CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Check Point "e-kits"

Default Check Point "e-kits"

From what I gather, Check Point has moved all of their training materials to "e-kits" delivered through Capsule Docs. They prohibit printing and screenshots, the viewer only directly works on Windows, and it sounds like there is no way to get printed material or get the electronic version onto a proper reading device like a Kindle or Kobo.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Check Point is no longer serious about providing training on their own products.

Why is this?

A big part of the reason Cisco gear is so incredibly widely-used is the availability of first-party training and materials. Their books are dirt cheap (Under $20 an inch for textbooks! My math textbooks were around $150-$200 an inch.). There are classes in just about every community/junior college, and even in a lot of high schools. The result is a huge number of fresh graduates who know Cisco. Easy availability of workers makes the products enormously more attractive to companies.

This decision feels like a short-term money grab (killing off the training material resale market) which will have serious negative consequences long-term.
    Zimmie

Default Re: Check Point "e-kits"

I am fairly new with CP (about 4 years), but I don't think it's the first time they take some controversial decisions (remember licensing?).

But for me, it's what it is. A weird vendor with good and bad stuff.

I'm not sure what the holdup is on the updated Mac version of Capsule Docs, but I do know that, at least with the private beta I'm using, the courseware is readable.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    From what I gather, Check Point has moved all of their training materials to "e-kits" delivered through Capsule Docs. They prohibit printing and screenshots, the viewer only directly works on Windows, and it sounds like there is no way to get printed material or get the electronic version onto a proper reading device like a Kindle or Kobo.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Check Point is no longer serious about providing training on their own products.

Why is this?

A big part of the reason Cisco gear is so incredibly widely-used is the availability of first-party training and materials. Their books are dirt cheap (Under $20 an inch for textbooks! My math textbooks were around $150-$200 an inch.). There are classes in just about every community/junior college, and even in a lot of high schools. The result is a huge number of fresh graduates who know Cisco. Easy availability of workers makes the products enormously more attractive to companies.

This decision feels like a short-term money grab (killing off the training material resale market) which will have serious negative consequences long-term.
    I completely agree with you on this.

I will also go further in saying that Checkpoint support has been pretty down the toilet as well. In my environment, I have Palo Alto, Cisco ASA/Firepower and Checkpoint.

1- Checkpoint footprint has been getting smaller and smaller
    2- Palo Alto footprint has been expanding replacing Checkpoint for on-prem. In the cloud, we don't even consider Checkpoint
    3- Cisco FirePower footprint has been expanding especially with our audio/video application
    4- Cisco account rep and SE visit us every month and really help out with technical support
    5- Palo Alto account rep and SE visit us every month and really help out with technical support
    6- haven't heard from Checkpoint rep and SE in months :-( and we pay about 300k/year in support.

Now that I have been using Cisco FireSight Management Center (FMC) to manage Cisco ASA and Firepower devices, I have to say that I am very impressed with the product. It is on par with Checkpoint Provider-1 and SmartCenter. Cisco FMC is very easy to setup and use. All the issues that Cisco used to have with NAT group object, are completely gone. Setup VPN using the FMC is a piece of cake. The good thing about Cisco FirePower, unlike stupid checkpoint, is that you do NOT have muck around with the gateways, like sim affinity, fwkern.conf. Everything is controlled from the FMC and push down to the FirePower gateways. It is so simple to setup and use that I don't think I will want to go back to checkpoint again.

enough of me ranting this morning. Time to go back to work !!!!

Hi Bob,

I hope I find you well. My name is Shay Solomon, Director for Education services at Check Point.
    Your feedback is highly appropriated and constructive for us.

I would like to address the items brought up by you:
    - Printing eKits - We will enable printing of all our Courseware eKits by end of Dec. Watermark with the user email will be added to all pages. That has been under development.

- Check Point in the academy - During 2017 we have launched a new program called SecureAcademy where we collaborate with Academy partners from all regions.
    All the materiel is Free of charge. https://www.checkpoint.com/support-s...secureacademy/

- Check Point has recently launched a new Training and certification portal - They portal cover all Check Point product training in all locations - https://store.checkpoint.com/training-certification/#/ (I will appropriate your feedback)

- eKit is supported on Mac O/S.

I will be happy to hold a thorough discussion with you about Check Point training.
    Best Regards,

Shay Solomon | Director, Cyber Security Education Services BU
    +972-52-3769206 (Mobile/Whatsapp)
    TLV, Israel | Irving,TX
    https://www.checkpoint.com/

Hi Shay

Quote Originally Posted by shaysolmon View Post
    I would like to address the items brought up by you:
    - Printing eKits - We will enable printing of all our Courseware eKits by end of Dec. Watermark with the user email will be added to all pages. That has been under development.
    I got my e-kit a few days ago and could print (without watermarking?), now I cannot print anymore:(

- eKit is supported on Mac O/S.
    Talked to a colleague who will attend a training with me tomorrow. He is unable to install the "alpha" client at all on his Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    Now that I have been using Cisco FireSight Management Center (FMC) to manage Cisco ASA and Firepower devices, I have to say that I am very impressed with the product. It is on par with Checkpoint Provider-1 and SmartCenter.
    Offtopic: What good does it do when their gateways are a total mess in relation to versions, features, licensing, hardware and lifecylce. These are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Hi Shay

I got my e-kit a few days ago and could print (without watermarking?), now I cannot print anymore:(
    Talked to a colleague who will attend a training with me tomorrow. He is unable to install the "alpha" client at all on his Mac.
    Please send me the information to shay_sol@checkpoint.com and we will look into that ASAP.

BR
    Shay

Quote Originally Posted by shaysolmon View Post
    Please send me the information to shay_sol@checkpoint.com and we will look into that ASAP.

BR
    Shay
    I will point my colleague to your post. I just saw the OS release 10.13.1 (whatever this means) and he told me the installation aborts of the alpha client midway.

I will point my colleague to your post. I just saw the OS release 10.13.1 (whatever this means) and he told me the installation aborts of the alpha client midway.
    Thanks.

We will look into that scenario.
    You are welcome to send me any additional info.
    shay_sol@checkpoint.com

BR,
    Shay

Update: In 2 weeks we will post an update with a fix for that issue (Mac Installation)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    I do know that, at least with the private beta I'm using, the courseware is readable.
    Dameon, seriously? You gave me the same answer 5 month back. Unless this "private beta" becomes a tested GA release, this info does not help.

When I mentioned 5 years ago in a blog post, there is probably 1.5 person dealing with Mac development at Check Point. Leonid Belkind was really upset of me saying so that time. Now he left and there is probably 0.5 developer that cannot be even upset anymore.

Mac CP products are a sick joke.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    Dameon, seriously? You gave me the same answer 5 month back.
    I did and Shay Solomon just gave an update on the timing of the planned release.

I did and Shay Solomon just gave an update on the timing of the planned release.
    Looking forward to see the tool out. I hope thatís not two weeks for alpha fix :)
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Looking forward to see the tool out. I hope thatís not two weeks for alpha fix :)
    Now available as part of the E80.71 clients for Mac release: https://supportcenter.us.checkpoint....ionid=sk121595

Now available as part of the E80.71 clients for Mac release: https://supportcenter.us.checkpoint....ionid=sk121595
    Editor? Not a viewer?
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Editor? Not a viewer?
    It does both