CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: "Max Power" Book Second Edition Released!

Default "Max Power" Book Second Edition Released!

The second edition of my book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization" has been released. Fully updated for R80.10, this edition includes several new chapters along with a new foreword by Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy (PhoneBoy). A free preview of the book's Table of Contents has been posted at maxpowerfirewalls.com, along with links to the various hardcopy/PDF purchase options. If you previously purchased a PDF of the first edition of the book, or work for Check Point, be sure to check your email before ordering. Enjoy!

Also I will be attending both CPX Barcelona (Jan 23-25) and CPX Las Vegas (Feb 6-8) this year, and would be happy to personalize and sign hardcopy editions of the new book at CPX. I won't have hardcopies for sale with me at CPX itself because the book is print-on-demand through Amazon. Thanks!
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Default Re: "Max Power" Book Second Edition Released!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    The second edition of my book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization" has been released. Fully updated for R80.10, this edition includes several new chapters along with a new foreword by Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy (PhoneBoy). A free preview of the book's Table of Contents has been posted at maxpowerfirewalls.com, along with links to the various hardcopy/PDF purchase options. If you previously purchased a PDF of the first edition of the book, or work for Check Point, be sure to check your email before ordering. Enjoy!

Also I will be attending both CPX Barcelona (Jan 23-25) and CPX Las Vegas (Feb 6-8) this year, and would be happy to personalize and sign hardcopy editions of the new book at CPX. I won't have hardcopies for sale with me at CPX itself because the book is print-on-demand through Amazon. Thanks!
    Any chance of an ePub or MobiPocket version? The typesetting options in them are limited, but a lot of dedicated reading devices (Kindles, Kobos, &c.) handle them better than PDFs.
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    Any chance of an ePub or MobiPocket version? The typesetting options in them are limited, but a lot of dedicated reading devices (Kindles, Kobos, &c.) handle them better than PDFs.
    The book was created via the publisher CreateSpace which is a division of Amazon, so the only format directly allowed for handheld readers is for Kindles (as you might suspect). Unfortunately the large number of screenshots/figures in the book (180) makes the price for converting it into that format very expensive, as the number of figures/diagrams drives the conversion cost. Converting for dedicated readers works great on books that are text-heavy with the occasional drawing/figure, but my book is definitely not like that and I'm pretty sure the figures would be unreadable anyway on a handheld device.

Of course if I was inundated with requests for the book to be in that format I'd reconsider. I published the book in PDF as I could see someone having the book up on one monitor, and working with the SmartConsole/CLI on the other monitor looking at things. Doubtful someone is reading my book on a plane or at the beach on a dedicated reading device, as just by reading the book you'd get naturally curious about what your own firewalls are doing and want to run the provided commands immediately.
    --

Congrats on such big achievement.

I would like to know if this book covers VSX too

Quote Originally Posted by ravindra692 View Post
    Congrats on such big achievement.

I would like to know if this book covers VSX too
    VSX is not covered. However there is some great free VSX optimization info here:

https://dreezman.wordpress.com/2015/...ove-the-price/
    --

Itís probably worth noting VSX can benefit from all the normal tuning covered in the book, and there is very little VSX-specific tuning which can be done. There is nothing virtual about VSX. Itís just multiple routing tables on a single OS. Cisco calls them VRFs, OpenBSD calls them rdomains.

The only real VSX-specific tuning you can do relates to per-VS processes (setting affinity to keep traffic within a NUMA node, for example), and potentially the bridging driver (used for switch contexts).
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    VSX is not covered. However there is some great free VSX optimization info here:

https://dreezman.wordpress.com/2015/...ove-the-price/
    Thank You