CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it yet again - That's right, the 3rd edition is here!
You can read his announcement post here.
It's a massive upgrade focusing on current versions, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Reconnect Utility as an msi?

Default Reconnect Utility as an msi?

We recently moved our endpoint management to a new device with new IP address, and built the reconnect utility which works perfectly for reconnecting existing endpoints to the new server.

We don't have SCCM, but can deploy through AD to get this utility out to all the machines, however, it's an .exe, is there any way to get it built as an .msi package instead?

Default Re: Reconnect Utility as an msi?

When launching the exe does it extract as an msi to %appdata% or similar folder? I haven't used the utility myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aweldon View Post
    When launching the exe does it extract as an msi to %appdata% or similar folder? I haven't used the utility myself.
    No, it just runs and reconnects the client to the new server.

If you're interested, here's the instructions:

How to create the Reconnect executable?
    For Endpoint Security Client on Windows OS:
    1. Export any Software package using the Endpoint Management Console / SmartEndpoint.
    2. After exporting a Software package, a file config.dat should be created on your Endpoint Security Management Server in the following path:
    %FWDIR%\conf\SMC-Files\uepm\DA\config.dat
    3. Copy the config.dat file from your Endpoint Security Management Server to your Endpoint Management Console / SmartEndpoint computer.
    4. Open Windows Command Prompt:
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - right-click on the "Command Prompt" - click on 'Run as administrator'.
    5. Navigate to SmartConsole folder:
    cd /d "c:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\<VERSION>\PROGRAM\da ta\RepWorkFolder\INVOKE\"
    6. Create the Reconnect executable file:
    maketool.bat \path_to\config.dat [client_uninstall_password]
    Notes:
     'client_uninstall_password' is an optional parameter, if not provided here, it should be entered on the client computer
     See limitation for clients using token-based uninstall authentication below.
     The Reconnect.exe executable will be created in the current directory.
    Example:
    C:\> cd /d "c:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\E80.40\PROGRAM\data\ RepWorkFolder\INVOKE\"

c:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\E80.40\PROGRAM\data\ RepWorkFolder\INVOKE> MakeTool.bat config.dat 12345

Run Reconnect.exe on a client computer.

c:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\E80.40\PROGRAM\data\ RepWorkFolder\INVOKE>
    7. Copy the Reconnect.exe file from your Endpoint Management Console / SmartEndpoint computer to the Endpoint Security Client machine on Windows OS.
    8. Double-click the Reconnect.exe - follow the on-screen instructions. This utility will switch the Endpoint Management Server for the running Endpoint Security Client on-the-fly:
     stop all relevant daemons
     replace the configuration file
     reload the daemons

Interesting, I just spun up a new E80.62 server running R77.30.01 after support recommended no longer running them on the same network/endpoint policy server. The recommended a clean break between the two servers and did not offer up any sort of transfer tool. What version are you upgrading to? Also, maybe this?

http://exetomsi.com/freeware.php

Quote Originally Posted by aweldon View Post
    Interesting, I just spun up a new E80.62 server running R77.30.01 after support recommended no longer running them on the same network/endpoint policy server. The recommended a clean break between the two servers and did not offer up any sort of transfer tool. What version are you upgrading to? Also, maybe this?

http://exetomsi.com/freeware.php
    We went to E80.62 (R77.30.01) as well. I had to call into support and get that document. It does work. I'll have a look at that link shortly. Thanks!

Crud, that software requires a license in order for the msi to not expire. $300 for one msi package is a little steep... :/

This is another trial ware.. http://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

Do you have a centralized collector for this new endpoint server? Also, are you running FDE on your endpoints?