CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Policy push speed is unchanged

Default Re: Policy push speed is unchanged

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    If you're already getting a policy installation of around two minutes, then you're not going to see much in the way of improvement.
    For rulebase of 1200 rules, a two minute policy installation time from an R77.30 manager is highly unusual unless you've enabled fw_light_verify, which disables the policy verification step.
    And no, you shouldn't have that enabled, see http://checkpoint-master-architect.b...meter-you.html

For most customers, a rulebase of 1200 users takes a lot longer than 2 minutes to push from R77.30, whereas on R80.10, it should take 2-3 minutes (assuming a small delta).
    so basically, what checkpoint defines "as improvements" is more like credit cards companies claimed of "low interests" with many "fine prints" that are not really usable in a real world environment

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    so basically, what checkpoint defines "as improvements" is more like credit cards companies claimed of "low interests" with many "fine prints" that are not really usable in a real world environment
    For most installations I am familiar with of a similar size, a policy push on a 1200 rule rulebase could easily take at least ten minutes.
    In that context, reducing policy push to 2-3 minutes is a huge improvement.

So tell me: do you have fw_light_verify enabled or not?
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

For most installations I am familiar with of a similar size, a policy push on a 1200 rule rulebase could easily take at least ten minutes.
    In that context, reducing policy push to 2-3 minutes is a huge improvement.

So tell me: do you have fw_light_verify enabled or not?
    I do not enable this feature.

Your point is that I should see improvements if there is a small delta change, the policy push should improve a lot. doesn't look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    I do not enable this feature.

Your point is that I should see improvements if there is a small delta change, the policy push should improve a lot. doesn't look that way.
    And for many customers who participated in the EA of R80.10, they reported exactly that--improved policy installation times.
    However, their policy install probably took significantly more than 2 minutes to install prior to R80.10.

Well yeah I definitely see policy push speed improvement with R80.10. I just upgraded from R77.30 to R80.10 [in a lab environment] with rules base around 150 and saw drastic change in policy push speed. R77.30 usually takes around 2.30 mins while R80.10 I observed well under min.

well my firewall is again R80.10

And for many customers who participated in the EA of R80.10, they reported exactly that--improved policy installation times.
    However, their policy install probably took significantly more than 2 minutes to install prior to R80.10.
    You just need to note again GW should be also R80.10 to benefit. Otherwise it may same or even a bit more time to push policy to R77.30 and below, considering the new MGMT architecture.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    You just need to note again GW should be also R80.10 to benefit. Otherwise it may same or even a bit more time to push policy to R77.30 and below, considering the new MGMT architecture.
    Improvements in the policy verification process will also apply to installing policies on R77.x (and earlier) gateways, thus you may see an improvement there, particularly if the policy is large (thousands of rules).
    There are additional improvements that only apply to R80.10+ gateways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12