CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Backup not working from secondary firewall

Default Backup not working from secondary firewall

I have a scheduled backup for both my firewalls (Secure XL cluster of 4205s running R75.30) which is set to SCP the backup file off to a remote server. For a period of time this worked just fine, however recently it has stopped working on the secondary box. I have tried running manual backups using the web interface, and also the command line, but I always see the same error, "Failed to transfer the package to the remote servers: 192.168.1.10". I know that the credentials I'm using are correct as the same method works from the primary box every time.

After running the backup from CLI with the -d flag I can see that the backup always fails at the stage that it tries to send it over to the SCP server, but when monitoring the active connections on this server I never see an attempted connection from the firewall.

Can anyone please point me in a direction where I can troubleshoot this further please?

Also, is there any kind of email notification possible for this so I don't miss the fact that the backups are failing in the future? I guess a script could call the backup, and then call a mail client on the firewall if there is such a thing?

Cheers in advance.

Default Re: Backup not working from secondary firewall

Instead of SCPing with the scheduled backup, you can have it save locally. Then, you can and write a separate script to manually transfer the file and if it fails, have it notify you.

Thanks, I think I'll look into that. Is there a built in mail client on the boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andim View Post
    Thanks, I think I'll look into that. Is there a built in mail client on the boxes?
    sendmail is installed on SecurePlatform and you can use that to send email alerts if needed.

Great, thanks.