CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: DELL R630 Gaia R77.30 Fresh Install crash viewing Machine Info

Default DELL R630 Gaia R77.30 Fresh Install crash viewing Machine Info

We have purchased two DELL R630 Servers, starting with a fresh Gaia R77.30 install using a ISOmorphic built USB.
    I get the following when I choose to view Machine Info...

Traceback (most recent call first):
    File "/usr/lib/anaconda/textw/devices_text.py", line 41, in displayDetails
    (self.devices.deviceClassNames[last_class] +
    File "/usr/lib/anaconda/textw/devices_text.py", line 443, in__call__
    rc = self.displayDetails()
    File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 581, in run
    rc = win(self.screen, instance)
    File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1000, in ?
    anaconda.intf.run(anaconda)
    KeyError: 4194304

I found sk104011, which matches this exact Traceback message on failure to read server hardware.
    But the solution (custom patched Gaia install - I believe) is only listed as relevant for R77.20.

I have opened a Service Request, but had no firm response, other than suggesting trying the various Open Server options from the boot menu - with / without ACPI, with / without VGA.
    But nothing has made any difference.
    They confirmed that the patched Gaia install was only for R77.20.

I have seen other discussions on these forums, with the same or similar issue, but no one has updated what end solution was reached.

I have not tried yet to just ignore this Machine Info failure and just push on ahead with the install (without checking Machine Info) - as I assume it will error later, with the hardware it can't access.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers,
    Steve

Default Re: DELL R630 Gaia R77.30 Fresh Install crash viewing Machine Info

Almost certainly has something to do with the mass storage controller, any kind of compatibility mode or other options for it in the BIOS/setup? Somewhat related:

I discovered while setting up my ATC classroom under VMWare Workstation 10 or later, that selecting "Machine Info" will crash the Gaia install as described in sk104011: Viewing Machine Info during installation process causes crash

There is a hotfix available, or you can select Other/Other for the VM type as a workaround. Selecting Other/Other forces the use of the older Buslogic/IDE for the mass storage driver and seems to avoid the issue when selecting Machine Info. Using Other/Other instead of the "correct" OS setting doesn't seem to impact VM performance or stability otherwise from what I have seen in my lab.

Edit: Also try going through all the server's BIOS settings and disable any hardware you don't need like sound cards, parallel ports, etc.
    Last edited by ShadowPeak.com; 2017-10-20 at 08:26. Reason: added BIOS tip
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    Almost certainly has something to do with the mass storage controller, any kind of compatibility mode or other options for it in the BIOS/setup? Somewhat related:

I discovered while setting up my ATC classroom under VMWare Workstation 10 or later, that selecting "Machine Info" will crash the Gaia install as described in sk104011: Viewing Machine Info during installation process causes crash

There is a hotfix available, or you can select Other/Other for the VM type as a workaround. Selecting Other/Other forces the use of the older Buslogic/IDE for the mass storage driver and seems to avoid the issue when selecting Machine Info. Using Other/Other instead of the "correct" OS setting doesn't seem to impact VM performance or stability otherwise from what I have seen in my lab.

Edit: Also try going through all the server's BIOS settings and disable any hardware you don't need like sound cards, parallel ports, etc.
    I am running GAIA R77.30 on Dell PowerEdge R730 without any issues. Dell R630 is a smaller version of R730, IIRC. What version of BIOS and firmware do you have on the R630? I have the following versions of BIOS and Firmware:

BIOS Version: 2.3.4
    Firmware Version: 2.40.40.40

Warning: do NOT attempts to change the default "BIOS" settings as suggested by ShadowPeak. Based on my experience with Dell and IBM Servers running Checkpoint, bad things will happen if you do

I wouldn't worry about this error. I've seen the same thing happen with a VM that has no problems. Shadowpeak is correct in that it could be something with parsing info about the storage controller but it could also be some bit of hardware that doesn't have a driver loaded or something like that.

This is the redhat bug report (cough cough *kind of old* cough cough)

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=216714

Just move on with the install.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    I wouldn't worry about this error. I've seen the same thing happen with a VM that has no problems. Shadowpeak is correct in that it could be something with parsing info about the storage controller but it could also be some bit of hardware that doesn't have a driver loaded or something like that.

This is the redhat bug report (cough cough *kind of old* cough cough)

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=216714

Just move on with the install.
    How can you move on with the install in hardware open servers? The installation will abort after that point

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    How can you move on with the install in hardware open servers? The installation will abort after that point
    Restart the install and don't do view machine info.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Restart the install and don't do view machine info.
    Proceeded with Install without viewing Machine Info... and it DID proceed ok!!!
    Thanks for the advice.

Now have Gaia and blades installed. and have completed First Time Wizard without problems.

I hope to have full cluster setup mid-next week to verify stability / operational state, before scheduling an outage window to deploy to Production.

Cheers,
    Steve

Happy to say that by simply NOT checking Machine Info and continuing the install, everything has built ok.
    Servers have now been in production for over a week, no hardware or platform issues experienced.

Thanks everyone,
    Steve