CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: CPUG MERGE event updates

Default CPUG MERGE event updates

To jump to the most recent event announcement, click here.

I’m happy to announce that our first CPUG MERGE event will be held in Buffalo, NY on Wednesday, October 26! Join us downtown at Pearl Street Grill & Brewery at 2:30 for all the fun. Stick around afterwards for free dinner, drinks, and prizes!

Register here now! If you don't pre-register we may not have room for you.

What is a “CPUG MERGE” event? It’s basically an educational, networking meetup. The idea is to have a bunch of people get together and share information, knowledge, experiences, ideas, and questions. Those people could be industry experts, vendor representatives, end-users, consultants, or really anyone with at least some connection to or interest in Check Point offerings.

Who’s going to be there? We already have commitment from some interesting end-users, CP engineers, and at least one very active, high-profile CPUG member (no, I’m not referring to myself). If you want to find out who it is, you’ll either have to show up, or wait to hear what you missed. I will promise, however, that you’ll recognize the name (his posts have likely helped you out at least once). Of course, we hope you’ll be there as well!

Why Buffalo? Because of the wings, of course! Actually, it’s mostly because we already have some interest, and we’re going to be in the area anyway.

Will there be more CPUG MERGE events - in other locations? We sure hope so! If anyone is interested in hosting one, please reach out to me (EricAnderson) directly. We’d love to hear your suggestions, and have gatherings going on all over the place. With enough interest and success, this will hopefully lead to the return of a bigger, annual event. If asked nicely and often enough, we may even consider streaming future events online.

Where does the name “CPUG MERGE” come from?
    - An implication that we’ll be “getting together” and combining (merging) our experiences
    - A play on “cp merge” (which many of you should understand)
    - An acronym – but not one we’re totally sold on yet. Feel free to make suggestions. There may even be a prize for the winning idea ;)

See you soon!

-E

BTW: Yes, I know this is rather last-minute, but this was driven by opportunity. It's also primarily a local event that I wouldn't expect people to travel to. Of course, we'll welcome people from anywhere. Future events will give a bit more warning ;)
    Last edited by EricAnderson; 2016-11-29 at 13:38.

Default Re: CPUG event!!!

Keep up the good job, Eric :-)
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    Keep up the good job, Eric :-)
    Alright, Valeri...here you go...

Our next MERGE event has been scheduled - almost 3 weeks in advance this time!

This time we'll be in Rochester, NY at the Rohrbach Railroad Street Beer Hall. Yes, there will be beer.

So save the date: Wednesday, Nov 30, 2016. MERGE from 2:30-5:00, and then hang around for some fun.

Speakers and topics are still being worked out - but even without any celebrities, we know how to have a good (and informative) time.

Click here for more info, and to register. See you there!

-E
    Last edited by EricAnderson; 2016-11-16 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by EricAnderson View Post
    Alright, Valeri...here you go...

Our next MERGE event has been scheduled - almost 3 weeks in advance this time!

This time we'll be in Rochester, NY at the Rohrbach Railroad Street Beer Hall. Yes, there will be beer.

So save the date: Tuesday, Nov 30, 2016. MERGE from 2:30-5:00, and then hang around for some fun.

Speakers and topics are still being worked out - but even without any celebrities, we know how to have a good (and informative) time.

Click here for more info, and to register. See you there!

-E
    Cool!

Considering this is 3 weeks notice, I think I will try to register. Will it be possible to attend remotely by skype or something similar?
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    Considering this is 3 weeks notice, I think I will try to register. Will it be possible to attend remotely by skype or something similar?
    Wasn't planning to, but for you, Val, I'll see what I can do.

Would others be interested? May be time for a survey...

-E

Quote Originally Posted by EricAnderson View Post
    Wasn't planning to, but for you, Val, I'll see what I can do.

Would others be interested? May be time for a survey...

-E
    No problem at all. Let me know if that would be an option.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Default Re: CPUG event(s)!!!

Just FYI it would be Wednesday November 30th!

Quote Originally Posted by aweldon View Post
    Just FYI it would be Wednesday November 30th!
    Good catch. Thanks!

-E

Exciting news item #1: Due to popular request, this week's CPUG MERGE event will be streamed online!
    While we won't guarantee it'll be as good as being in Rochester in person (especially since you'll miss out on the free food and drink), the content should be well worth it.
    Upon registering here, you'll be sent information on how to attend via GoToWebinar. We'll be broadcasting our presentations and panel discussion for everyone, and accepting questions online as well.

Exciting news item #2: We've lined up Check Point's Ariel Shuper as a guest presenter!
    Ariel is Product Manager for R80, and will be explaining the joys of "Layers"
    More info below...

Here are the full agenda and registration links:

Wednesday, November 30, 2016
    2:30-5:00pm (EST, or GMT-5)

Agenda
    2:30-3:00 – Welcome and Introductions
    * What is CPUG?
    3:00-4:00 - Special Guest Presenter: Ariel Shuper, Check Point Product Manager for R80 (Even if you can't attend the full event, don't miss this!)
    * Ariel will be guiding us on a dive into the new realm of “Layers”
    * Learn what are layers today, and how to use them
    * Learn about the upcoming Unification, Segregation, and Sub-policy options in R80.10
    * Learn how this impacts both security and performance
    * Following Ariel’s tour of cool new stuff, we’ll keep him around for a bit of Q&A
    4:00-5:00 - Open panel discussion on whatever topics interest the audience (we’ll have some ideas ready to help spur conversation).
    Panelists scheduled to participate (we’re all engineers, so this may change):
    * Ariel Shuper, our esteemed guest speaker (see above)
    * Elie Klein, Check Point Security Engineer extraordinaire
    * Valeri Loukine, blogger and CPUG legend (as well as our Ambassador to Europe)
    * Eric Anderson, just me
    * we may have some others stop by, based on availability

Register for online streaming here: https://cpug-merge-online-201611.eventbrite.com/

Register to attend in person here: https://cpug-merge-roc-201611.eventbrite.com/

See you all tomorrow!

-E
    Last edited by EricAnderson; 2016-11-29 at 14:44.

So how was the event?

Default Re: CPUG MERGE event updates

I attended via the web. Some technical difficulties but that was to be expected. I thought it was interesting.

I also attended via web. As mentioned some technical problems and questions via chat did not seem to work / were not seen. Over all very good and looking forward to more of these.

-pat

Anyone happen to have a recording of the session(s)?

In answers to all: I thought it was OK. Of course, I can be a bit self-critical. I had hoped for a bit smoother running, but we ran into some issues:
    - Primarily with our guest presenter getting into GoToWebinar. We may have already identified the source, and should be good-to-go next time. I truly appreciate the quick thinking of Elie in getting Ariel connected, albeit a bit crudely.
    - There was also a problem with Q&A. That'll definitely be working next time.
    - I've been told that the main topic was a bit "salesy". My goal is for any presentations to be more technical, and ideally not be things that you can hear elsewhere, like from your local Check Point SE. That said, I believe that (sound problems aside) Ariel presented a very timely and interesting topic, and I've gotten plenty of feedback that it was valued and appreciated.

What last week's event did well, was prove the concept of a "hybrid" in-person/online event can work. I'd still prefer it to be one or the other, as we can better cater to and interact with one type of audience at a time. I enjoy both types of interaction, but doing both simultaneously isn't ideal. We're still trying to work on getting onsite events to become a reality in more locations. I welcome suggestions!!!

I'd also welcome suggestions on future topics. Let me know, either in this thread or personally, what you'd like to see and/or hear.

As for recording, I do have one, but the quality is a bit less that I'd like. I want to see if I can clean up the audio a bit and make it available to everyone. Give me a few more days (I'm teaching this week).

Finally, let me throw a big "Thank You" to everyone who participated, from our speakers, to our panelists, and especially to our attendees. You all make these things informative and fun.

See you all at the next CPUG MERGE!

-E