CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

** Announcing the #CPUGchallenge **

I'm very happy to announce that CPUG will be hosting "The CPUG Challenge" during CPX this year.
It promises to be a fun and interesting event that will test (and maybe even expand) your knowledge of Check Point.
Whether or not you plan to attend CPX, we have something for you. Please check out this post or the CPUGchallenge.com web site for more information. -E

Thread: Connection entry is not getting removed from R75.40 even it receives a reset

Default Connection entry is not getting removed from R75.40 even it receives a reset

Hi all,

We have a 4800 pair running R75.40 GAIA. Here is the setup we have

Source-->Fw1(R75.40)-->Fw2(R77.20)-->-->Fw3(R77.20)-->Server

Server has the idle session timeout value of 900 seconds and it is sending a reset packet after it doesn't see anything in the 900 secs. Fw3 , Fw2 is closing the connection after they see a reset packet but fw1 is not removing the entry from connection table.

As source has received the reset packet, for all new connections it it will start with a tcp 3 way hand shake. Now the issue is when Fw1 sees syn packet, it is converting it to ack (smart conn reuse). But fw 2 is dropping the ack packet as it has no entry in its conn table(as it is expecting syn).

The issue is intermittent on fw1. Is it a bug on R75.40 Version.

We have default tcp timeout value.

Any thoughts

Default Re: Connection entry is not getting removed from R75.40 even it receives a reset

Disable Smart Connection Reuse on you R75.40 gateway.
    sk24960: "Smart Connection Reuse" feature modifies some SYN packets

Default Re: Connection entry is not getting removed from R75.40 even it receives a reset

Quote Originally Posted by Superuser123 View Post
    Hi all,

We have a 4800 pair running R75.40 GAIA. Here is the setup we have

Source-->Fw1(R75.40)-->Fw2(R77.20)-->-->Fw3(R77.20)-->Server

Server has the idle session timeout value of 900 seconds and it is sending a reset packet after it doesn't see anything in the 900 secs. Fw3 , Fw2 is closing the connection after they see a reset packet but fw1 is not removing the entry from connection table.

As source has received the reset packet, for all new connections it it will start with a tcp 3 way hand shake. Now the issue is when Fw1 sees syn packet, it is converting it to ack (smart conn reuse). But fw 2 is dropping the ack packet as it has no entry in its conn table(as it is expecting syn).

The issue is intermittent on fw1. Is it a bug on R75.40 Version.

We have default tcp timeout value.

Any thoughts
    I'm not sure why the one firewall isn't removing the connection from the connection table. Do all 3 have the same IPS policy?

Maybe check fw_trust_rst_on_port between the 3?

I use fwconn_smart_conn_reuse=1 to disable smart reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmoore0883 View Post
    Disable Smart Connection Reuse on you R75.40 gateway.
    sk24960: "Smart Connection Reuse" feature modifies some SYN packets
    I tried disabling it. I saw drops in the logs saying. "Syn on already established connection". So I reverted it back.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    I'm not sure why the one firewall isn't removing the connection from the connection table. Do all 3 have the same IPS policy?

All the 3 firewalls don't have IPS policy..

There is no checkpoint documentation for this connection table issue. I clearly see the entry was removed last week and we thought the issue was resolved. I cannot understand why is it being removed now.

Note: Source uses same port when initiating the traffic.

I tried disabling it. I saw drops in the logs saying. "Syn on already established connection". So I reverted it back.
    After making the change, give things time to clear out from the connections table and for the connections to try to re-establish. Try pushing policy or manually clearing the connections table.

When a connection is considered "over" by the firewall, the connection will still hang out in the connections table for the amount of seconds specified by TCP end timeout under Global Properties...Stateful Inspection regardless of whether Smart Reuse is on or not. Default value is 20 seconds and 5 more seconds will be added if SecureXL is enabled (fwaccel stat to check). Try lowering the TCP end timeout to 5 seconds.
    --
    My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
    now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

All the 3 firewalls don't have IPS policy..

There is no checkpoint documentation for this connection table issue. I clearly see the entry was removed last week and we thought the issue was resolved. I cannot understand why is it being removed now.

Note: Source uses same port when initiating the traffic.
    Yeah, that sucks. I see basically two way to deal with this.

recreate the 75.40 gateway in a lab and recreate the issue with tcpreplay or maybe netcat assuming it will let you control source port. Its a little hard to get tcpreply working but its such a great tool to learn.

Once you've recreated the issue you can then try appling the IPS policy used on the other gateways that don't have an issue.

you can also try upgrading the firewall. Just thinking if the other firewalls that are at a high version aren't having the issue then is worth trying. Oh and of course what shadowpeak brought up as well.

Or you can just disable smart connection reuse with that kernel var i posted. It will allow the 2nd session through and the old tcp session will either be reused or a new one will be made and the old one will time out anyway.

Yeah, that sucks. I see basically two way to deal with this.

recreate the 75.40 gateway in a lab and recreate the issue with tcpreplay or maybe netcat assuming it will let you control source port. Its a little hard to get tcpreply working but its such a great tool to learn.
    Packet Injector (Check Point's version of Cisco's Packet Tracer tool) allows specifying a source port and is much easier to use. See sk110865.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    Packet Injector (Check Point's version of Cisco's Packet Tracer tool) allows specifying a source port and is much easier to use. See sk110865.
    I really do need to take a better look at this, well assuming user center didn't go MIA.. i mean.. planned maintenance at noon on Friday. DOH!

I really do need to take a better look at this, well assuming user center didn't go MIA.. i mean.. planned maintenance at noon on Friday. DOH!
    I put Packet Injector through it's paces awhile back and it has come in quite handy even though it is relatively new. Can be a bit tricky getting everything exactly correct such that the destination system receiving the crafted packet will answer back, and the tool will even show you that reply packet as well.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by jdmoore0883 View Post
    After making the change, give things time to clear out from the connections table and for the connections to try to re-establish. Try pushing policy or manually clearing the connections table.
    Thank you JD..We are planning to upgrade the box R77.20 and see the issue is addressed. I have gone through the R75.40 known limitations article but did not find anything.

I hope this upgrade fixes the issue.

BTW this should have been

fw_reuse_established_conn=-1
    Last edited by jflemingeds; 2017-01-20 at 14:02. Reason: ugh.. i'll get this right in a sec. :D

Just a reminder, R/5.40 is out of support for eons...
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/