CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: R75 exam platform question

Default R75 exam platform question

Hi All

I am planning to renew my CCSA from R65 to R75 and then probably look at the CCSE.

I have been off in Cisco world for a while and see some new arrivals with CP, mainly Gaia. My question is, what platform (SPLAT, Gaia, IPSO) is used for the exam? I can obviously use SPLAT in a VM and I also have an IP390 I can use for IPSO but I am not to certain about Gaia and if I can run that in a VM also or on my IP390.

Seeing I would like to start playing asap, if anyone can advise what platform I should be using that would be great.

Thanks
    VD

Default Re: R75 exam platform question

When I looked at the R75 test exam then seems to cover both SPLAT and IPSO. I haven't seen Gaia related as that is R75.40. The IP390 will run Gaia, just make sure is disk based, as Gaia needs a 2Gb Flash and the IP390 Flash only shipped as 1Gb Flash Cards.

Gaia runs fine in VMWare, just set as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 64 bit and works fine.

I have R71 exam passed so my CCSE is covered till 2015, so is going to be another 3 years before I start looking at the exams again.

I just took the CCSA and CCSE classes. Gaia is not on the exam. However there is a separate exam for some of the blades including a separate Gaia exam, if you want to get that cert as well. I believe the individual blade exams you just take online at home, and not at a testing center. Theres also an IPS exam I believe.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

So is it worth spending the $600 each on the workbooks for CCSA/CCSE? Are they of good quality and actually help me to save time studying.

I'm not against the idea of spending the money, especially if by covering the right things for the exam (and not covered irrelevant things) I cut my study time down. $600 to save a few weeks of study seems like a good investment to me if they do infact do so.

Hi,

I took the R75 CCSE back in May (after doing the course in January, but they didn't realise the exam until May!!). The course was well worth the time and very useful, However the R75 books are relatively useless. I failed on the first time I took the exam as the R75 book doesn't cover all of the exam content. There was a lot of R71 questions (in fact I remember about 5/6 of the questions being carbon copies of questions from the R71 practice exam and 1 of the questions in my R75 exam went as far as referencing R71 directly.

I would advise going through the R71 Checkpoint admin guides as a reference (as well as R75 admin guides) and practicing using VM gateways/management (I personally setup a vmware workstation CP R75 cluster and separate management to play about with). $600 is a steep price for those books as they are pretty thin and not a great deal of useful content. Following the exam haven't used them much, manuals are much better. Looking at the older R71 books a colleague had these seem much more useful.

Hope this helps

Furthermore, just to add, the exam covers IPSO and SPLAT but is mainly focused on SPLAT.