CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it yet again - That's right, the 3rd edition is here!
You can read his announcement post here.
It's a massive upgrade focusing on current versions, and well worth checking out. -E

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Check Point R77

Default Re: Check Point R77

Quote Originally Posted by serlud View Post
    Please also provide build number which you have used - 225, 230 or 237 .

Stability and happiness can vary depend on build number..
    Apologies for not replying earlier. Build number is 230. Just seen on the checkpoint support page (Page created 13 Nov, updated 30 Dec) that R77.10 should be released on Jan 15.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com...tionid=sk95746

From the link:
    • R75 customers looking for best quality for their current functionality should consider R77.10 or R75.47.

I sure am glad I upgraded from R75.20 to R76. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RayPesek View Post
    From the link:
    • R75 customers looking for best quality for their current functionality should consider R77.10 or R75.47.

I sure am glad I upgraded from R75.20 to R76. :-)
    At least you skipped over R75.40--I think I like your approach. I do think its ironic that they're advocating the use of software [R77.10] that's not even out yet. That's like saying Windows 8.2 is the best version to date. ;)
    Its all in the documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by melipla View Post
    I do think its ironic that they're advocating the use of software [R77.10] that's not even out yet. That's like saying Windows 8.2 is the best version to date. ;)
    But with Windows 8.2, you don't know when it's coming out.
    With R77.10, you now know. :)

In any case, the primary focus of the R77.10 release is additional quality/stability improvements, including the handful of R75.47 fixes that were missing in R77.
    http://phoneboy.org
    Unless otherwise noted, views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    Yep, before the end of 2013, right? :-)

Know what? The product was supposed to be released at the end of 12/2013 then it is being delayed again until 01/15/2014.

PhoneBoy, how does one know for sure that R77.10 will be released on 01/15/2014? Unless you know something we don't, it is just an empty promise from Checkpoint, again.....

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
    PhoneBoy, how does one know for sure that R77.10 will be released on 01/15/2014? Unless you know something we don't, it is just an empty promise from Checkpoint, again.....
    As a general rule, I'm not allowed to discuss release dates on upcoming Check Point product releases.
    Likewise, as a general rule, Check Point doesn't publish expected release dates.
    In this case, an expected release date for R77.10 was published in sk95746.

When Check Point says the next release will come out in about 3 month until end of this year, then of course that is not for certain.
    But when they announce a specific day, then it will be either that day or at least very close.

And I would have been very worried if they would have delivered R77.10 on 31st of December, because that would mean they only released it to keep the promised date and not because they think they have finished and did a good job. So I am very pleased that they took some more days but will (hopefully) present a good product.

In general I am a big fan of the release date "when it's done". I don't care at all to have it one week earlier or later, but I do care very much about it's quality.

Likewise.

Looks like marketing has pushed out the notification about the R77 release before the actual binaries are available: Check Point R77 Delivers ThreatCloud Emulation Service to Tackle Zero-Day Attacks | Check Point Software

R77 binaries are now available as of 2 September 2013: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com...tionid=sk92965

New features in this release include:

1. Threat Emulation: Prevents infections from undiscovered (zero-day) exploits, new variants of malware, and targeted attacks and advanced persistent threats (APT).

2. HyperSpect: An intelligent, adaptive content inspection engine that maximizes hardware utilization through a wide spectrum of optimizations and accelerations, including hyper threading technologies that will deliver real-world performance improvements up to 50% on the high-end platforms.

3. Compliance Software Blade: the first next-generation-firewall-integrated and fully-automated compliance monitoring solution that leverages an extensive knowledge of regulatory requirements and over 300 Security Best Practices.

4. Integrated Central Device Management in SmartDashboard, which helps to eliminate configuration errors in complex environments and reduce the operational cost of managing and maintaining security environments.

5. Updates to Gaia, which will allow upgrades with up to 90% fewer downtime and an improved WebUI.

6. Identity Awareness now integrates with RADIUS and (soon) IF-MAP.

7. Improvements to Licensing with automatic license retrieval and data synchronization between Check Point UserCenter and the security management console.

8. Lots of general stability fixes.
    Hi
    Does anyone know if HyperSpect will work on OpenServer Installations? I heard some rumors that this feature is only available on Appliances
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by kaland View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone know if HyperSpect will work on OpenServer Installations? I heard some rumors that this feature is only available on Appliances
    Andre
    You are correct, it is only supported on Check Point Appliances (specific ones at that).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123