CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it yet again - That's right, the 3rd edition is here!
You can read his announcement post here.
It's a massive upgrade focusing on current versions, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: What are correct steps to roll back from R77.30 to R76?

Default What are correct steps to roll back from R77.30 to R76?

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade of Management server and a gateway from R76 to R77.30. I was wondering if I had to roll back R77.30 to R76 what is the correct steps?

Thanks

Default Re: What are correct steps to roll back from R77.30 to R76?

Hi,

Anyone know correct steps to roll back without doing fresh install?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juniorra22 View Post
    Hi,

Anyone know correct steps to roll back without doing fresh install?

Thanks
    You could take a backup, then restore to that if things go wrong. I wouldn't trust that, though. Check Point's backup and snapshot tools sometimes fail in weird and non-obvious ways. It's better to take a 'migrate export' and clish dump from the SmartCenter, then rebuild it from scratch if things go wrong.

The important thing is to test your recovery path. Just build a VM in VirtualBox or something and import your SmartCenter's config to it. Take your backup or whatever, try the upgrade in the VM, then try to revert to your backup. Should take maybe two hours total, including building the VM.

On the firewall side, dump the config from clish. If you use dynamic routing, check the web UI for any route redistribution or anything else you don't see in the clish config. With that information, rebuilding a firewall from scratch should only take 20 minutes (probably less). You can test the snapshot and backup options in a VM, too.
    Zimmie

Snapshot mechanism provides the best rollback option, but it takes time, obviously.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    Snapshot mechanism provides the best rollback option, but it takes time, obviously.
    I'm not a fan of snapshots in large part because the UI is awful.

"Are you sure you want to take a snapshot?"
    Yes.
    "Okay! Stopping services!"
    Wait, what?!

As long as you know they are disruptive, I suppose they're passable.

Edited to add: And of course, be sure to test it on non-production systems (like a VM) before depending on it in production! That way, you'll know about issues like snapshot stopping services without warning you it will do so.
    Last edited by Bob_Zimmerman; 2017-11-06 at 12:09.
    Zimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Zimmerman View Post
    I'm not a fan of snapshots in large part because the UI is awful.

"Are you sure you want to take a snapshot?"
    Yes.
    "Okay! Stopping services!"
    Wait, what?!

As long as you know they are disruptive, I suppose they're passable.

Edited to add: And of course, be sure to test it on non-production systems (like a VM) before depending on it in production! That way, you'll know about issues like snapshot stopping services without warning you it will do so.
    Not sure what you're referring to. Here is a snapshot of R77.30 JHFA 286. didn't see any service being stopped

Power-1-P> add snapshot ttt
    Taking snapshot. You can continue working normally.
    You can use the command 'show snapshots' to monitor creation progress.
    Power-1-P>

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to. Here is a snapshot of R77.30 JHFA 286. didn't see any service being stopped

Power-1-P> add snapshot ttt
    Taking snapshot. You can continue working normally.
    You can use the command 'show snapshots' to monitor creation progress.
    Power-1-P>
    Huh! I guess I havenít tried it recently enough. I will have to test it again.
    Zimmie

Gaia does not require stopping services on GWs to make snapshots. Although, it is called "image management" now :-)
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

LOL.... this has been available since R75 in 2012. You're about 5 years late

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    LOL.... this has been available since R75 in 2012. You're about 5 years late
    Most of my major firewalls are still R67 because there is no feature-complete successor product. Still rearchitecting my network so it no longer depends on the missing features. I donít trust snapshots on my SmartCenters. Ďmigrate exportí and rebuilding is a clean recovery mechanism which takes roughly the same amount of time and works in a much wider range of situations than anything purely-local can.
    Zimmie

Most of my major firewalls are still R67 because there is no feature-complete successor product.
    Realizing that I'm probably opening a can of worms by broaching this question, what features are you using in R67 that are NOT in current versions?
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    Realizing that I'm probably opening a can of worms by broaching this question, what features are you using in R67 that are NOT in current versions?
    This is all getting waaaay off topic. It's multi-instance OSPF I inherited, and I'll send details via DM.

It sounds like snapshots are a viable method of reverting an update in GAiA as long as the box still boots. I think a 'migrate export' from the SmartCenter copied off of it would be a good idea in case things go badly wrong, but it is not likely to be used.

Test your backup and recovery method. If you don't test it, you don't have a real backup. It should only take a few hours to try it out, and it can save you an enormous amount of worry and pain later.
    Zimmie

Thanks for the replies. Can someone please let me know if this is a correct statement then?

Take snapshot of R76, upgrade to R77.30 and then if you want to revert back just restore snapshot on R77.30 and it will downgrade OS and system to R76

Thanks

Most of my major firewalls are still R67 because there is no feature-complete successor product. Still rearchitecting my network so it no longer depends on the missing features. I donít trust snapshots on my SmartCenters. Ďmigrate exportí and rebuilding is a clean recovery mechanism which takes roughly the same amount of time and works in a much wider range of situations than anything purely-local can.
    Oh gosh... Running an outdated unsupported version and justifying it. Are you in health industry by any chance?
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Oh gosh... Running an outdated unsupported version and justifying it. Are you in health industry by any chance?
    Finance, actually. Where regulatory compliance and security are totally different (and often contradictory) goals. I'm certainly not trying to justify it. I am not able to upgrade yet because it would break the environment. That is a terrible situation entirely of my team's making. For some insane reason, previous admins used routing as a form of access control. If client A can't route to server B, we don't need to be careful with firewall rules! Inevitably, client A wanted to route to server C on the same network block as B, breaking the access control.

Said previous admins left once they had made everything a tangled, barely-manageable mess.
    Zimmie

Finance, actually. Where regulatory compliance and security are totally different (and often contradictory) goals. I'm certainly not trying to justify it. I am not able to upgrade yet because it would break the environment. That is a terrible situation entirely of my team's making. For some insane reason, previous admins used routing as a form of access control. If client A can't route to server B, we don't need to be careful with firewall rules! Inevitably, client A wanted to route to server C on the same network block as B, breaking the access control.

Said previous admins left once they had made everything a tangled, barely-manageable mess.
    Jees, that sounds scary...
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Jees, that sounds scary...
    And you know how it goes. Cleanup is always a lower priority than new-shiny right up until the environment collapses because the foundation had slowly turned into smoldering tire fires.

Bringing it back around, that is part of why I push so hard for testing, particularly when it only takes a relatively small time to do so. Anything you don't test has the potential to turn into an enormous problem later on. By the time you notice it's broken, you may be in a situation which will take weeks or months of work to fix.

Backups and restorations can fail in very subtle ways. To use an example from another thread, I had to RMA a box a while ago. Turns out the clish config doesn't contain everything you can set up through the web UI (in my case, route redistribution). The cluster shows everything is fine, but things work on one member, then they fail spectacularly and mysteriously on the other.
    Zimmie