CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: How to configure an appropiate QoS Policy

Default How to configure an appropiate QoS Policy

Hi all:

Although I have worked with CheckPoint products, I'm far from being an expert and in particular I'm even further away in the case of QoS. Need some tips, documentation, coaching, whatever is available in order to understand and configure QoS policy appropriately.
    A couple of questions I have are:

What's the difference between Log and Account?
    If I have 2 interfaces with QoS, shall I divide the link bandwidth in the configuration or shall I put the complete bandwidth on each link?

Thanks

Default Re: How to configure an appropiate QoS Policy

Log will make an entry in the Tracker
    Account will make a note of the ammount of data sent.

Account Logging is useful if you want to know how much data is being sent, we use Account Logging along with Reporter to tell us how much data a customers servers are using as an example.

The Bandwidth you place on each link should be for that link. So if you have an external line at 10Mbps and a second at 100Mbps then the first interface you would set the QoS at 10Mbps for that interface and 100Mbps on the second.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    The Bandwidth you place on each link should be for that link. So if you have an external line at 10Mbps and a second at 100Mbps then the first interface you would set the QoS at 10Mbps for that interface and 100Mbps on the second.
    Just to be sure, this means that if I have a HA scenario with 2 boxes connected to a switch and the 6.5 Mbps link connected to that switch, I should give 6.5 to each of the interfaces (and not 3.25 each), right?

Quote Originally Posted by walterdp View Post
    Just to be sure, this means that if I have a HA scenario with 2 boxes connected to a switch and the 6.5 Mbps link connected to that switch, I should give 6.5 to each of the interfaces (and not 3.25 each), right?
    If you have HA then you have 1 Cluster connected to the Switch. Not 2 Boxes. As such whilst each box has it's own connection into the switch, there is only 1 HA so you allocate 6.5Mbps on the Clusters External Interface

When you have a Cluster then the QoS is configured at the Cluster Level on the External Interface so there is only 1 interface, not 2.

If you have two seperate boxes, that are not formed into a Cluster then you would need to split the 6.5Mbps between the two boxes, however that is not an HA system, but two seperate systems that are not Synchronised. Wether you split as 3.25/3.25 or 4/2.5 depends upon how much traffic require for each box.

For QoS purposes then a Cluster is 1 box, not 2. Wether the Cluster is HA or LS doesn't matter you treat as a single device and the 6.5Mbps is configured on the Single External Interface in the Topology of the Cluster.