CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Chrome 42 -- Java no longer allowed as a plugin -- NPAPI -- Mobile Access

Default Chrome 42 -- Java no longer allowed as a plugin -- NPAPI -- Mobile Access

In Chrome 42 the Java plugin is no longer available to use because Chrome is ending support for NPAPI plugins. Google notified developers in 2013 that this was coming and Java decided to ignore it. As a result, since Checkpoint uses Java to run the SSL Network Extender for Mobile access, users can no longer use Chrome. I realize there are workarounds to enable NPAPI in Chrome but that is temporary. In September 2015 Chrome 45 will remove this workaround.

I'd like to know what Checkpoint's direction is for Chrome and mobile access. Right now many of my users are unable to use Chrome, and its affecting my business. I don't know whether to be upset at Java or be disappointed at Checkpoint. Checkpoint is the developer of Mobile Access, and should have known this was coming.

http://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation

Can someone please advise?

Default Re: Chrome 42 -- Java no longer allowed as a plugin -- NPAPI -- Mobile Access

If Google is removing some capabilities from Chrome, that is their doing, and there is nothing Checkpoint can do about that...

As for the SNX Client and MAB... It is currently all Java based, and changing this would require a whole new client written in another language... Something that isn't likely to happen if just 1 browser decides to no longer support Java.

In this case, the problem is Chrome/Google dropping Java, rather than Checkpoint not having a new client at the ready.

Default Re: Chrome 42 -- Java no longer allowed as a plugin -- NPAPI -- Mobile Access

Honestly I disagree, Checkpoint can do something about it. If Checkpoint is a security company then they should NOT use plugins that are insecure. Seriously, Oracles website says if people want to use their Java plugin they should use a different browser (other than Chrome). To me Oracle is acting irresponsible and unprofessional. How about you fix your problem instead of avoid it.

Chrome isn't the first browser to disallow NPAPI plugins (i.e Java, Silverlight). M$ stopped support in IE5.5, and Firefox has reduced support from version 30 and beyond.

I am not trying to point fingers at any particular company, however Checkpoint needs to have a solution. They wrote an application to work with IE, which is why the SSL network extender works differently from that browser. I would assume they will need to use another method other than Java to access MAB from Chrome, the only unfortunate thing now is they have their backs against the wall because in September it will completely unusable.

Everyone's assuming there is another way to accomplish what NSAPI allows for with the other APIs Google has in Chrome.
    There may not be, which means even if Oracle wanted to port Java to Chrome sans NSAPI, it may simply not be possible without additional APIs from Google that they may or may not ever provide.
    The same may be true for what Check Point does with SNX as well.
    Assuming the necessary APIs exist, it could easily be a major development effort.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

In case anyone has read this and is wondering, Checkpoint finally created an SK on this.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com...ionid=sk106021

I am encouraged that they are saying "Until Check Point modifies the relevant products" but it doesn't give a time frame or schedule. I am hoping Checkpoint dumps Java JRE entirely since it is the root of all evil.

At least they are looking at it.