CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: R80 SmartEvent /var/log > NFS

Default R80 SmartEvent /var/log > NFS

I'm currently building a SmartEvent Server on R80. First time I've built one and just wondering has anybody ever redirected the /var/log via fstab to an NFS share to allow the logs/event/etc to be stored on our SAN and therefore increasing the amount of logs we can store?

Doesn't sepcifically have to have been on R80 just GAIA I guess.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Mark.

Default Re: R80 SmartEvent /var/log > NFS

Quote Originally Posted by oldhamuk View Post
    I'm currently building a SmartEvent Server on R80. First time I've built one and just wondering has anybody ever redirected the /var/log via fstab to an NFS share to allow the logs/event/etc to be stored on our SAN and therefore increasing the amount of logs we can store?

Doesn't sepcifically have to have been on R80 just GAIA I guess.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Mark.
    I haven't tried it, but i guess the first question is does R80 even ship with the required utilities to mount nfs. My guess is no. iscsi might be a 2nd option to look into with the same question. Of course you'll want to make sure this is even a supported configuration.

I have a smartevent box i'm using that has 2 fiber channel cards in it. I've got the both postgres and SOL on it right now, but the plan was to split the two. Checkpoint said changing the database location wasn't supported and was untested but that it should work (it did).

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhamuk View Post
    ...just wondering has anybody ever redirected the /var/log via fstab to an NFS share to allow the logs/event/etc to be stored on our SAN and therefore increasing the amount of logs we can store?
    A - Don't do it! There is SO much Disk I/O, you would need a VERY fast NFS Server and connection, and even then, you will still suffer from performance issues. As per sk66003: "How to change the default storage path for FireWall Log files on Security Management Server":
    "Do NOT place the new log directory on a remote file system. This might result an unpredicted corruptions in active log files (fw.log, fw.adtlog)."

The better option is to mount the NFS share on it's own partition/directory, and through the use of a script, copy old log files to that share, and remove them from /var/log.

Thanks for the feedback its much appreciated and I'll take it on board and look at 'jdmoore0883' suggestion of using a script to offload old logs from /var/log to a separate NFS share.

Mark.