CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Serious Smart-1 Problem

Default Serious Smart-1 Problem

I would like to do a Fresh Install, R75.45 Splat on my Smart-1. I have the code. Main question, can I migrate_export off the running smart-1, flat line it to R75.45 (it is R75.45 now too) then migrate_import my configs. I plant to cpconfig initially then do the import. Is that process supported? Tech has been vague on this.

Default Re: Serious Smart-1 Problem

Thats how I would do it.

migrate export using the R75.45 management tools

rebuild the Smart-1 to R75.45

run througgh initial config wizard etc

migrate import the export into the Smart-1

I guess my big question is has anyone tried this? Seems like such a simple process but it isn't spelled out anywhere I can find. I have a semi-clobbered management network, secondary failed, I rebuilt with an r75.45 fresh install but still can't SYNC. I just feel re-building my primary clean too would fix this. Working with CP for nearly a month now and getting nowhere. The primary is an old unit that started out at R70 and got to R75.45 via upgrades.
    Last edited by rmmagow; 2014-06-27 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by rmmagow View Post
    I guess my big question is has anyone tried this? Seems like such a simple process but it isn't spelled out anywhere I can find. I have a semi-clobbered management network, secondary failed, I rebuilt with an r75.45 fresh install but still can't SYNC. I just feel re-building my primary clean too would fix this. Working with CP for nearly a month now and getting nowhere. The primary is an old unit that started out at R70 and got to R75.45 via upgrades.
    I wouldn't go this route if i didn't know for sure rebuilding the primary would fix it. Just saying, worst case is something with the rebuild goes bad and now you're really hosed.

What error are you having with syncing? Alot of people here are, i'm guessing, going to say checkpoint management HA isn't worth the trouble anyway. I wouldn't say i'm one of them, but i understand why.

That being said, what is the current error your getting when you try to sync?

One other thought.

If you really want to do this you should for sure test it in a vm. Granted this means not a %100 replication as the smart-1 has a slightly different install then the open server. Create 2 VMs and recreate both and then see if they sync. If they do then you at least have a warm fuzzy and you get a lot of other positive side effects.

1. you're tested out your backup process.
    2. you've learned for sure how to do this and can make a small write up for your team.
    3. you at least have a good idea this could help and not waste time with a production outage for no good reason.

A lot of good reasons to do test this really.