CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: Difference between Checkpoint Eventia/Cisco MARS/Juniper STRM and Arcsight/Envision

Default Difference between Checkpoint Eventia/Cisco MARS/Juniper STRM and Arcsight/Envision

Is there any difference between the 2 tools ?. I think they both do security incident and event management

Default Re: Difference between Checkpoint Eventia/Cisco MARS/Juniper STRM and Arcsight/Envis

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSec View Post
    Is there any difference between the 2 tools ?. I think they both do security incident and event management
    Cisco MARS is a dead tool: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...d807189ef.html

Default Re: Difference between Checkpoint Eventia/Cisco MARS/Juniper STRM and Arcsight/Envis

as far as i know, Eventia is best suited for Check Point IPS logs. i don't even know if it takes in other vendors' data.

juniper STRM is Q1 QRadar with juniper branding and an NSM-like (i.e. awful) interface. it would probably be useful if you're an all-juniper shop. otherwise you may just look into Q1

the last i heard envision is a dying product

arcsight, logrhythm, and turbo are good event correlators for logs from all vendors. they can get pretty expensive, though

splunk is a great product for getting the data easily readable and in front of your face, but i don't know if it's correllation features compare well to the other vendors.

i'd recommend starting with your budget and narrowing down products from there

The way I describe SmartEvent (the product formerly known as Eventia) is as a SIEM and Reporting Tool focused on Check Point products.
    SmartEvent is able to process logs from all the Software Blades--not just IPS--as well as information received via Syslog from some third party products: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/h...ntia_2005.html
    http://phoneboy.com
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

What i wanted to know is whether Arcsight does something which Eventia or STRM cant do ?

I can see lot of employers asking for experience with arcsight and Arcsight training is very expensive and very few centres in my country have it.