CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.


First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2008-09-18
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    13

    Default HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    I've poked and prodded at CP for an ETA on the HP Gen 9 support. I can't get any sort of answer.

    Anyone tried to run Gaia on the newest gen of HP servers? Any problems / gotchas? I'm really leery to run it on hardware not on the HCL, but:
    1. HP servers in the Gen 8 class are starting to get hard to find.
    2. The HCL has only had seven server additions in the past 2 years (and only one HP, 320 Gen8 v2)
    3. Appliances are not as economical. I've done the comparisons in the past, and it is way under powered compared to what I can get in open hardware for the same price.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2005-08-14
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    I can't comment on if/when Gen9 HP hardware will be supported.

    In general, when looking at the cost of Open Servers versus Appliances, you have to look at the total cost of ownership over a long term.
    This includes not only the hardware acquisition costs, but the cost of maintenance on the hardware and software, long-term availability of components, etc.
    The long-term supportability of Appliances is significantly better than Open Servers.
    Also, even older appliances have trade-in value when it comes time to upgrade.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2008-09-18
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    In general, when looking at the cost of Open Servers versus Appliances, you have to look at the total cost of ownership over a long term.
    This includes not only the hardware acquisition costs, but the cost of maintenance on the hardware and software, long-term availability of components, etc.
    The long-term supportability of Appliances is significantly better than Open Servers.
    Also, even older appliances have trade-in value when it comes time to upgrade.
    Been there, done that. Appliances are not a great deal

    https://www.cpug.org/forums/showthre...9854#post79854

    By my math, after 6 years, the appliances only then start to be more economical than open servers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2005-08-14
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Since I didn't see the numbers you used to work this out, I can't comment on your math :)
    That said when I've went through this exercise with several customers, I can usually show the cost savings earlier than six years.
    However, each situation is different.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2006-12-04
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    I can't comment on if/when Gen9 HP hardware will be supported.
    According our SE, Gen9 will be supported *very soon*.
    Last edited by serlud; 2015-04-22 at 04:52.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2015-05-18
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    I was wondering if anyone has any updates regarding the Gen9 support? I need to build out a pair of new Open Servers soon, and would prefer to use the latest HP hardware if possible. I was hoping maybe the HCL would get updated with the release of R77.30, but I haven't seen that change yet.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2014-10-03
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by SVXDan83 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any updates regarding the Gen9 support? I need to build out a pair of new Open Servers soon, and would prefer to use the latest HP hardware if possible. I was hoping maybe the HCL would get updated with the release of R77.30, but I haven't seen that change yet.

    Thanks!
    I just got notified by checkpoint that "HP Gen9 failed certification. It's unclear if or when HP Gen9 will be supported".
    This is kind of major news, we're a HP-shop and run a lot of open servers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2015-05-18
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by sk0yern View Post
    I just got notified by checkpoint that "HP Gen9 failed certification. It's unclear if or when HP Gen9 will be supported".
    This is kind of major news, we're a HP-shop and run a lot of open servers.
    Wow! That is pretty surprising, as I know the HP DL3xx platform has been a staple for Open Servers for quite a while. Our rep at CDW indicated that getting the DL360/380 Gen8's shouldn't be a problem for the immediate. So, if nothing else, this gives me some ammunition to argue to grab new boxes for Open Server now before the Gen8 supply dries up! I've never really had a good experience with Dell. So, I'd like to keep these running in the HP family for as long as possible.

    Hopefully CP can get whatever the support issue is worked out! Thanks for the update, though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2006-12-04
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    We have tried to install GA R77.30 on HP DL 360 and 380 (with RAID 5, RAID 6). (installation of R77.20 crash avery attemp - possible reason not correct RAID dirver)
    Installation works without any problem , configuration (first installation wizard ) works also without any problem.
    After 1 week we have not found any HDD-RAID problems (by using eval lics)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2008-09-18
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    We're going to deploy new open servers in upcoming weeks, and were looking forward to using DL360 Gen9 servers as well.
    Trying to get an update on their support status from both Check Point and our support partner ATM.
    If anyone has fresh new on this issue, please share !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2007-06-04
    Posts
    3,314
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    They still don't appear on the Hardware Compatibility List.

    I did hear however that appeared to be issue with the Gen 9 if using UEFI rather the BIOS so if use BIOS rather then UEFI should be good.

    If used BIOS then worked OK.

    Haven't actually worked with Gen 9 myself so is just what I heard from colleagues.

    However they haven't been added to the HCL yet so may want to hold off production machines with them. Depending upon who get in TAC then may or may not get the Not Supported as not on the HCL if need to raise a ticket.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2014-11-14
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    based on personal experience with the Gen9s a customer of mine tried using.... We were able to go through the install process, and even got some configurations going. But once we rebooted the appliance, everything seemed to go to hell in a handbasket, with a variety of strange issues; in short, were were never able to properly reboot afterwards. Re-install, and everything looked fine again, reboot and dead again. We did this a few times, and verified the ISO and everything. It was only after this point that we really looked at the hardware we were using and the HCL....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2006-09-26
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmoore0883 View Post
    based on personal experience with the Gen9s a customer of mine tried using.... We were able to go through the install process, and even got some configurations going. But once we rebooted the appliance, everything seemed to go to hell in a handbasket, with a variety of strange issues; in short, were were never able to properly reboot afterwards. Re-install, and everything looked fine again, reboot and dead again. We did this a few times, and verified the ISO and everything. It was only after this point that we really looked at the hardware we were using and the HCL....
    From my personal experience, Dell R710 PowerEdge server with Intel NIC is the best platform to run Checkpoint on Open Servers platform. IBM x3650M3 is probably better than Dell R710 platforms. Go with these platforms and you will have a stable platforms.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2008-09-18
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Some news:
    My own support request for information about HP Gen9 servers support status was DELETED by Check Point. How rude!
    Our HP reseller told me HP DL360p Gen8 servers are now out of sale, which I could confirm on HP's website (note that this only applies to my country, France; HP is still selling them in the US).
    Our CP support partner told me VPN-1 on HP Gen9 servers has actually been deployed at a few select customer sites, within the frame of an EA program, which is ending very soon, and the outcome should be made publicly available next week.

    It's good to know Dell and IBM have supported configurations available, but the whole point of open servers is to be able to pick your favorite OEM within a decently sized list (>2).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2005-08-14
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Two HP Gen9 Servers were added to the HCL as of today:

    http://www.checkpoint.com/services/t...info/0131.html
    http://www.checkpoint.com/services/t...info/0132.html

    They are supported on R77.30 and above if you follow the steps in sk108200.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

  16. #16
    Join Date
    2008-09-18
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    Two HP Gen9 Servers were added to the HCL as of today:

    http://www.checkpoint.com/services/t...info/0131.html
    http://www.checkpoint.com/services/t...info/0132.html

    They are supported on R77.30 and above if you follow the steps in sk108200.
    Thanks for the heads up @PhoneBoy.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    2014-11-14
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    They are supported on R77.30 and above if you follow the steps in sk108200.
    For those who care, the SK was recently edited to more accurately reflect the actual BIOS options in the iLo.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    2006-12-04
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    It will be great if CP can update HCL with correct information about fiber or copper.
    All NICs with *T* at the end support Copper , but not Fiber.

    Current status on CP Web:

    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Copper 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Fiber 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366FLR Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Copper 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 561FLR-T Adapter PCI-E 10 Gbps Fiber 2 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 561T Adapter PCI-E 10 Gbps Fiber 2 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —

    Should be :

    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Copper 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Copper 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366FLR Adapter PCI-E 1 Gbps Copper 4 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 561FLR-T Adapter PCI-E 10 Gbps Copper 2 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 561T Adapter PCI-E 10 Gbps Copper 2 — ✔Supported on R77.20 and up —
    Last edited by serlud; 2016-02-25 at 12:28.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    2016-04-21
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    We are facing serious issues with R77.20 and R77.30 support for DL 380 Gen9. Smart array and NICs were selected as per HCL including BIOS settings.
    R77.20 anaconda crashes
    R77.30 using machine info view during installation causes anaconda KeyError 4194304. Install completes with no further errors. First boot generates kernel panic/segfault.

    Check Point confirmed 128 GB RAM is supported even though HCL states 16 GB currently. Anyone with success story or other experiences?
    Last edited by mrmef; 2016-04-25 at 03:00.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    2011-08-02
    Location
    http://spikefishsolutions.com
    Posts
    1,668
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: HP Gen 9 Server Support for Gaia

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmef View Post
    We are facing serious issues with R77.20 and R77.30 support for DL 380 Gen9. Smart array and NICs were selected as per HCL including BIOS settings.
    R77.20 anaconda crashes
    R77.30 using machine info view during installation causes anaconda KeyError 4194304. Install completes with no further errors. First boot generates kernel panic/segfault.

    Check Point confirmed 128 GB RAM is supported even though HCL states 16 GB currently. Anyone with success story or other experiences?
    Looks like that key error is a known issue for at least R77.20. I'm assuming support found that?

    Do you need any help at this point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2014-05-27, 13:30
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2013-05-28, 01:34
  3. Eval. new CP Managemt Server (Open Server) R75.45 GAiA
    By abc150781 in forum Security Management Server (Formerly SmartCenter Server ((Formerly Management Server))
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2013-05-22, 10:41
  4. Gaia Support on 2000 & 4200 series
    By sebastan_bach in forum Check Point Security Gateway Appliances
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2013-03-06, 00:28
  5. GAIA R75.45 NTP server
    By accesslimiter in forum R75.40 (GAiA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012-11-16, 11:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •