CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Backup not working from secondary firewall

Default Backup not working from secondary firewall

I have a scheduled backup for both my firewalls (Secure XL cluster of 4205s running R75.30) which is set to SCP the backup file off to a remote server. For a period of time this worked just fine, however recently it has stopped working on the secondary box. I have tried running manual backups using the web interface, and also the command line, but I always see the same error, "Failed to transfer the package to the remote servers: 192.168.1.10". I know that the credentials I'm using are correct as the same method works from the primary box every time.

After running the backup from CLI with the -d flag I can see that the backup always fails at the stage that it tries to send it over to the SCP server, but when monitoring the active connections on this server I never see an attempted connection from the firewall.

Can anyone please point me in a direction where I can troubleshoot this further please?

Also, is there any kind of email notification possible for this so I don't miss the fact that the backups are failing in the future? I guess a script could call the backup, and then call a mail client on the firewall if there is such a thing?

Cheers in advance.

Default Re: Backup not working from secondary firewall

Instead of SCPing with the scheduled backup, you can have it save locally. Then, you can and write a separate script to manually transfer the file and if it fails, have it notify you.

Thanks, I think I'll look into that. Is there a built in mail client on the boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andim View Post
    Thanks, I think I'll look into that. Is there a built in mail client on the boxes?
    sendmail is installed on SecurePlatform and you can use that to send email alerts if needed.

Great, thanks.