CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Guidelines for firewall policies

Default Guidelines for firewall policies

Hello all,

I am about to write a guideline for my organisation, a standard how to organize a ruleset by defining some points as
    - when to group objects, be it network or service objects
    - by number of objects in group and
    - logical reasons
    - what colors to use
    - when to split rules, when to combine rules
    - naming of new services, what colors
    - how to write a proper comment
    - use of section titles
    and so on, this sort of stuff.

The reason is to have a similar look of the policies on about 15 Gateways so
    that all engineers have the same basis on all gateways and also troubleshooting
    would be easier.

I was wondering if somebody already wrote a document like this which I could maybe use as
    a template. It is clear that this guideline is highly dependant on the organisation that it is
    designed for, but the structure could be helpful, also for not to forget important things.

TIA

bigfrog
    Last edited by bigfrog; 2014-11-24 at 06:26. Reason: typo

Default Re: Guidelines for firewall policies

Hello.

There is no such document in Check Point's repository. The biggest reason being that in the end, it is entirely up to you and your organization. I have a variety of usages in these regards, and while some seem rather clear to me, other seem rather chaotic (but it seems to work for them). The Firewall Admin Guide (for any version) has the closest things we have to suggestions in these regards.

In the end, it is far more important that any such document be adhered to and enforced... I have issues where such a document, while it existed, was not adhered to and caused far more confusion than necessary.

I wrote mine from scratch based on a number of years of experience. To give you some clues:

- when to group objects, be it network or service objects
    more than 2 similar things exist and are likely to be used in more than 1 place.

- by number of objects in group and
    as many as you need. add groups into groups if it helps you to organise eg: All-Servers group contains Windows-Servers and Linux-Servers groups which contain individual servers

- logical reasons
    whatever makes sense in your organisation

- what colors to use
    something like black or blue for internal, red for external, green or orange for DMZ, yellow for test, pink for check point things

- when to split rules, when to combine rules
    rules should not be reflexive (object shouldn't appear in source and destination), split them instead. split based on application or business owner or protocol or whatever makes sense in your organisation

- naming of new services, what colors
    check point have colours all over the shop so I don't bother, stick with a naming convention for new services

- how to write a proper comment
    Rule Purpose, Business Owner, Last Updated

- use of section titles
    Logical grouping of rules however makes sense in your organisation. I tend to do things like Inbound, Outbound, DMZ-DMZ, Management (ie non-revenue traffic), project-specific, restricted access, public access

hope this helps.

Any attempt or version of this document would be nice to share.

Thank you so far for your ideas and hints.
    I already started to write from scatch as marklar, but in a structured manner as this shall be a document for all engineers and technicans in the organisation working with the Checkpoint gateways. Many details of it will be matter of discussion of course but in the end there will be a guideline for all.

I think I can share it if you are interested.

Greets

bigfrog

P.S. Sorry, this thread should have been placed in the 'Best Practise' sub forum