop log=log comment=CPDBL_isnbotbl_block service=any source=range:158.140.183.3 pkt-rate=0 req_type=quota

operation=add uid=<5a69edb3,0000129d,040510ac,0000223f> target=all timeout=3443 action=drop log=log comment=CPDBL_isnbotbl_block service=any source=range:158.140.184.126 pkt-rate=0 req_type=quota

Hi urilewi,

Have you had any luck with my query?

Hi urilewi,

Have you had any luck with my query?
    Should have an answer for you later today

Hi blason

Took a little longer then I expected
    This definitely works

The quota rules are not immediately applied to the Security Gateway. They are only registered in the Suspicious Activity Monitoring (SAM) policy database
    To apply all the rules from the policy database immediately, in the fw samp add command syntax, add flush true.

HTH
    Uri

Ahh that could be the thing since I didnt add those.

Thanks for the revert let me definitely try that and come back to you if I stuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by urilewi View Post
    Hi blason

Took a little longer then I expected
    This definitely works

The quota rules are not immediately applied to the Security Gateway. They are only registered in the Suspicious Activity Monitoring (SAM) policy database
    To apply all the rules from the policy database immediately, in the fw samp add command syntax, add flush true.

HTH
    Uri
    BTW is there any limit for fw samp entries/rules? can it handle 60-70k entries at a moment?

I'm not sure what you mean by entries
    For rules, I would think that since these rules are eventually rule-based adding 60k/70k rules would be really ineffective, I don't know the number of rules this feature was tested for and I can't imagine such a number ever came up.

Can you share a scenario in which you would have to use fw samp like that (70K rules)?

Thanks,
    Uri
    Last edited by urilewi; 2018-02-07 at 17:27.

Well if you see if we enable Malicious entries in IPS protection which has a performance impact; that feature can hardly be enabled. Instead I did come up with a idea where we put honeypot on internet and whoever is touching that box automatically that ip address will be added in fw samp rule. Thus I am protecting from Reconn attacks that way my fw samp rules can easily go high upto 40-50k at a time hence wondering what toll it would cause on system?

I see what you're saying however, SAMP is not intended for this purpose, it is only for immediate response it would be really ineffective to mange dozens of thousands of rules like this, and it will also be inefficient.
    Furthermore - if you are being attacked simultaneously by 70K different sources the problem is a different one.

Thanks,
    Uri

I will agree with Uri here, fw samp is meant for "immediate" responses to issues without pushing policy.
    If you want to block IPs permanently, it's best to move them into the regular firewall policy at some point.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own