CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: 730 Appliances managed by SmartCenter?

Default 730 Appliances managed by SmartCenter?

Hi,

just a quick question: Is it possible to manage 730 Appliances through Smart Center? I installed Windows Server 2008 R8, SMS, SMP R12.11. SIC is also already initialized, im getting logs from this box, but i'm unable to install any policy.

THX in advance

cheers/badbyte

Default Re: 730 Appliances managed by SmartCenter?

Quote Originally Posted by badbyte View Post
    Hi,

just a quick question: Is it possible to manage 730 Appliances through Smart Center? I installed Windows Server 2008 R8, SMS, SMP R12.11. SIC is also already initialized, im getting logs from this box, but i'm unable to install any policy.

THX in advance

cheers/badbyte
    Not familiar with the 700 series specifically, but as the replacement for the 600 series which could not be centrally managed by a SMS I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    --
    My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
    now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

If you compare the specifications of the 700 appliances to these of the 1400 appliances you will see that there are only some little differences in the description of interfaces between the two types of appliances. But for 1400 it is stated: "Central Management Model / Enterprise Security Management". For 700 there are 2 options specified: "web-based local management interface" and Check Point's "Cloud-Managed Security Services".

If you want to use 1400 appliances running R77.20 with central management you need the Management Add-On. For R77.30 it is specified in sk105412.

Cannot centrally manage 700 Series like 1400s.
    They are managed by SMP sk112233. Build one SMP server for my company.

Thanks.

Indeed, some Gaia Embedded appliances are not meant to be managed by SMS (SmartCenter).

The 1100, 1200R and 1400 series appliances are capable of being centrally managed via SmartCenter.
    The 600 and 700 series can either be locally managed, or managed via the SMP (Cloud or on-premise).

I understand from your question that you did install the SMP, but tried to push policy via the SmartDashboard. It's important to understand that the SMP leverages some of the SmartCenter infrastructure behind the scenes (mainly for SIC and logging). That is why it is installed.
    However, the policy cannot be pushed from it, because SMP managed gateways control their policy in a different way.

On a side note, we are working on support for managing the security rulebase from the SMP UI. We plan to include this in the next SMP release (R12.30).
    If you'd like to experiment with this, we also have it running on an alpha server in the cloud, so let me know and we can grant access.

Regards,
    Tomer

Director of SMB and Device Operations

Hi Tomer,

would be great if you can grant access, that i can test this a little bit.
    Is this an official EA?

Cheers/Gerry

This may not be a "public" EA (e.g. listed in UserCenter), but I would believe Tomer if he says it exists. :)
    Please send your contact details to either Tomer or myself in a PM.
    http://phoneboy.com
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by noytomer View Post
    Indeed, some Gaia Embedded appliances are not meant to be managed by SMS (SmartCenter).

The 1100, 1200R and 1400 series appliances are capable of being centrally managed via SmartCenter.
    The 600 and 700 series can either be locally managed, or managed via the SMP (Cloud or on-premise).

I understand from your question that you did install the SMP, but tried to push policy via the SmartDashboard. It's important to understand that the SMP leverages some of the SmartCenter infrastructure behind the scenes (mainly for SIC and logging). That is why it is installed.
    However, the policy cannot be pushed from it, because SMP managed gateways control their policy in a different way.

On a side note, we are working on support for managing the security rulebase from the SMP UI. We plan to include this in the next SMP release (R12.30).
    If you'd like to experiment with this, we also have it running on an alpha server in the cloud, so let me know and we can grant access.

Regards,
    Tomer

Director of SMB and Device Operations
    >>> On a side note, we are working on support for managing the security rulebase from the SMP UI. We plan to include this in the next SMP release (R12.30).
    When GA will be released?

Chances for this end of month?

another question: i'am always loosing the connection to the appliances. Is it possible that the internet connectivy is too slow? Most of the time there is a delay of ~20 ms, only a few times a day it is more. It's a real PITA... Is anybody aware of that kind of problems?

Cheers/Gerry