CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: SmartEvent DNS Querie Throttling

Default SmartEvent DNS Querie Throttling

Smart-1 225 Appliance, dedicated for SmartEvent/SmartReporter, R77.20

In some infrequent situations the SmartEvent device will cause a DOS in our environment. I have Network Quota enabled on our internet facing gateways. There are times when SmartEvent queries our internal DNS servers for external lookups at a rate that causes the internal DNS servers to exceed the Network Quota threshold. Resulting in all external DNS lookups (including those from the user community) to be denied for the timeout period.

I realize I could bump up the Network Quota threshold, or exclude the internal DNS servers from Network Quota altogether. However, we've run for years with current settings and wish to maintain them.

Is there a way to limit the rate of DNS queries originating from my Smart-1 225 box?

Kind regards,
    dbrown

Default Re: SmartEvent DNS Querie Throttling

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown3611 View Post
    Smart-1 225 Appliance, dedicated for SmartEvent/SmartReporter, R77.20

In some infrequent situations the SmartEvent device will cause a DOS in our environment. I have Network Quota enabled on our internet facing gateways. There are times when SmartEvent queries our internal DNS servers for external lookups at a rate that causes the internal DNS servers to exceed the Network Quota threshold. Resulting in all external DNS lookups (including those from the user community) to be denied for the timeout period.

I realize I could bump up the Network Quota threshold, or exclude the internal DNS servers from Network Quota altogether. However, we've run for years with current settings and wish to maintain them.

Is there a way to limit the rate of DNS queries originating from my Smart-1 225 box?

Kind regards,
    dbrown
    yikes.. hmm.. i don't know of any, but really i think your best off excluding.

Is it possible your DNS server isn't caching negative results? I haven't touched DNS in a long time so there is a good chance i just made that up. :D

Default Re: SmartEvent DNS Querie Throttling

oh it looks like NGSE does have a caching DNS feature.

sk106337