CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: Clustered FW errors on cp_merge

Default Clustered FW errors on cp_merge

Hi all.

Trying to migrate across from R65 P1 to SMS R77, following below thread loosely:

https://www.cpug.org/forums/showthre...t-1-standalone

Got our 3rd party to dump objects_5_0.C file, and rulebase.fws file, trying to merge just objects file into new server.

Around 99% of objects are created successfully in the new database, but any clustered objects (such as the FWs that will eventually be managed by this new server) aren't being added, seemingly erroring on a cluster property in the object:

Code:
    NEWSPUB.LHC : Validation error in field 'Number of cluster members' of element #1 at object 'NEWSPUB.LHC' @ 'Network Objects' --> The referenced object 'fw1.newspub.telhc' from table 'network_objects' does not exist in the database

fw2.newspub.telhc : Validation error in field 'Cluster Object' at object 'fw2.newspub.telhc' @ 'Network Objects' --> The referenced object 'NEWSPUB.LHC' from table 'network_objects' does not exist in the database

fw1.newspub.telhc : Validation error in field 'Cluster Object' at object 'fw1.newspub.telhc' @ 'Network Objects' --> The referenced object 'NEWSPUB.LHC' from table 'network_objects' does not exist in the database

There's about 30 of these objects not being added, and I can manually add them if I have to - just wondered why these are erroring, and whether there will be any issue migrating these FWs from P1 to Smart-1.

Thanks!

CS

Default Re: Clustered FW errors on cp_merge

Is there a reason that cannot use the standard migration tools. I am going to hazard a guess that having an issue with the CA not being present on the box that attempting to import too. Isn't like the 4.1 days when could copy a file to move a management server. Use the Migration Tools as move the parts that are necessary.

Personally would do the following.

1.) Build a P1 R77. ( Virtuals are good for this )
    2.) Use the R77 Migration Tools to export the R65 to the R77 - make sure that remove Global Policy from the CMA/Domain first of all as per standard migration
    3.) Build an R77 SMS as a Secondary Management Server and synch the R77 SMS with the R77 CMA/Domain
    4.) Shutdown the R77 P1 and then promote the R77 SMS from Secondary to Primary
    5.) Delete any policies you don't want

sk65385 contains How To docs one of which is how to promote Secondary Management to Primary, found in the Security Management Section. Whilst is R65 the process is the same for R7x as well.

Can you go from 65 to 77? The upgrade wizard says you need to go through R75.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    Can you go from 65 to 77? The upgrade wizard says you need to go through R75.
    Excellent point! Didn't think that with saying that attempting it

From the R77 Release notes

You can upgrade these Security Management Server and Security Gateway versions to R77:
     R71.50
     R75, R75.10, R75.20, R75.30, R75.40, R75.45, R75.46, R75.40VS
     R76

So yes will need to do an intermediate step of R65 to one of these then the intermediate to R77

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies...

I've actually just added these gateway/clusters on manually, so I can add the rules.

I'm at the point where I've got 2 x R77.10 SMS, with all objects and rules added. So next step is to actually do the migration; my thoughts are:

1. Reset SIC on Gateways
    2. Initialise trust on SMS towards gateways
    3. Get topology from each cluster/gateway I initialise trust with
    4. (after ensuring new rulebase matches old rulebase) install policy on gateways

Is this about right? My only concern is the topology "get", not 100% sure on why this is needed - can I manually define, and not bother? Or better to run the "get"?

Cheers

CS

The interface names/ip address etc need to match what is o the box.

Is why is better to do the Get Interfaces so that it pulls this through from the gateway after establishing SIC. No reason why cannot do all manually if you want however.

Unless doing a Get Interfaces with Topology then will have to configure the Address Spoofing manually anyway.

Is really just a case of using the tools provided so that don't have to do the work manually really.

Quote Originally Posted by captainserious View Post
    Is this about right?
    A - Yes, this is indeed correct.

My only concern is the topology "get", not 100% sure on why this is needed - can I manually define, and not bother?
    A - Yes, you could if you really wanted to.

Or better to run the "get"?
    A - This is (arguably) the better option:
    - faster
    - easier
    - and if for some reason you mis-configured the IP on the device itself, when you "get", this can server as another layer of verification for such details

Quote Originally Posted by jdmoore0883 View Post
    A - Yes, this is indeed correct.

A - Yes, you could if you really wanted to.

A - This is (arguably) the better option:
    - faster
    - easier
    - and if for some reason you mis-configured the IP on the device itself, when you "get", this can server as another layer of verification for such details
    Great, thanks a lot - reasonably new to Checkpoint, and been chucked into the deep-end somewhat.

Are there any gotchas regarding moving the existing gateways to new the management server?

Also, in terms of a rollback plan (as I'd like a reverse path :) ), I could just reset SIC again, and re-initialise to the old server?

Are there any gotchas regarding moving the existing gateways to new the management server?
    A - Not really... I mean, you'll have to reset SIC which can restart the Checkpoint services (there is a way to do so without that restart though, if need be), but other than that, it should be rather straightforward.

Also, in terms of a rollback plan (as I'd like a reverse path :) ), I could just reset SIC again, and re-initialise to the old server?
    A - This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmoore0883 View Post
    A - Not really... I mean, you'll have to reset SIC which can restart the Checkpoint services (there is a way to do so without that restart though, if need be), but other than that, it should be rather straightforward.

A - This is correct.
    Okay that should be fine anyway - we've got 2 pairs of FWs, one pair active and one pair stby, so we can just do stby and then failover to 2nd DC.

Cheers!