CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: How to Schedule Snapshot on Splat?

Default How to Schedule Snapshot on Splat?

Hi friends,

Can we schedule Snapshot on Splat? If yes, how can we run it on specific timestamp and upload it to an SCP server without any intervention regularly?

Regards,
    Jinshu

Default Re: How to Schedule Snapshot on Splat?

What you can do is schedule backups of the Appliance to do a backup and transfer to an SCP Server.

Any particular reason you feel the need to take a Snapshot rather then Backup on the regular basis.

I normally only take Snapshots before performing Upgrades/Hotfixes etc. Otherwise I just use the Backup instead.

There is a command cpd_sched_config that replaces cron on SPLAT which may allow you to schedule Snapshots by executing the cli command on a regular basis. However the Snapshot command itself when you look at the CLI of the command doesn't have a schedule option itself.

However it isn't a command I have used myself, so I cannot really say that would work or not.

You can however schedule a backup instead of a complete snapshot, either via the CLI or the WebUI.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    What you can do is schedule backups of the Appliance to do a backup and transfer to an SCP Server.

Any particular reason you feel the need to take a Snapshot rather then Backup on the regular basis.

I normally only take Snapshots before performing Upgrades/Hotfixes etc. Otherwise I just use the Backup instead.

There is a command cpd_sched_config that replaces cron on SPLAT which may allow you to schedule Snapshots by executing the cli command on a regular basis. However the Snapshot command itself when you look at the CLI of the command doesn't have a schedule option itself.

However it isn't a command I have used myself, so I cannot really say that would work or not.

You can however schedule a backup instead of a complete snapshot, either via the CLI or the WebUI.
    Thanks Mcnallym for your reply. My intention is incase my gateway got corrupted also, my engineers should load this Snapshot in the new box and work as it is worked earlier instead of install Splat and restore the config backup (which may time consuming).

Also can you tell me what are the parameters get backup if i ran "backup" command?

Regards,
    Jinshu

Horrible idea.

Either way, you have to load Splat on the box.. And then transfer a huge snapshot file. Versus load splat, transfer a small backup, and restore it, per documented procedure.

You're attempting to add efficiency, and resulting in added time and complexity.

Yes, CheckPoint's restore process could be better. The gateway could have a way of producing a bootable restore/installation USB flash drive, and begin storing scheduled backups to it..
    Or they could have a backup function built into the management server, or SmartDashboard, or other GUI that could build a bootable flash drive with the appropriate version, and a copy of the latest backup for promptless restore so the remote site janitor could recover your firewall.. But they don't.

Would also be nice if they make PXE install of the appliances work again.. but it doesn't..

CheckPoint, if you use my ideas.. be sure to write me a check..

Quote Originally Posted by alienbaby View Post
    Horrible idea.

Either way, you have to load Splat on the box.. And then transfer a huge snapshot file. Versus load splat, transfer a small backup, and restore it, per documented procedure.

You're attempting to add efficiency, and resulting in added time and complexity.

Yes, CheckPoint's restore process could be better. The gateway could have a way of producing a bootable restore/installation USB flash drive, and begin storing scheduled backups to it..
    Or they could have a backup function built into the management server, or SmartDashboard, or other GUI that could build a bootable flash drive with the appropriate version, and a copy of the latest backup for promptless restore so the remote site janitor could recover your firewall.. But they don't.

Would also be nice if they make PXE install of the appliances work again.. but it doesn't..

CheckPoint, if you use my ideas.. be sure to write me a check..
    I agree, this could be a bad idea. If while restoring the snapshot, we need to install Splat first in either way, then my idea wont work at all. :(