CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Power: One of our own has just been published!

Default Max Power: One of our own has just been published!

Community, I am very happy to announce that one of our own members has officially (and literally) "written the book" on tweaking and improving Check Point firewall performance. Timothy C. Hall (better known to all of you as ShadowPeak.com) has just published a new book called "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization". It is available now digitally via maxpowerfirewalls.com and hardcopies can be obtained via Amazon USA, Amazon UK, and Amazon Europe. The book contains loads of optimization tips with detailed explanations and examples.

On behalf of the cpug community, I would like to both congratulate and thank Tim for his efforts. I'd also like to add, that while the review quote he printed from me is correct (and a bit more professional), the alternate one that I wanted him to use was this:

Not for the faint-of-heart! Get this book only if you're not afraid to get your hands [very] dirty, supercharge your firewalls, and have some fun. In this reviewer's humble opinion, it should be titled "Pimp My Firewall".

Great job, Tim!

-E

(before you ask, no, neither I nor cpug receive any proceeds from book sales)
    Last edited by EricAnderson; 2015-04-09 at 09:25.

Default Re: One of our own has just been published!

Quote Originally Posted by EricAnderson View Post
    Community, I am very happy to announce that one of our own members has officially (and literally) "written the book" on tweaking and improving Check Point firewall performance. Timothy C. Hall (better known to all of you as ShadowPeak.com) has just published a new book called "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization". It is available now digitally via maxpowerfirewalls.com and hardcopies can be obtained via Amazon USA, Amazon UK, and Amazon Europe. The book contains loads of optimization tips with detailed explanations and examples.

On behalf of the cpug community, I would like to both congratulate and thank Tim for his efforts. I'd also like to add, that while the review quote he printed from me is correct (and a bit more professional), the alternate one that I wanted him to use was this:

Great job, Tim!

-E

(before you ask, no, neither I nor cpug receive any proceeds from book sales)
    My god... Shadpeak is Tim Hall, who is Max Power, who is... Homer Simpson..

Mind... BLOWN..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvVbIhKh-M

Oh and congrats! I hope there is a huge section on VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by jflemingeds View Post
    My god... Shadpeak is Tim Hall, who is Max Power, who is... Homer Simpson..

Mind... BLOWN..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvVbIhKh-M

Oh and congrats! I hope there is a huge section on VPN.
    I was looking for an easily-remembered slogan to pair with the rest of the title and I actually did watch that Simpsons episode when it premiered (yes I am old). Also Check Point seems to use the word Power a lot (Security Power Units, Power-1 Appliances, etc.) so it seemed fitting.

There is a fair amount of VPN content in the book as it directly relates to performance (you can see a free preview of the book's Table of Contents at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com), any further VPN content based on my experience could have easily doubled the size of the book and it would have taken forever to finish. Thanks!
    Last edited by ShadowPeak.com; 2015-04-09 at 12:38.

I am looking forward to my copy arriving on Tuesday (my older eyes prefer paper books to digital readers).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    There is a fair amount of VPN content in the book as it directly relates to performance (you can see a free preview of the book's Table of Contents at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com), any further VPN content based on my experience could have easily doubled the size of the book and it would have taken forever to finish. Thanks!
    Does your book have a section on how to configure site-2-site VPN between Checkpoint and Cisco using External Certificate Authority (CA), specifically Microsoft CA?

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    Does your book have a section on how to configure site-2-site VPN between Checkpoint and Cisco using External Certificate Authority (CA), specifically Microsoft CA?
    No, the Max Power book keeps a sharp focus on performance optimization of Check Point firewalls and covers VPNs only from that perspective.

However the Check Point Security Engineering class does have a lab exercise (Lab 5: Configuring Site-to-Site VPNs with Third Party Certificates) where you do exactly that setup between two separately-managed Check Point firewalls.

No, the Max Power book keeps a sharp focus on performance optimization of Check Point firewalls and covers VPNs only from that perspective.

However the Check Point Security Engineering class does have a lab exercise (Lab 5: Configuring Site-to-Site VPNs with Third Party Certificates) where you do exactly that setup between two separately-managed Check Point firewalls.
    I attended the class about 10 years and I can tell you that the lab for site-to-site VPNs with 3rd party certificates were not very good. It didn't work and the instructor had no clue.
    It would have been good to have instructors that are excellent on the Checkpoint side but also "good" on the Cisco side to teach the course but that didn't happen to me.

It would have been nice to have someone to have a details of how site-to-site VPN between Checkpoint and Cisco using 3rd party certficate, in this case, Microsoft CA.

I am still digging up the paper I wrote years ago ..... Hopefully I can find it and share it here

Does anyone know if this book is in stock? I ordered from Amazon last week and it hasn't shipped yet. Typically they ship the same day or very next day.

-pat

Quote Originally Posted by pat13b View Post
    Does anyone know if this book is in stock? I ordered from Amazon last week and it hasn't shipped yet. Typically they ship the same day or very next day.

-pat
    I've already seen several purchases through Amazon that have been delivered to buyers. Is it Amazon USA or Amazon UK/Amazon Europe?

I've already seen several purchases through Amazon that have been delivered to buyers. Is it Amazon USA or Amazon UK/Amazon Europe?
    That's great. I'm looking forward to it. I just thought it was strange that the order hasn't moved in about a week. I ordered through Amazon US. I'll give it another day or so and contact them if I don't see it being shipped.

-pat

That's great. I'm looking forward to it. I just thought it was strange that the order hasn't moved in about a week. I ordered through Amazon US. I'll give it another day or so and contact them if I don't see it being shipped.

-pat
    I ordered my from Amazon US on April 9th and it arrived today.

Caveat: I have Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by David.Baldwin View Post
    I ordered my from Amazon US on April 9th and it arrived today.

Caveat: I have Amazon Prime.
    Thanks for the updates. That might be the difference. I do not have the Amazon Prime.

-pat

Thanks for the updates. That might be the difference. I do not have the Amazon Prime.

-pat
    If you chose No-Hurry/Super Saver shipping that gives them quite a bit of latitude about when to send it to you as it usually specifies 5-9 days or something like that. I've seen other No-Hurry/Super Saver orders I've placed through Amazon (not related to my book) do nothing for 6 days then suddenly ship and arrive exactly 9 days after the order was placed. :-)

If you chose No-Hurry/Super Saver shipping that gives them quite a bit of latitude about when to send it to you as it usually specifies 5-9 days or something like that. I've seen other No-Hurry/Super Saver orders I've placed through Amazon (not related to my book) do nothing for 6 days then suddenly ship and arrive exactly 9 days after the order was placed. :-)
    Congrats, mate! I am looking forward to buy it. Is there an electronic version, too? Kindle version? I am from Europe and I would opt out for this instead of hard copy.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by laf_c View Post
    Congrats, mate! I am looking forward to buy it. Is there an electronic version, too? Kindle version? I am from Europe and I would opt out for this instead of hard copy.

Thanks!
    There is an electronic PDF version available via maxpowerfirewalls.com. No plans for kindle or other electronic formats at this time due to the time and expense involved.

There is an electronic PDF version available via maxpowerfirewalls.com. No plans for kindle or other electronic formats at this time due to the time and expense involved.
    Got it now, I will buy it next week most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by laf_c View Post
    Got it now, I will buy it next week most probably.
    One nifty feature of the PDF version is that it has clickable hyperlinks to the referenced Check Point SecureKnowledge (SK) articles; the page numbers in the CLI reference index are clickable too. Assuming you are currently logged into Check Point's site it is a piece of cake to quickly pull up SKs referenced in the book assuming your User Center account has access to them.

One nifty feature of the PDF version is that it has clickable hyperlinks to the referenced Check Point SecureKnowledge (SK) articles; the page numbers in the CLI reference index are clickable too. Assuming you are currently logged into Check Point's site it is a piece of cake to quickly pull up SKs referenced in the book assuming your User Center account has access to them.
    We'd like to buy the PDF for use in our company, but the credit card payment doesn't work. Is there another way of paying? Btw, does the PDF use Adobe DRM?

Quote Originally Posted by danjun View Post
    We'd like to buy the PDF for use in our company, but the credit card payment doesn't work. Is there another way of paying? Btw, does the PDF use Adobe DRM?
    The PDF is DRM-free and just has some very non-intrusive watermarking. I just ran a credit card transaction at maxpowerfirewalls.com to purchase the book and it worked, and there have been several successful purchases just recently. Can you please PM me with the specifics of the issue you are seeing?

--
    My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
    now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.
    Last edited by ShadowPeak.com; 2015-04-15 at 13:42.

The PDF is DRM-free and just has some very non-intrusive watermarking. I just ran a credit card transaction at maxpowerfirewalls.com to purchase the book and it worked, and there have been several successful purchases just recently. Can you please PM me with the specifics of the issue you are seeing?

--
    My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
    now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.
    I bought the book yesterday using credit card payment, no issues. Started to read it and covered first 1/3 of it, quality info, well synthesized with descriptive pictures.

The only downside I got sad about it's that does not cover IPSO platform (95% of the FWs I take care are IPSOs). Bottom line: well spent money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast