CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: R77.30 jumbo hotfix

Default R77.30 jumbo hotfix

Just in case you're wondering how much efforts checkpoint has put into the QA these jumbo hotfixes, look no further than sk106162:

Checkpoint released R77.30 jumbox hotfix Take 145 in 05/10/2016. Two weeks later, it released Take 155. Then you see a note under Take 155: This specific Take package was recalled for additional testing and was replaced by Take 156, which became available on 05/30/2016.

so much for QA work...

Default Re: R77.30 jumbo hotfix

There have been multiple recalls last few months iirc...
    Not good. I think Dorit needs to start chopping heads :)

Generally speaking, Jumbo HFAs are not intended for wide use immediately upon release.
    Think of them like one-off hotfixes, meant to be applied only if you have the specific issues.
    This is because they evolve rapidly to solve immediate customer issues.
    Point testing is done on these releases prior to initial release and they are available only through TAC.

After a more substantial QA process is done--usually for several weeks after initial release--a Jumbo HFA may be deemed "recommended."
    These Jumbo HFAs can be more widely used.

Due to some confusion, some customers that shouldn't have received the latest Jumbo HFA did.
    The process has been corrected so that only the customers that actually need the latest Jumbo HFA will receive it (else they can receive the latest "recommended" Jumbo HFA).

I hope this clears things up.
    Last edited by PhoneBoy; 2016-10-07 at 17:44. Reason: typo
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Or one could choose another approach

-Keep hotfixes as individual packages UNTIL its deemed stable enough to include it into JHFA
    -Keep some kind of flag/label on Jumbo HFA page next to each releases take. Label like - Recommended, cutting edge, Limited QA etc

I've heard the non-official recommendation from official people that JHFA should only be installed if needed and never in preventive manner due to limited QA on them.
    Fair enough.

On the other hand LARGE amount of TAC people recommend to install latest JHFA when problems occur. And i'll tell you it's not always based on merit, far from it, but looks more like old windows recommendation "try to restart the computer".

R77.30 Jumbo page also says

It is recommended to install Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator on all the R77.30 machines in the environment - Security Gateways / Management Servers / etc. running on Gaia OS
    NOW I see that it has recently been added Latest recommended Take and Latest available Take. This was NOT the case before...this is a recent change probably due to all screw ups with recent JHFA's.

Personally I didn't have many issues with JHFA specifically, but CP QA certainly deserves a slap now and then.
    Seeing certain issues and bugs from R65 era till now popping up in newer versions simply pisses me off.

One of things coming up lately on R77.30 and scalable platforms R76SP.* is still the *** damn issue with logging and fwd daemon which existed through pretty much every major version released. And guess what, once again there is a hotfix for it.....question is for how long will this one last....

Anyway sorry if it feels like a rant, I generally have understanding with technology and challenges within, but when some things are re-occurring on regular bases year after year I kind of get a FFS moment.

Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    Or one could choose another approach

-Keep hotfixes as individual packages UNTIL its deemed stable enough to include it into JHFA
    -Keep some kind of flag/label on Jumbo HFA page next to each releases take. Label like - Recommended, cutting edge, Limited QA etc

I've heard the non-official recommendation from official people that JHFA should only be installed if needed and never in preventive manner due to limited QA on them.
    Fair enough.

On the other hand LARGE amount of TAC people recommend to install latest JHFA when problems occur. And i'll tell you it's not always based on merit, far from it, but looks more like old windows recommendation "try to restart the computer".

R77.30 Jumbo page also says

NOW I see that it has recently been added Latest recommended Take and Latest available Take. This was NOT the case before...this is a recent change probably due to all screw ups with recent JHFA's.

Personally I didn't have many issues with JHFA specifically, but CP QA certainly deserves a slap now and then.
    Seeing certain issues and bugs from R65 era till now popping up in newer versions simply pisses me off.

One of things coming up lately on R77.30 and scalable platforms R76SP.* is still the *** damn issue with logging and fwd daemon which existed through pretty much every major version released. And guess what, once again there is a hotfix for it.....question is for how long will this one last....

Anyway sorry if it feels like a rant, I generally have understanding with technology and challenges within, but when some things are re-occurring on regular bases year after year I kind of get a FFS moment.

I couldn't have said this any better myself. That is really summing up my frustration with both Checkpoint and Checkpoint TAC.

I just can agree with Agoabusharif last post.

CheckPoitn QA is really annoying but every time you have a problem the first question ist "Do you have the lastes JHFA installed? No? Please install it and then come back".

So having an additional "flag" for the HFA like "recommended" and so on could have a benefit for customers. Of course - just lable this is not enough it is mandatory that CheckPoint QA did it work well.

Regards

The only reason you should be offered the latest Jumbo HFA going forward is if it's known it will fix your issue.
    Otherwise you should be offered the latest recommended Jumbo HFA.
    If something happens contrary to this, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by abusharif View Post
    Please send me TAC SRs where this has happened recently via PM, I'll have someone from CHKP QA have a look.