CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Open Server to Smart-1 migration of policies

Default Open Server to Smart-1 migration of policies

Hi CP experts,

I would like to ask if it is possible to migrate a open server management policies with a Smart-1 Management server. Scenario is I have an exisiting Smart-1 that is on R75 managing a clustered FW's, and I have a Management server(open server running on R65) I want my migrate the policies and upgrade the version of the firewalls and the management server to R75 so I will be using the Smart-1. Is this possible or anyway to do it?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Default Re: Open Server to Smart-1 migration of policies

The Management Migration Tools will upgrade the policies/database on the Management Server to R75 however they would overwrite the existing installation.

What you will need to do is

1.) Upgrade the existing OpenServer to R75 ( same release as on SMART-1 ) managing the same Firewalls as does now.
    2.) Use the cp_merge tools to export the database, users and policies from the upgraded Open Server
    3.) Use the cp_merge tools to merge the users, database and policies into the SMART-1
    4.) Establish Management Connection between Gateways and SMART-1 by resetting SIC and establishing SIC connectivity to SMART-1.
    5.) Upgrade Gateways to R75 as normal now that managed by SMART-1.

cp_merge only works when the export and import are on the same version, ie R75 and R75, R75.47 and R75.47
    The cp_merge process requires you to manually add the user groups from the OpenServer into the SMART-1 as uses the fwm dbexport command and fwm dbexport which does not carry the group information