CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: Delete specific logfile entries

Default Delete specific logfile entries

Hello,
    I have a deployment with some gateways that log to their management where logs get stored for x months. A new gateway on a remote site brings a regulatory requirement to keep logfiles back for 7 days at most, after that time logs have to be purged.
    Is there any other way to comply with this requirement other than using a separate/dedicated log server for this gateway, like a secret fw log command that can delete entries from a specific object in the log?

I'm pretty sure there is no way to do this but if there is a way to not have a separate log server it would help tremendously.

Default Re: Delete specific logfile entries

You can store firewall logs localy, but you will not be able to use SmartTracker or SmartLog (without additional steps..)

Default Re: Delete specific logfile entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Hello,
    I have a deployment with some gateways that log to their management where logs get stored for x months. A new gateway on a remote site brings a regulatory requirement to keep logfiles back for 7 days at most, after that time logs have to be purged.
    Is there any other way to comply with this requirement other than using a separate/dedicated log server for this gateway, like a secret fw log command that can delete entries from a specific object in the log?

I'm pretty sure there is no way to do this but if there is a way to not have a separate log server it would help tremendously.
    The described task is impossible to achieve as stated. You cannot delete specific entries from a log file. You may, however, switch log files every day and remove files older than a week. There are even script examples available on CPUG for this
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/