CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: CPAP-SG4208

Default CPAP-SG4208

Hi all,

I have CPAP-SG4208 model appliance, which in description says "Check Point 4200 Appliance with FW, VPN, IA, ADNC, MOB, IPS, APCL and DLP"
    Can I buy extra blade license? And use this blade of course. URLF for example. Or I'm only allowed to extend one year blades which came with appliance?

Thanks

Default Re: CPAP-SG4208

Quote Originally Posted by *tomo* View Post
    Hi all,

I have CPAP-SG4208 model appliance, which in description says "Check Point 4200 Appliance with FW, VPN, IA, ADNC, MOB, IPS, APCL and DLP"
    Can I buy extra blade license? And use this blade of course. URLF for example. Or I'm only allowed to extend one year blades which came with appliance?

Thanks
    The FW, VPN, IA, ADNC, MOB blades are perpetual and never expire; you will be able to use those indefinitely. The IPS, APCL and DLP blades are subscription-based and must be purchased year after year to continue using them. By default when asking a reseller for a renewal, all perpetual blades will be kept under support and all subscription blades will be renewed. However if you are not currently using some of the subscription blades (run "enabled_blades" on the firewall to check), not renewing the unused subscription blades can save quite a bit of money. You can add any additional blades you like as long as they are compatible with the current function of the box (i.e. Security Management Server, Security Gateway or both).
    --
    Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
    Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    The FW, VPN, IA, ADNC, MOB blades are perpetual and never expire; you will be able to use those indefinitely. The IPS, APCL and DLP blades are subscription-based and must be purchased year after year to continue using them. By default when asking a reseller for a renewal, all perpetual blades will be kept under support and all subscription blades will be renewed. However if you are not currently using some of the subscription blades (run "enabled_blades" on the firewall to check), not renewing the unused subscription blades can save quite a bit of money. You can add any additional blades you like as long as they are compatible with the current function of the box (i.e. Security Management Server, Security Gateway or both).
    Hi,

Tnx, that was my logic too, but now funny part. I actually have valid contract for extra blades, but when I try to enable any of blades that are not inititally included, I can't install policy with message that I don't have valid license. I tried to update service contract via smart update and cli with same result. No go.
    cplic print shows:

Contract Coverage:

# ID Expiration SKU
    ===+===========+============+====================
    1 | H2S7RR4 | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-ASPM-S-1Y
    +-----------+------------+--------------------
    |Covers: CPVP-SNX-5-NGX CPSB-SWB CPSB-ADNC-M
    | cpap-sg420x cpsb-fw cpsm-c-2 cpsb-vpn cpsb-npm cpsb-logs cpsb-ia cpsb-sslvpn-5 cpsb-adnc cpsb-dlp cpsb-ips-s1 cpsb-apcl-s1
    2 | RH3S5G3 | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-AV-S-1Y
    | cpap-sg420x cpsb-fw cpsm-c-2 cpsb-vpn cpsb-npm cpsb-logs cpsb-ia cpsb-sslvpn-5 cpsb-adnc cpsb-dlp cpsb-ips-s1 cpsb-apcl-s1
    3 | 1F6IPO0 | 2Mar2016 | CPCES-CO-STANDARD-ADD
    4 | 345SD2U | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-APCL-S-1Y
    5 | 3GPQ3AQ | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-URLF-S-1Y
    6 | AEGUYU4 | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-IPS-S-1Y
    7 | A0W4AYU | 2Mar2016 | CPSB-ABOT-S-1Y

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usercenter.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	1066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abot.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	1067

It is 4200 apliance running Gaia R75.46 with smartcenter and firewall on it.

Well I cannot see AntiBot or Anti-Virus or URL license in your contract coverage part. can see cpsb-dlp, cpsb-apcl-s1, but not the equivalent parts for Antibot or Anti-Virus, i.e. cpsb-abot etc

Have you relicensed in User Centre and attached the new license with the additional blades onto the Appliances, or simply downloaded the servicecontract.xml contract file.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    Have you relicensed in User Centre and attached the new license with the additional blades onto the Appliances, or simply downloaded the servicecontract.xml contract file.
    No I didn't, I thought that new contract is enough. I guess it is enough when you don't add/remove blades. Solved. Thanks man.

Both a license and a contract are needed to use the annual software blades.
    The appliance license allows you to turn the blades on.
    The contract allows you to access the data needed to drive the blades (URL categorization, compromised hosts/URLs, etc).

I'm not sure why a license is still needed since the NGTP blades are largely useless without a contract anyway.
    The IPS Blade is the only NGTP blade with some allowed usage without a contract.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own