CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: E75 client works for awhile, then won't start, have to re-install?

Default E75 client works for awhile, then won't start, have to re-install?

Endpoint Security version VPN E75.30 Build 835017083 on Windows 7 Pro SP1
    SPLAT Check Point VPN-1 (TM) & Firewall-1 (R) R75.30 - Build 066

Client works for awhile and then won't start. I have to remove and reinstall. It did the same thing with an earlier build.
    Tell tale symptom the icon disappears from the system tray. It's still in the All Programs list. But when you click on it. It don't start. No response at all.
    After uninstalling and rebooting we run the cpclean utility and then reinstall. Works for awhile (months) then no joy.
    I've had this happen on multiple laptops. HP's and IBM's.
    I use lammbo's instructions to create install packages.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Let me know if you need more info.

I've googled for it and searched the forum.

Default Re: E75 client works for awhile, then won't start, have to re-install?

We've seen something similar, in most cases we can reboot and the icon re-appears. One thing you can try is to go to task manager and kill the TrGui process and restart the client from start menu, that should have the icon appear in the system tray without having to reboot / reinstall. It's something we've seen with all versions of E75.

HTH
    Its all in the documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by melipla View Post
    We've seen something similar, in most cases we can reboot and the icon re-appears. One thing you can try is to go to task manager and kill the TrGui process and restart the client from start menu, that should have the icon appear in the system tray without having to reboot / reinstall. It's something we've seen with all versions of E75.

HTH
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try your suggestions. I've a user reporting the problem this morning.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue at a client site. About 30% of all clients (many :-|) have the problem.
    Did the trgui.exe restart procedure resolve the issue?

Does anybody know if E80.50 has similar issues?

Cheers
    dj0Nz

Quote Originally Posted by djonz View Post
    Hi,
    Haven't tested E80.50 too much, however I think I've seen it happen once--regardless try upgrading the big offenders to E80.50 or E80.42 (which is actually newer than E80.50) and see if it helps.

I've also seen it happen when users are sharing computers. The VPN icon will only show for the first user but not for second--you have to log off the first user before the second user can see it.
    Its all in the documentation.

Meanwhile, we got a hotfix from Checkpoint R&D but that doesn't solve the problem either.
    I will give E80.42 a try...

Meanwhile, we got a hotfix from Checkpoint R&D but that doesn't solve the problem either.
    I will give E80.42 a try...
    I've been installing E80.50 Build 98600125 and so far it's been working. It's been about two months now and we've not had that problem on any of the laptops it's been installed on. I'm using the CP_EPS_E80.50_RAC.msi file. None of these users share their laptops. I also build an .msi file to automate the install using the instructions melipla wrote up awhile back.

I'd tried both a manual install, and the automated install, when I was having problems and the manual installation didn't work any better.

Let us know how it goes for you. It's a bit of a relief to know someone else is having the same problem.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue at a client site. About 30% of all clients (many :-|) have the problem.
    Did the trgui.exe restart procedure resolve the issue?

Cheers
    dj0Nz
    Also restarting trgui.exe didn't work, nor did rebooting the laptop. Once that icon disappeared from the Notification tray I had to remove and reinstall.