CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: R77.30 First time Configuration wizard is stuck in VMware workstation

Default R77.30 First time Configuration wizard is stuck in VMware workstation

Hello
    I am new to checkpoint and trying to learn by getting hands on experience. I am trying to build a checkpoint lab in my laptop. I have downloaded the checkpoint R77.30 ISO from the checkpoint support center and created a new virtual machine. The VM has following specs:
    RAM: 2GB
    HD: 100 GB
    OS Version: Linux Kernel 2.6 x 64 bit
    Network Adapter: Virtual Network VMnet2(192.168.17.0/24)(host only)
    I installed the Gaia and chose the IP address 192.168.17.10, default gateway 192.168.17.254 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Once the installation is done, I rebooted the VM, created the login credentials and set the expert mode password.
    I was able to ping the VM from my Laptop command prompt. I login to the gaia portal using https://192.168.17.10, click next and then I go to management interface check the IP address and then I click next again to provide DNS details, but it is getting stuck at this point.

If anyone had the same problem and found a solution to get past this point, Your help would be much appreciated

Default Re: R77.30 First time Configuration wizard is stuck in VMware workstation

What browser are you using? I've definitely seen similar issues, and I seem to remember resolving with a different browser (usually Chrome).

-E

Default Re: R77.30 First time Configuration wizard is stuck in VMware workstation

Hi EricAnderson

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I have tried firefox, IE and chrome. I have the same problem on all these three browsers.

Thank you
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by ravindra692 View Post
    Hello
    I am new to checkpoint and trying to learn by getting hands on experience. I am trying to build a checkpoint lab in my laptop. I have downloaded the checkpoint R77.30 ISO from the checkpoint support center and created a new virtual machine. The VM has following specs:
    RAM: 2GB
    HD: 100 GB
    OS Version: Linux Kernel 2.6 x 64 bit
    If I had to guess, it's that you've allocated far too little RAM to the VM.
    4GB of RAM would be a more reasonable minimum (more would be better).
    For 4GB of RAM, you can also use 32bit OS (64bit gives zero benefit unless you have more than 4GB of RAM).
    For R80.10, you would need at least 8GB (again, more is better).
    http://phoneboy.com
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Hello

Thank you very much for you help. I increased the RAM to 4gb and I was able to finish the first time installation and establish the SIC with the gateway successfully.

Once again Thank you.

I recently found book called Max Power: Checkpoint Firewall Performance Optimization by Timothy C. Hall. I heard it's book, but i would like to know your opinion if this book can help a beginner to learn more about checkpoint.

Thank you
    Ravi

Thank you very much for you help. I increased the RAM to 4gb and I was able to finish the first time installation and establish the SIC with the gateway successfully.
    Glad to hear it! Don't underestimate the "hunger" of R80 management

I recently found book called Max Power: Checkpoint Firewall Performance Optimization by Timothy C. Hall. I heard it's book, but i would like to know your opinion if this book can help a beginner to learn more about checkpoint.
    Forget that book - it's trash (just kidding!)

Actually, Tim is known (rather well) around here as ShadowPeak. You'll find plenty of praise of the book here. It even has a nice forward by Phoneboy.

While some of it may be a bit over your head if you're a CP beginner, it will give you an insight into CP performance and function that you won't likely find elsewhere. Even the parts that don't make sense to you yet will be great reference down the road. I'd strongly recommend it. While you can get it on Amaon, it's best to grab it here: http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com/

-E