CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: CPUG for Linux

Default CPUG for Linux

Hi guys,

I am on my way of getting much better with Linux; I started some Linux training from CBT and got some small projects on my weekly tasks.
    Still I just realized a forum similar to CPUG but on Linux, would help me tremendously. Any hint?

I started on reading on https://askubuntu.com but I ll be honest, it's pretty BIG with a lot of unanswered questions.

Default Re: CPUG for Linux

There are really a lot of aspects to Linux. Kind of depends on what you want to learn. Linux itself is a kernel and if you want to learn the kernel spin up a vm, do the minimal install then see what you need to upgrade the kernel to the latest from www.kernel.org. Look up how grub works and what initrd and vmlinux are. Do you know how to tell what kernel build options where used to build a given kernel? Have you ever extended a filesystem before? Try that in a vm.

If you mean more of a OS then look at LVM.

What to learn about virtual machines look at KVM and virt-manager. This can easily replace esxi.

want to learn routing on linux? install quagga and read about network namespaces (netns). Can do bgp, ospf etc etc. Want to get super crazy? OpenBSD has EIGRP support.

Firewall on linux iptables.. err i mean checkpoint.

Get the basics with vi just because its everywhere.

You can always ask whatever you want here. Worst case no one will respond.

I seem to find good stuff via google searches that land me on serverfault a lot. Might be a good place to look at.

If your more into the server side look up Docker and Kubernetes (basically containers, which are like chroot jails, much less overhead then a full VM at the cost of security). These are the new cool things in linux land. I'm currently working on turning up openstack at the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    There are really a lot of aspects to Linux. Kind of depends on what you want to learn. Linux itself is a kernel and if you want to learn the kernel spin up a vm, do the minimal install then see what you need to upgrade the kernel to the latest from www.kernel.org. Look up how grub works and what initrd and vmlinux are. Do you know how to tell what kernel build options where used to build a given kernel? Have you ever extended a filesystem before? Try that in a vm.

If you mean more of a OS then look at LVM.

What to learn about virtual machines look at KVM and virt-manager. This can easily replace esxi.

want to learn routing on linux? install quagga and read about network namespaces (netns). Can do bgp, ospf etc etc. Want to get super crazy? OpenBSD has EIGRP support.

Firewall on linux iptables.. err i mean checkpoint.

Get the basics with vi just because its everywhere.

You can always ask whatever you want here. Worst case no one will respond.

I seem to find good stuff via google searches that land me on serverfault a lot. Might be a good place to look at.

If your more into the server side look up Docker and Kubernetes (basically containers, which are like chroot jails, much less overhead then a full VM at the cost of security). These are the new cool things in linux land. I'm currently working on turning up openstack at the house.
    Thanks mate! Since I am getting old already I met Linux before on some aspects you mentioned: iptables, Quagga, containers. It's just I never took it to the professional level. Now I want to take full responsabilities hence need to wrap up my knowledge and work it on. I ll note down serverfault space.

Well, containers is where i would spend time on (assuming the server side of linux where basically all the jobs are going to be i think).

http://labs.play-with-docker.com/