CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Qos on R77 compatible with CoreXl+SecureXL?

Default Qos on R77 compatible with CoreXl+SecureXL?

I've been looking through the QoS admin guide for R77 and I don't see any reference to it not being enabled while running SecureXL and CoreXL, last time I looked at QoS in R75 that wasn't possible. However in the dashboard The advanced Networking & Clustering option for secureXL is controlled from the gateway itself. So my question is this:

With a Checkpoint appliance running Gaia R77, can QoS be enabled while still using SecureXL and CoreXL?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Default Re: Qos on R77 compatible with CoreXl+SecureXL?

Quote Originally Posted by YerMa View Post
    I've been looking through the QoS admin guide for R77 and I don't see any reference to it not being enabled while running SecureXL and CoreXL, last time I looked at QoS in R75 that wasn't possible. However in the dashboard The advanced Networking & Clustering option for secureXL is controlled from the gateway itself. So my question is this:

With a Checkpoint appliance running Gaia R77, can QoS be enabled while still using SecureXL and CoreXL?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    To my knowledge, sadly, the answer is NO

R77 does not have CoreXL/SecureXL friendly QoS, except for the "limit" function in App Control.
    It is in the plans to remove this limitation.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Thank you for your replies. As I suspected, they just never mention it in their documentation in R77 QoS Admin guide. (Unless I'm going blind, which is likely)

Not the right place to put this but here goes, initial problems with R77, but not necessarily caused by upgrading to R77:

1. After a number of policy pushes, emails were checked for IP block list/IP reputation, but never then created a 'hole' through the firewall, was as if it decided it wasn't spam but wasn't going to do anything else. Switched of AS and mails flowed as expected.
    2. SecurID authentication linked to AD (domain 1) failed with, unknown user, Removing our second domain connection (domain 2) from the management server and it started to work again. Used to work fine with both on R75.45 Call raised with CP.
    3. Tried to enable endpoint policy management on our Smart-1 25, but when opening Smart Endpoint, says you need to enable it on the management and install database, which has already been done. Again raised with CP.

Apart from that, (touch wood) running well and stable. Compliance blade provides some good information and guidance to meet certified standards.

Is there a support ticket on
    3. Tried to enable endpoint policy management on our Smart-1 25, but when opening Smart Endpoint, says you need to enable it on the management and install database, which has already been done. Again raised with CP.
    If so, can you please provide the number, so we can have a closer look at the issue?

Thank you for your replies. As I suspected, they just never mention it in their documentation in R77 QoS Admin guide. (Unless I'm going blind, which is likely)

Not the right place to put this but here goes, initial problems with R77, but not necessarily caused by upgrading to R77:

1. After a number of policy pushes, emails were checked for IP block list/IP reputation, but never then created a 'hole' through the firewall, was as if it decided it wasn't spam but wasn't going to do anything else. Switched of AS and mails flowed as expected.
    2. SecurID authentication linked to AD (domain 1) failed with, unknown user, Removing our second domain connection (domain 2) from the management server and it started to work again. Used to work fine with both on R75.45 Call raised with CP.

Apart from that, (touch wood) running well and stable. Compliance blade provides some good information and guidance to meet certified standards.
    You can guarantee that at the Check Point updates for when they have a new release out that the first question out is

"Does QoS work with SecureXL now?"

Usually get the same answer of is aware of it and R&D say can have a quick and dirty fix, or a real fix. Everyone wants the real fix, however no idea when it will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    You can guarantee that at the Check Point updates for when they have a new release out that the first question out is

"Does QoS work with SecureXL now?"
    Only from some customers. :)
    But it is a common enough question that it pops up regularly.
    I wasn't aware there was a quick and dirty fix for this issue, but I know a real fix is coming and should make a number of customers happy.

Quote Originally Posted by eldadli View Post
    Is there a support ticket on

If so, can you please provide the number, so we can have a closer look at the issue?

This was raised with our support supplier, who raised it with CheckPoint. I have been informed it is now with Checkpoint R&D to look for the cause and a solution. I'll try and get the checkpoint reference in the meantime, just glad it's working its way through the support levels.

This was raised with our support supplier, who raised it with CheckPoint. I have been informed it is now with Checkpoint R&D to look for the cause and a solution. I'll try and get the checkpoint reference in the meantime, just glad it's working its way through the support levels.
    I am actually from Check Point's RnD and I believe I am looking at your ticket. Just wanted to be sure it is the same issue.
    If you can contact me directly at eldadli@checkpoint.com and supply the name of your company and support supplier, we might be able to speed things up.

Thanks for the info. I've just emailed you my details.

If you have support tickets on either of these issues, can you shoot an email to me (my CPUG username AT checkpoint DOT com)?
    I know Eldad is looking at #3 already.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    Only from some customers. :)
    But it is a common enough question that it pops up regularly.
    I wasn't aware there was a quick and dirty fix for this issue, but I know a real fix is coming and should make a number of customers happy.
    I'm absolutely delighted that this is being looked at finally! Unfortunately, the QoS functionality is kind of a must have for us and it really guts me knowing how much we could potentially improve performance with currently incompatible features like SecureXL/CoreXL. :(

Will most definitely be keeping a close eye on release notes in upcoming releases as a solution to this would really make my day!

Just to clarify, does anyone know if R&D are working on both SecureXL and CoreXL compatibility? Or just SecureXL?
    Last edited by Reevsie147; 2013-11-01 at 12:06.

Hi,

FYI, the R77.10 EA program overview states that QoS is now supported with CoreXL and SecureXL.

Quote Originally Posted by tatapoum View Post
    Hi,

FYI, the R77.10 EA program overview states that QoS is now supported with CoreXL and SecureXL.
    Many thanks for the post tatapoum, have been waiting for this for what seems like years! Great news!

QoS with secureXl and CoreXL....as the Churchill dog says....'Ooohhhh yesss'. Looking forward to testingR77.10EA.