CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: New Recommended JHF for R77.30: Take 159

Default New Recommended JHF for R77.30: Take 159

The latest recommended Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator for R77.30 is now available: Take 159
    It includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
    CPUSE is the recommended way to install this take.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com...ionid=sk106162
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Default Re: New Recommended JHF for R77.30: Take 159

could someone please explain Checkpoint's hotfix release schedules? what assurance do I have that hotfixes recommended by TAC is reliable? our Diamond engineer has always recommended the latest release. couple months ago I was given Take 138. two weeks later I discovered Take 138 was recalled "This specific Take package was recalled for additional testing." I had a wtf moment cuz I dont know why it was recalled. does anyone know what and how are hotfixes are tested before release to customers?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne0206 View Post
    could someone please explain Checkpoint's hotfix release schedules? what assurance do I have that hotfixes recommended by TAC is reliable? our Diamond engineer has always recommended the latest release. couple months ago I was given Take 138. two weeks later I discovered Take 138 was recalled "This specific Take package was recalled for additional testing." I had a wtf moment cuz I dont know why it was recalled. does anyone know what and how are hotfixes are tested before release to customers?
    I doubt you'll find out that much on how checkpoint QAs things from this forum. That being said, I think the better approach is picking a version of hotfix and deeming it your standard build. Then come up with a process of what would need to be tested for the next release to be deemed stable. You're internet facing devices might need more updates more frequently depending on what fixed a hotfix addresses.

Now on the why was it revoked, you have diamond, use it. Call up your rep. If he doesn't give you the info you want then move up the chain. I would point out however its important to have a good working relationship with these guys. Trust goes a very long way here.

... of course I also believe in arming yourself with info as well. If you have a offline copy of the package why don't you pull it apart and see what changed from one version to the other? This is linux after all and all the tools for doing damn near anything are just a few google search away.

Backup, restore in lab, start experimenting, assuming time permits of course. Nothing worse than an interesting problem.

You could always add sriracha to the hotfix. I have yet to see something that wasn't made awesome with sriracha.

As I wrote on a different thread: https://www.cpug.org/forums/showthre...1685#post91685

• "Recommended" Jumbo Hotfixes (i.e. explicitly listed in the SK) have undergone a full QA cycle and are safe for general use. They are usually not the very latest jumbo hotfix.
    • Other Jumbo Hotfixes undergo point testing and should only be deployed if TAC has explicitly determined it will address a specific problem you are having.

If you have recently (in the last month) gotten a blanket recommendation to go to the latest jumbo hotfix, please PM me the SR number.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    You could always add sriracha to the hotfix. I have yet to see something that wasn't made awesome with sriracha.
    lol. sriracha mayo is awesome. add some fly fish roe and spread it on half shelved mussels. bake it for a few minutes and you get dynamite mussels serve in resturants.

Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    Or one could choose another approach

-Keep hotfixes as individual packages UNTIL its deemed stable enough to include it into JHFA
    -Keep some kind of flag/label on Jumbo HFA page next to each releases take. Label like - Recommended, cutting edge, Limited QA etc
    This is exactly what I wish CP would do. Cisco labels their IOS as General Deployment (GD), Early Deployment (ED), and etc. I have always choose GD unless ED is required for new hardware for features.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtfalke View Post

CheckPoint QA is really annoying but every time you have a problem the first question is "Do you have the lastes JHFA installed? No? Please install it and then come back".

Regards
    So true

lol. sriracha mayo is awesome. add some fly fish roe and spread it on half shelved mussels. bake it for a few minutes and you get dynamite mussels serve in resturants.
    oh damn.. I've never attempted a shellfish dish before, but that does sound awesome. I have a slight aversion to mayo so you lost me a little on that one, but mussels are kick ass.

We've (wife and I) been making lentil .. um.. soup... stew? I'm not really what to call it. Wife got the recipe from a guy she works with that is from india. It started as a veg dish, but my wife is from WI so .. you know it ended up with brats in it. :D

I never knew how amazing lentils were until now. We're using dried lentils and slow cooking them for 8-10 hours. Of course there are jalapenos and sriracha added here and there as well as garam masala. I love how they're still kind of crunchy.

The problem with multiple one-off hotfixes is that sometimes one-off hotfixes conflict with each other.
    By putting them into a jumbo hotfix, those dependencies can be minimized and resolved.

Think of "recommended" jumbo hotfixes as general deployment and ones without that moniker as early deployment (to use Cisco's terminology).
    Take 159 is labelled as a "General Availability" take in the SK if you review the "List of resolved issues per Take"--I presume this will be the practice going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    The problem with multiple one-off hotfixes is that sometimes one-off hotfixes conflict with each other.
    By putting them into a jumbo hotfix, those dependencies can be minimized and resolved.

Think of "recommended" jumbo hotfixes as general deployment and ones without that moniker as early deployment (to use Cisco's terminology).
    Take 159 is labelled as a "General Availability" take in the SK if you review the "List of resolved issues per Take"--I presume this will be the practice going forward.
    are you saying all hotfixes prior to 159 are considered early deployment?

are you saying all hotfixes prior to 159 are considered early deployment?
    With possibly one or two exceptions, yes.
    Again, going forward, I expect "GA" takes will be labelled as such.

I am going to apply Take 159 to my cluster this weekend. I was hoping for Take 161 to be a stable GA release by now, but Take 159 will have to do.

We are making the small'ish jump from Take 117 to Take 159 mainly for HTTPS inspection issues that we have been running into. Hence the wishing Take 161 for the Probe Bypass Destination vs Catergory bug issue that is resolved. I will let the other posters know how the upgrade and stability is next week.