CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Check Point introduces new licensing model. Again

Default Check Point introduces new licensing model. Again

Hi all, in case you have missed this, take a look at Check Point price list. Software Blade licensing is no more.

Some details here: http://checkpoint-master-architect.b...s-no-more.html
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI
    http://checkpoint-master-architect.blogspot.com/

Default Check Point introduces new licensing model. Again

Few points:

1. Generally the Open Server licensing is now more aligned with the Appliances offering.

2. Only the included SmartEvent in a management license is annual, standalone SmartEvent licenses are perpetual.

3. 2-core Open Server "firewall only" licenses are still available, otherwise NGTX included in the first year at all other levels (note core tiers are different).

4. Older Open Server licenses will still continue to work and be enforced on older terms (specifically the ability to run X core licenses on Y core machines, where X < Y).

5. The only place I see a trade in being forced is when you want to upgrade an existing gateway to a cluster, or extend an existing cluster that has older licenses. This is because licenses must match on all members of a cluster. Otherwise, I'm not aware of specific plans to require users to move to this licensing.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Default Re: Check Point introduces new licensing model. Again

[QUOTE=PhoneBoy;93157]Few points:

1. Generally the Open Server licensing is now more aligned with the Appliances offering.

Also more expensive and less flexible, due to all features being bundled together

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    2. Only the included SmartEvent in a management license is annual, standalone SmartEvent licenses are perpetual.
    May be, although Check Point SE I have been talking about this, did not specify that standalone SmartEvent is perpetual.

3. 2-core Open Server "firewall only" licenses are still available, otherwise NGTX included in the first year at all other levels (note core tiers are different).
    See footnote in the post :-)

4. Older Open Server licenses will still continue to work and be enforced on older terms (specifically the ability to run X core licenses on Y core machines, where X < Y).
    yet adding new functionality will require new license. Also there is unclear message about migrating everybody to new licenses in the future. If you can clarify that, it would be great.

5. The only place I see a trade in being forced is when you want to upgrade an existing gateway to a cluster, or extend an existing cluster that has older licenses. This is because licenses must match on all members of a cluster. Otherwise, I'm not aware of specific plans to require users to move to this licensing.
    Which is every second extension case, actually.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Standalone SmartEvent licenses are definitely perpetual.
    See example from Product Catalog:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	353 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1163

I believe, though I will need to check this, that you can simply use either CPSB-NGTX-X-1Y, CPSB-NGTP-X-1Y, or CPSB-NGFW-X-1Y (where X is S, M, L, XL, or X2L depending on # of cores) to extend an existing Open Server license with blades.

Standalone SmartEvent licenses are definitely perpetual.
    See example from Product Catalog:

I believe, though I will need to check this, that you can simply use either CPSB-NGTX-X-1Y, CPSB-NGTP-X-1Y, or CPSB-NGFW-X-1Y (where X is S, M, L, XL, or X2L depending on # of cores) to extend an existing Open Server license with blades.
    Sure thing, but buying the whole jazz instead of a single software blade to add is more expensive.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

And, it turns out, I was wrong.
    If you want to extend the functionality of your existing Open Server licenses (i.e. add more blades than originally purchased), you'll need to do a trade in to the new licenses.
    This is consistent with how it has worked previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I am quite confused with new CP licensing (I guess this is not news :) )

1. If we are using open servers with FW, VPN, ADN, ACCL blades (these are perpetual, as far as I understand) and IPS (CPSB-IPS-M-2Y, expiring soon) can we extend this setup as is or we must switch to new licensing model (we received conflicting info so far)?

I tried to explore new licensing model. Let's say, when using Product Catalog & Quoting, I put in 4-core gateway CPSG-4C-NGTP. Here are questions:
    2. is NGTP functionality (IPS, APCL, URLF, AV...) included for the first year or I need to get CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y along CPSG-4C-NGTP?
    3. under Security Service Extension I have two options to add: CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y and CPSB-NGFW-M-1Y. Will I have to pay for both of them next year? I expect NGFW to be subset of NGTP or NGTP to contain NGFW. If getting NGTP there should be no need to get NGFW, but quoting tool allows me to have them both in parallel.
    4. I have a gateway license (CPSG-P405, 4 cores, 5 blades, unlimited users). Do I need to trade in that license and get CPSG-4C-NGTP or I can continue to use the current CPSG-P405 and simply get CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y and attach it to the current CPSG-P405 (I may exceed number of blades if I do that)?
    5. in case I need to replace CPSG-P405 with CPSG-4C-NGTP, is it direct replacement or I need to pay extra (I don't expect to get quote here, just info is it one-to-one or not)

Thanks!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sr_bo View Post
    Hi all,

. If we are using open servers with FW, VPN, ADN, ACCL blades (these are perpetual, as far as I understand) and IPS (CPSB-IPS-M-2Y, expiring soon) can we extend this setup as is or we must switch to new licensing model (we received conflicting info so far)?
    You should be able to renew your existing annual subscriptions without any problem. However, if you want to add some new functionality, you have to switch to the new licensing.

2. is NGTP functionality (IPS, APCL, URLF, AV...) included for the first year or I need to get CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y along CPSG-4C-NGTP?
    All subscriptions are already included for the first year.

3. under Security Service Extension I have two options to add: CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y and CPSB-NGFW-M-1Y. Will I have to pay for both of them next year? I expect NGFW to be subset of NGTP or NGTP to contain NGFW. If getting NGTP there should be no need to get NGFW, but quoting tool allows me to have them both in parallel.
    You are correct, NGFW is a subset of NGTP. If you have the latter, you do not have to buy the former in addition.

4. I have a gateway license (CPSG-P405, 4 cores, 5 blades, unlimited users). Do I need to trade in that license and get CPSG-4C-NGTP or I can continue to use the current CPSG-P405 and simply get CPSB-NGTP-M-1Y and attach it to the current CPSG-P405 (I may exceed number of blades if I do that)?
    No, you cannot mix. Either "old" licensing or new, but not both. I would also expect CP to start pushing customers to switch to the new model in 2017. It is not happening just yet.

5. in case I need to replace CPSG-P405 with CPSG-4C-NGTP, is it direct replacement or I need to pay extra (I don't expect to get quote here, just info is it one-to-one or not)
    Check Point says you will have to trade in the old one to get new license. It is not a conversion. It is also unclear if there is a price difference. Although they have said trade-in credit will be 100% for the old one for some time, one still needs to compare prices here. Considering the opd price list is no longer available, I really cannot say. Ask your local SE, he should know for sure.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Hi,

is there a new License Guide available? I only got the Checkpoint License Guide from 2012. I need a newer License Guide to check out what my company needs.

No. Considering SB licensing is no more, this is disconcerting.
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

While I can't speak for a lack of a licensing guide, I can recommend that you speak with your local Check Point rep who should be able to help you navigate the various choices.
    I'm also happy to discuss your specific situation with you privately.

While I can't speak for a lack of a licensing guide, I can recommend that you speak with your local Check Point rep who should be able to help you navigate the various choices.
    I'm also happy to discuss your specific situation with you privately.
    With all due respect, I would expect Check Point to release a new version of the licensing guide even before you are changing the model again. As you may know, local SEs are quite busy with actual business development and support escalations. Having licenses properly documented would help everybody.

VL
    -------------

Valeri Loukine
    CCMA, CCSM, CCSI

Quote Originally Posted by varera View Post
    With all due respect, I would expect Check Point to release a new version of the licensing guide even before you are changing the model again. As you may know, local SEs are quite busy with actual business development and support escalations. Having licenses properly documented would help everybody.
    While I know there have been some licensing guides over the years, I'm not sure exactly what licensing guide is being referred to in this case.
    I haven't seen the one from 2012 being referred to here, but I can find some guides from 2009 and earlier that list the various SKUs.

Personally, I find the Product Catalog actually answers a lot of questions related to current licensing.
    Anyone with a User Center account can access the Product Catalog by going to Quoting Tools > Product Catalog and Quoting in User Center.
    From there, you can browse the various options (appliances, software, services) and see MSRP pricing (in US Dollars).

If you have a question about a specific SKU, you can type that SKU into the search field.
    If you select a gateway product (either appliance or software), you can browse what items can be added onto it.
    For example, when I select an 8 core Security Gateway (Open Server):

Name:	product-catalog-1.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1186

I see the following page (in two graphics):

Name:	product-catalog-2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1187

Name:	product-catalog-3.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1188

Likewise, if I pick a 5 gateway Open Server management:

Name:	product-catalog-4.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	1189

The various options are here:

Name:	product-catalog-5.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1190
    '
    Note that in both cases, there is a "Display" line that will affect which SKUs are shown.
    For example, in management, choosing "Event Management" will show you the management SKUs that include SmartEvent.

In a previous post on this thread, I said:

Which implies that you were no longer able to purchase, say, a 2 core license for an 8 core Open Server appliance.
    It appears this will now be permitted with the new Open Server licenses as it was in the past.