CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Used Appliances useless

Default Used Appliances useless

I recently purchased a used U-5 (very cheap) to test Check Point policy on these devices. After many calls and support tickets I got nowhere. Check Point used the lame excuse that they have no way of verifying if the device was purchased legally or stolen. So far they will not add it to my account. This very restrictive policy means once purchased these device have a value near zero.

Has anyone found a way to add these devices to accounts so blade licenses can be renewed?

Default Re: Used Appliances useless

Quote Originally Posted by security4it View Post
    I recently purchased a used U-5 (very cheap) to test Check Point policy on these devices. After many calls and support tickets I got nowhere. Check Point used the lame excuse that they have no way of verifying if the device was purchased legally or stolen. So far they will not add it to my account. This very restrictive policy means once purchased these device have a value near zero.

Has anyone found a way to add these devices to accounts so blade licenses can be renewed?
    Burned by ebay as well? There is already a thread about this.

Even when you get a device that is legally purchased but there has been a shipping mix up and you get the wrong box you have to jump through hoops to get it moved with Account Servics, pictures showing the Serial/MAC numbers etc PO/SO numbers. It also isn't support but Account Services that you need to deal with. They won't just take your word for it. This may come as a shock but there are some dishonest people out their.

However there is a simple way round this when both the person selling and the person buying the person have UserCenter Accounts. If they don't have a usercenter account then the appliance isn't theres to sell!

You need to be an administrator in both accounts, but that does then allow the transfer of the appliance and it's license between accounts. The seller creates a separate user centre account for you, transfers the appliance(s) into that account , then makes you an administrator. They don't have any other appliances in there so you cannot steal other appliances to your Account. You then end up with the Appliance in your account. The seller then removes the purchaser from the UserCentre account

Job Done.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    Even when you get a device that is legally purchased but there has been a shipping mix up and you get the wrong box you have to jump through hoops to get it moved with Account Servics, pictures showing the Serial/MAC numbers etc PO/SO numbers. It also isn't support but Account Services that you need to deal with. They won't just take your word for it. This may come as a shock but there are some dishonest people out their.

However there is a simple way round this when both the person selling and the person buying the person have UserCenter Accounts. If they don't have a usercenter account then the appliance isn't theres to sell!

You need to be an administrator in both accounts, but that does then allow the transfer of the appliance and it's license between accounts. The seller creates a separate user centre account for you, transfers the appliance(s) into that account , then makes you an administrator. They don't have any other appliances in there so you cannot steal other appliances to your Account. You then end up with the Appliance in your account. The seller then removes the purchaser from the UserCentre account

Job Done.
    I agree with some of the statements and yes I did open the ticket with account services not support.

I don't agree with the statement that if they don't have an account they don't own it. I have dealt with used IBM equipment for years. Brokers buy this equipment all the time and if they purchase it from the current owner is is theirs to sell.

Check Point is just being a bully about this. They can easily find the previous owner via the mac.

I don't know, to me this is like buying a car without the title.

Quote Originally Posted by security4it View Post
    I agree with some of the statements and yes I did open the ticket with account services not support.

I don't agree with the statement that if they don't have an account they don't own it. I have dealt with used IBM equipment for years. Brokers buy this equipment all the time and if they purchase it from the current owner is is theirs to sell.

Check Point is just being a bully about this. They can easily find the previous owner via the mac.
    When the original owners sell it on then they can transfer the Appliance to the buyers using the same manner. There really isn't any reason why the owner of a product doesn't have the product in there User Centre. When the first buyer gets it from Check Point then it goes into the buyers UserCentre account. When they sell on then no reason why they cannot transfer the product to the new buyers account using this process. It works!

The reason why Check Point does this is that when used to be pre-user centre if you knew a license key you could use it. Even if was someone elses.
    User Centre came along and there was a lot of dodgy dealings with people poaching customers as partners could see everyones accounts. End Users were getting quotes from partners not dealing with. Users and Partners weren't happy. They then made it so the partner had to be added to the Customers User Centre account to be able to provide quotes etc.

If a Partner has a Product Key then they can find the Account in which it is done. You can then email the Account Administrator to say why trying to add the Product in there account into your own. The Account Administrator can then deal with you to transfer the product to your account.

Account Services won't however just start taking products out of Accounts just become someone says they have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    When the original owners sell it on then they can transfer the Appliance to the buyers using the same manner. There really isn't any reason why the owner of a product doesn't have the product in there User Centre. When the first buyer gets it from Check Point then it goes into the buyers UserCentre account. When they sell on then no reason why they cannot transfer the product to the new buyers account using this process. It works!

The reason why Check Point does this is that when used to be pre-user centre if you knew a license key you could use it. Even if was someone elses.
    User Centre came along and there was a lot of dodgy dealings with people poaching customers as partners could see everyones accounts. End Users were getting quotes from partners not dealing with. Users and Partners weren't happy. They then made it so the partner had to be added to the Customers User Centre account to be able to provide quotes etc.

If a Partner has a Product Key then they can find the Account in which it is done. You can then email the Account Administrator to say why trying to add the Product in there account into your own. The Account Administrator can then deal with you to transfer the product to your account.

Account Services won't however just start taking products out of Accounts just become someone says they have bought it.
    Well account services will tell you none of that.

Ok so I looked up a key at random. That gave me the detail regarding the license and which account it is registered in. When the account number is looked up it provides no info as to the admin so there is no way to contact - dead end.