CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: VPN drops *sometimes* when policy is pushed

Default VPN drops *sometimes* when policy is pushed

Good day all. I have an 8 location network, all connected by private, any to any MPLS. 7 of these locations connect to each other only via VPN, same community. The location where the management server is located, does not use VPN to communicate to the other 7 sites. All gateways are R77.30 gaia.

I have noticed that at times, when policy is pushed to a location, either immediately, or within a few minutes, that location would become unreachable to our network polling machine (which is located at a location connected over VPN), for a few minutes (up to 10 minutes), and then self-heal. For a while, i would chalk this up the MPLS port going down into that location, but the last few times it happened, i connected to the management server, and was able to connect to the "down" location immediately. So, it seems like this is definitely related to VPN.

The next time this happens, what should i check on the gateway that is unreachable, that may shed some light on this issue?

thanks.

danny

Default Re: VPN drops *sometimes* when policy is pushed

Quote Originally Posted by DannyW View Post
    Good day all. I have an 8 location network, all connected by private, any to any MPLS. 7 of these locations connect to each other only via VPN, same community. The location where the management server is located, does not use VPN to communicate to the other 7 sites. All gateways are R77.30 gaia.

I have noticed that at times, when policy is pushed to a location, either immediately, or within a few minutes, that location would become unreachable to our network polling machine (which is located at a location connected over VPN), for a few minutes (up to 10 minutes), and then self-heal. For a while, i would chalk this up the MPLS port going down into that location, but the last few times it happened, i connected to the management server, and was able to connect to the "down" location immediately. So, it seems like this is definitely related to VPN.

The next time this happens, what should i check on the gateway that is unreachable, that may shed some light on this issue?

thanks.

danny
    My guess is that the default flush of all IKE Phase 1 SAs upon policy push is causing this situation. If a IPSEC Phase 2 tunnel happens to expire and the IKE Phase 1 tunnel is stuck or has not been re-established yet due to a recent policy push this behavior can occur.

Try checking the "keep IKE SAs" checkbox under Policy->Global Properties->SmartDashboard Customization->Configure->VPN Advanced Properties->VPN IKE properties. After setting this bear in mind however that if you make a settings change to the properties of the IKE Phase 1 tunnel in the VPN Community, you will need to manually clear the IKE Phase 1 SA with vpn tu to make those changes take effect, since the IKE Phase 1 tunnel will no longer be restarted upon a policy push.
    --
    My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
    now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.